SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:32 am 

Suppose that you were in a position to tell Hollywood to make one SF movie or one SF TV series. What big-budget picture or HBO series would you green-light?

I'm torn between Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light on one hand and Niven's & Pournelle's The Mote in God's Eye on the other. Either of them would have to be a TV miniseries, because they have too much substance to squeeze into two hours, but that's okay. Lord of Light has more colour and movement, and would be easier to film with today's technology. But The Mote in God's Eye is better at showing SF as the literature of ideas. Also, Lord of Light might cause some religious offence to Hindus.

For the sake of playing the game I'll specify The Mote in God's Eye.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:38 am 
Administrator

I'm still waiting for that Space:2099 series...

The Ring of Charon/Shattered Sphere books by Roger MacBride Allen would be awesome as a series, if only he'd actually finish writing the damn story.

Or just come up with something original.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:31 am 

EDG wrote:
Or just come up with something original.

You're only getting to green-light a project, not write, produce, or executive-produce. So if your choice is "just come up with something original" you are going to have to give that instruction to someone else. Who are you going to call?

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:42 am 
Administrator

Well, I'm sure Stephen Baxter or Alastair Reynolds could come up with something!

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:31 pm 

My shortlist for a TV series would be:
- CJ Cherryh's Downbelow Station
- Ian MacDonald's Chaga
- Alastair Reynold's Blue Remembered Earth
- Lois McMaster Bujold's The Warrior's Apprentice
- John Wyndham's The Kraken Wakes

Since we've just had a great radio adaptation of The Kraken Wakes on Radio 4, that one drops to the bottom of the list. If I had to pick just one, them it would be Downbelow Station.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:31 pm 

Strontygirl's list pretty much sums it up for me.

I MIGHT add:
The City and the Stars by Arthur Clarke - REALLY big vision SciFi that starts off small and builds - Probably a miniseries.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:52 am 

Make System Shock (computer game from 1994 which is now getting a faithful remake) into a modern horror movie. This would be awesome! Though it might be even better as anime ala Ghost in the Shell.

Another computer game I'd love to see make it to the TV screen is Alien Legacy, also from 1994:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Legacy

STL sleeper-ship reaches a distant star-system which was supposed to be colonized by a previous STL sleeper-ship - only to find it abandoned. Can the new colonists find out what has happened to the previous colonists, and avoid their fate?

And finally - STALKER! It already has a Russian philosophical sci-fi movie of the same name from the 1970's (on which the game is very loosely based), but a criminal/action TV show would be awesome.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:21 pm 

Golan2072 wrote:
And finally - STALKER! It already has a Russian philosophical sci-fi movie of the same name from the 1970's (on which the game is very loosely based), but a criminal/action TV show would be awesome.

AFAIK both are based on a novel named "Roadside Picnic"; the only new element in the game is the Chernobyl angle.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:08 pm 

Yep. The game is very similar to the book, a bit less similar to the movie.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:39 am 

Hmmm... I think I would choose A Deeper Sea by Alexander Jablokov.