SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:07 pm 

This is a fantasy(ish) movie made in Spain and is in Spanish with English subtitles. I saw it on the IFC channel.

It is REALLY good. The story takes place in a small village in Spain during WW2. A little girl who loves to read fairy tales, sees a real fairy and later finds out she is the long-lost princess of the Underworld (Fairie).

What I loved about this story is that they don't shy away from the realities of WW2 facist Spain and the reactions of the people. You could remove all of the fantasy elements of the movie and it would still be a good WW2 movie.

The ending is very nice and ambiguous.

Highly Recommended.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:53 pm 

A Guillermo del Toro classic.

Also despite the fantastical aspects and the little girl protagonist, this is in no way a children's film.

Simon Hibbs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:08 pm 
Administrator

I have to say, this film is by far one of the most unpleasant movies I've ever had the misfortune to watch. It's pretty much the only movie that I wish I could erase completely from my mind. I'm sure it may be a well-made film, but I did not find it an enjoyable experience to watch in the slightest. There are films and shows that I watch where I could think "damn, that was grim" and still enjoy it, but this went through that line into something horrible that I just wanted to get away from and never think of again. I don't enjoy watching brutal violence, and this film has lots of it. The sad thing is that the fantasy elements were pretty good, but I thought the rest of it was thoroughly repulsive.

Plus, I thought the end wasn't really that ambiguous, which made it even more depressing.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:33 pm 

If this movie was that unpleasant for you, I have to wonder how you rate something like Robocop or Starship Troopers. I'm not trying to antagonize you, it's just that there are literally hundreds (probably thousands) of movies that make Pan's Labyrinth pale in comparison with regards to violence.

"I'm not suggesting anything Doctor. If I want to throw a baby out an airlock I'll do it."- President Laura Roslin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:47 pm 
Administrator

Oculus Orbus wrote:
If this movie was that unpleasant for you, I have to wonder how you rate something like Robocop or Starship Troopers. I'm not trying to antagonize you, it's just that there are literally hundreds (probably thousands) of movies that make Pan's Labyrinth pale in comparison with regards to violence.

Oh I find Robocop and Starship Troopers to be hilarious, largely because there's no way you can take them seriously at all (and they weren't intended to be either). Heck, I thought Silence of the Lambs was fine. It's the nature of the violence in Pan's Labyrinth that disturbs me so much - first that this sort of thing actually happened on a regular basis, and also that it was just done in such a casual way and so callously. Plus it was pretty graphic in places. (I generally don't like Tarantino movies for similar reasons. I liked Pulp Fiction, but I watched Jackie Brown and that affected me in a similar way).

TBH I'm not even that comfortable talking about it. It really disturbed me.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:16 pm 

On another tack, I speak both Spanish and English fluently. There was one point where the English subtitles just could not cover what was a very interesting part of dialogue. When the mum and the girl are in bed the first night. They are hearing the night noises of the settling of the house. The english went something like "These old houses creak alot" the spanish said that "these old houses groan/complain" the spanish is a great metaphor characterising the house as a groaning old person settling down for a rest and complaining of their aches. The verb is gruñir.

I think I understand what Constantine is getting at. This was graphic violence against believably played innocent children. It was a fairytale of the little matchgirl variety. Things did not "work out alright" in the end. However there was no particular moral lesson being taught. It was not like little red riding hood where, if she did not talk to strangers, thing would have been alright. She was undeserving of the violence heaped upon her. Her character was sympathetic and beliveable, hence you shared her tension and pain. There is no happy out from the Spanish Civil War. Guillermo Del Toro grew up in Mexico listening to Spanish Exiles talk about the war, so the movie was a mix of childhood myths and terrible tales of wartime survival.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:25 pm 
Administrator

JustinInOz wrote:
I think I understand what Constantine is getting at. This was graphic violence against believably played innocent children. It was a fairytale of the little matchgirl variety. Things did not "work out alright" in the end. However there was no particular moral lesson being taught. It was not like little red riding hood where, if she did not talk to strangers, thing would have been alright. She was undeserving of the violence heaped upon her. Her character was sympathetic and beliveable, hence you shared her tension and pain. There is no happy out from the Spanish Civil War. Guillermo Del Toro grew up in Mexico listening to Spanish Exiles talk about the war, so the movie was a mix of childhood myths and terrible tales of wartime survival.

It wasn't just violence against children. The violence against adults was more horrifying for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:35 pm 

Doc I understand your position perfectly. My wife had similar thoughts when she watched it. What she liked about the movie was how the fantasy and real world elements were so separate and yet so entwined within the little girl.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:13 am 

I borrowed the movie from the library a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Then the little girl died, which ruined the movie for me. So I see where EDG's coming from (I remember another scene with a pistol-whipping).

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:28 am 
Administrator

Jame Rowe wrote:
(I remember another scene with a pistol-whipping).

That's the part I'd rather banish from my mind forever.