SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The Expanse
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:13 pm 

It does get a bit more space opera in the later episodes, but within the setting it makes sense.

The cliff hanger is awesome.

It has been picked up for a second season by SyFy here in the US, so hopefully that will be just as good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:28 pm 

Good! I hoped it would be.
It was good enough that I read the book (I liked the book a bit more due to more detail).

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:25 am 

Finished watching the first (existing) season of this... Wow! Haven't watched such good SF for years.

The plot is very well written and well-woven. No annoying "filler" episodes - everything is "big plot", or at least is revealed as such in the end. No dull moment.

This is in the spirit of the kind of sci-fi I grew up on in the mid-1990's: Larry Niven, Arthur C. Clarke, Robert Heinlein, Kim Stanley Robinson - and of course Alien, Total Recall, and Babylon 5 (The Expanse has many places reminding me very much of Babylon 5's "Down Below" and Zocalo). And the System Shock and Descent computer games from the early-mid 1990's.

The Expanse even managed to keep the industrial look from Alien and other 1970's/1980's sci-fi classics while allowing for modern computer tech and touch-screens, and did it very cleverly and seamlessly.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:13 am 
Administrator

Hey, I finally watched this! Really enjoyed it. I agree it's got a nice Alien-like feel to it, but of course that probably comes down to it being harder scifi. The end was... well, I thought I had one episode left on the DVD so it was a bit of a shock that the ended it like that! But it was really good.

Also, Naomi is awesome!

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:52 pm 
Administrator

So... they didn't really do anything with the Mormon ship did they. I guess that's set-up for events in later seasons?

Also what was the little pill that Lopez (the Martian guy on the Donnagher) was taking when he was interrogating people? I guess it was some kind of intelligence enhancer or something to make him sharper?

And in the end, were the mystery stealth ships actually OPA?

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:50 pm 

We don't KNOW!

Which is awesome.

There are lots of books in the series that they can use, so it should be several excellent seasons before they have to get creative on their own. Staying close to the source material should be a good way to keep the quality up - the books continue to get great reviews.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:37 pm 

EDG wrote:
So... they didn't really do anything with the Mormon ship did they. I guess that's set-up for events in later seasons?

That's my guess.

EDG wrote:
Also what was the little pill that Lopez (the Martian guy on the Donnagher) was taking when he was interrogating people? I guess it was some kind of intelligence enhancer or something to make him sharper?

Yes.

EDG wrote:
And in the end, were the mystery stealth ships actually OPA?

No one knows.

I recently started reading Leviathan Wakes, which is the first book in the series. While I'm only 15% of the way in (It's 561 pages!), all of the chapter titles deal with Holden and Miller. Chrisjen, the somewhat ruthless UN woman, isn't listed at all. Apparently she doesn't enter the books until Caliban's War, book 2. I believe that they're running all of the storylines as they happen. That's why we're also seeing the Mormon ship.

So far, the book, Leviathan Wakes anyway, and TV show are in sync, but the characters are slightly different. In the book, Miller seems a tad bit more sober and a little less...odd. Holden seems to have more respect from Naomi and Amos.

Season 2 starts Wednesday, Feb 1st.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:30 pm 

EDG wrote:

Finally got to that spot in the book. It's a "focus pill." It enables him to notice the slightest facial tics that indicate a subject is lying.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:39 pm 

EDG wrote:

The answer to that question comes up in season 2!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:19 am 

I'm a little horrified that I'm about to say this, but...

As of season 2, the TV show is better than the books. The people making this show are doing an amazing job.