SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:26 pm 

So today I read on i09 via Entertainment Weekly that SyFy is working on both Ringworld as a multi-part TV event as well as Childhood's End.

Laugh? Cry? Toss the TV over a cliff?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:33 pm 

Depends on who works it and what network is going to show it. If it is done RIGHT, then it could be AWESOME, if it is done by adding gunfights and scantily clad damsels in distress, it could still be awesome, but not RIGHT.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:12 pm 
Administrator

Oh dear gods, is nothing sacred?

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:26 am 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
Depends on who works it and what network is going to show it. If it is done RIGHT, then it could be AWESOME, if it is done by adding gunfights and scantily clad damsels in distress, it could still be awesome, but not RIGHT.

Putting clothes on Teela Brown?

I expect the actress will insist.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:11 pm 

Not so sure... did you ever see the horrible movie "Life Force?". The main character (a female) spends about 2/3 of the movie completely naked... It was about the only redeming feature of that Piece of Garbage. (don't tell my wife I said that!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:29 pm 

Lifeforce.... hmm... I think one couldn't classify the 'main character' as an 'actress'.... she was about as expressive as the figurehead of Sinbad's ship in Golden Voyage... possibly less so.... Were people aware (if memory serves) it was based on a Colin Wilson story that's actually part of the Cthulhu Mythos? (and personally I preferred the redhead :lol:)

The Sci-fi channel version of Dune was far superior in overall delivery (though less quotable) than the David Lynch version IMO, so they can on occasion get something fairly right... not perfect, but I think the intent and the respect for the original material was there...

Ringworld is an interesting thing to try and take on... all the things one would have to get right.... Peirson's Puppeteers... Kzinti... General Products hulls... all the variant human species on the ringworld... as well as another notable example if they managed to get as far as a sequel... Frankly I'd like to see them try, and succeed... to try, and fail, would be saddening, and would also most likely put the kibosh on any further attempts at adapting respected works of speculative fiction by the channel that should in theory be its natural home...

Slightly off topic, I think HBO could do a Kick-ass version of the Belgariad... Game of Thrones for a younger market anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:11 am 

Ringworld and Ringworld Engineers are two of my all time favorite novels. So I will hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:25 am 

Cormoran1966 wrote:
The Sci-fi channel version of Dune was far superior in overall delivery (though less quotable) than the David Lynch version IMO, so they can on occasion get something fairly right... not perfect, but I think the intent and the respect for the original material was there...

Definitely, The Lynch Dune was on TV a few years ago so I watched it again and then looked up the Sci-Fi channel version as I'd heard about it. So, so, so much better. The way they expanded the role of Irulan and used her interactions with the main characters to avoid the mental dialogue problem was genius. I also loved that they just rolled Dune Messiah and some early parts of Children of Dune into the story and made it all feel so much more complete.

Simon Hibbs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:11 pm 

Well said, Simon... I'm proud to say that I have both Dune and Children of Dune in my DVD collection... and it's my profound hope that Ringworld will join them, and I'll be just as proud of that too...

Especially if we end up with a collection of 'Tales of Known Space'.... ooh, I just got chills :)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:17 am 

Cormoran1966 wrote:

I completely agree. Lynch's version seemed obsessed with Baron Harkonnen's (sp?) pustules.

Cormoran1966 wrote:
Ringworld is an interesting thing to try and take on... all the things one would have to get right.... Peirson's Puppeteers... Kzinti... General Products hulls... all the variant human species on the ringworld... as well as another notable example if they managed to get as far as a sequel... Frankly I'd like to see them try, and succeed... to try, and fail, would be saddening, and would also most likely put the kibosh on any further attempts at adapting respected works of speculative fiction by the channel that should in theory be its natural home...

A mini-series maybe? Or how about a limited run TV series where they spread it out over 13 episodes. If successful, follow up seasons could be the other books.