SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Blake's Seven
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:54 am 

Hopefully this will be something new, inspired by the old Blake's Seven.

I had an idea a while back to do a B7 re-imagined campaign, but the ideas never fully gelled in my mind. Here are a few fragmentary ideas:

Dial up the cybernetics a bit.

In the old show Blake is a politician, in this he's part of an engineered administrative caste with a cybernetic interface into the network that controls the federation (and an NPC). This is how he overcomes the pyche defences on the Liberator - he uses his data link to interface with Zen and either Zen scans his mind and decides Blake is a worthy commander, or Blake strikes a mysterious deal with Zen. As a result of their link, Blake can't leave the Liberator (at first, Orac changes that later).

Gan is a cybered up human forklift that went crazy due to illegal firmware loaded by his employers, who bribed their way out of it and sold him out.

Villa gets high-tech makeover too, with a chameleon suit and a few gadgets but is as miserably risk-averse as ever.

Avon needs to makeover whatsoever. He's just rock exactly as he is.

Jenna is an ex-pirate so in addition to the leet pilot skillz she gets tons of underworld contacts and streetwise. There's hardly a planet she hasn't been to, wretched hives of scum an villainy a speciality.

Cally, pychic combat goddess. 'Nuff said.

So that makes for five PCs - Avon, Gan, Villa, Jenna and Cally.

But then I've come to the conclusion the best way to do this for an RPG would be to completely re-skin the whole thing. Use you're own oppressive fascist (soviet, whatever) interstellar government, let the players generate whatever characters they want and just rip off the 'prisoners escape in a giant alien high-tech spaceship) completely. It's just not the Liberator and they're not the original characters and there doesn't even have to be seven of them.

I came to the same conclusion for Stargate and Star Trek. Going the 'unreasonable facsimile' route gives you and the players the most creative freedom.

Simon Hibbs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:12 pm 

Simon, your version is great, I would go with that.

I would keep Vila though, he is just a coward accidentally caught up in it. The most believable character IMHO.

I am currently reading (and recommend) Neal Asher's The Departed which has an Earth Government depicted as how I would see the Federation. It is an extreme version of that shown in the B7 opening episode where the earth government is desperate, corrupt and broke and in a vicious circle where it ploughs all money and resources into surveillance, prisons, police etc. as the public are so downtrodden they are constantly in a case of terrorism/revolt/food riots etc. So the government have no way out but to use up more resources to increase the military crackdown which leads to more poverty & riots, etc.
This kind of desperation and inability to properly control it's civilian's would give a reason for the Federations actions and reliance on the military - rather than they 'wear black and are evil' approach which always annoys me.

Spica Publications
Infinite Stars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:24 pm 

Quote:
This kind of desperation and inability to properly control it's civilian's would give a reason for the Federations actions and reliance on the military - rather than they 'wear black and are evil' approach which always annoys me.

Yeah, but, there is the whole black leather fetish thing that the Federation had going...after all, ever notice how Servalan is portrayed in white...in which she was anything but.

I like the idea of the post-B7 normal timeline. As the good thing about the original series is that the conclusion (although hotly contested) - the Empire won. And, in Space Opera that is a rather rare thing. So, any reboot can could carry on a struggle against the Federation. But, I have a copy of the B5 RPG, so I can do that any time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:47 pm 

I've done the occasional bit of B7 reimagining myself... I was a sort of unofficial technical advisor for some of the audio-dramas(seems like years ago, cos it was lol)... I did star maps and breakdowns of how drive systems would work etc. If I recall, they used the name of 1 star after I produced a star map spanning 300 lys :( ...

They wanted 'hard' sf, so I was working out how fast the liberator's nacelles would have to spin to generate 1 gee (having decided that it was a spin habitat)... I also cam up with a bit of business to initially really annoy the fanboys, and then give them a serious squeeee moment... in my scenario, the liberator is found because it's grazing on a planetary ring to give it raw materials to repair itself... which is how the prison ship finds it... and new 'cassini' division in a planet's ring system would draw a bit of attention... when found, the ship is 'unfolded'... open panels, struts sticking out all over the place, basically NOT looking like the classic shape.... only when Blake and crew activate the ship and fly it away does its fold up into something close to the classic shape we know and love... oh, and if I remember correctly, Cygnus Alpha was around 16 Cygni A :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:25 am 

@Cormoran1966 - that sounds very cool.
Buying everything by Big Finish is on my "when I win the lottery" list! :-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:22 am 

Since the thread is sort of active again, here's some Blakes 7 miniatures stuff I came across recently:

This guy has some lovely B7 figures all painted up.
http://sisolders.wordpress.com/category ... /blakes-7/

And here are the Liberator and pursuit ship lookalikes on Shapeways, a 3-D printing service:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/140617/l ... Box-search
http://www.shapeways.com/model/263316/a ... Box-search

The same designer has some great atomic rocket models, and a few other B7 designs there as well.