SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Expanse [spoilers!]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:27 pm 

Anyone watching The Expanse? Not sure how widely available it is outside the US right now.

Seems to be getting better as it progresses. The first couple eps are a little wobbly, but the quality rapidly improves. It's approaching the quality of the better BSG eps. My only real quibble is that the audio isn't always great, and I occasionally have to rewind.

Aside from a real WTF moment with a certain wrench (you'll know it when you see it, and you'll yell at the screen) the show does a decent job of doing what I might call "cinematic hard SF".

If you liked the books -- and why wouldn't you? -- I'd recommend taking a look at the series.

If you haven't read the books, I recommend those too.

Post subject: Re: The Expanse
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:52 pm 

Started watching the series on TV.
First 3 episodes down ... rest on DVR waiting for me to find some free time.

My nose is a little sore from being led around by it and some of the personality juxpositions are a little more trope than I might have liked ... the loving grandmother who casually tortures for the 'good of all' (meh).
Overall, better than most shows.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:21 am 

I like it, but not having read the novels, it makes me think of Larry Nivens work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:43 pm 

I'm enjoying the series. Haven't read the books yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:47 pm 

Thanks for the heads up on this one. I will add it to my DVR list.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:27 pm 

I particularly enjoy seeing the settlements on Ceres and Eros. Gives a real gritty feel to things. Adds a bit of color to all of those lifeless rocks in Traveller.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:39 pm 

I finally caught up and my wife and I binged watched it to the end of the 1st season.

I do like how the two main storylines dovetailed together at the end, but not in a way that was totally expected.

While I REALLY like the grittiness of this, I still have trouble with the whole "There is no water in space" premise that sets up Ceres. There is more water/ice in the outer asteroid belt than there is on Earth (not actually sure of this, but there is a LOT), so there should be no shortage of water once you get beyond Mars - but that is the basic premise of the show.

Once you get past that, it is a very gritty, hard science show with interesting, flawed characters with hidden agendas and backgrounds that are not revealed too quickly. Some shows give characters secrets and then have to tell you within a few episodes instead of letting it simmer for a while. The Expanse lets things simmer with its characters, which I really like.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:27 pm 

Got my grubby hands on the first season. So far I've watched the first two episodes.

Finally, some good sci-fi to watch! I like the atmosphere and visuals, they remind me of Alien and Event Horizon very much... Also a bit of System Shock...

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:38 pm 

Yeah, it is very good. I could see this as a setting for a Traveller adventure in Foreven or something.

Vague background, Megacorporation in-fighting, Distant (and relatively ineffective it seems) Government...

It has FTL comms though, but that isn't that big a deal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:44 am 

Watched two more episodes. This really feels like Traveller. Space combat is almost perfectly Book 2, only with more nuanced missiles, autocannons in place of beam lasers, and railguns in place of pulse lasers. But it feels just like I've imagined a Book 2 space fight.

I also like the visual design of this setting - this is essentially Alien with touch-screens (and without androids, so far). Machines look like machines. No fancy nano-tech (so far). Almost no technobbable. Not just hard sci-fi, but hardline, gritty sci-fi. I can indeed see Alien being set in this universe once they invent a primitive FTL drive and suspended animation.

One of the best sci-fi stuff I've watched in years. Even better than Firefly and BSG, IMHO. Sci-fi like it should be. Hopefully, this will get multiple seasons.

And yes, governments function just like in Traveller, albeit with somewhat better communications.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King