SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:41 am 

Jack Vance, who was fond of coining words for novel social statuses and emotional states in the societies he imagined for his works, once described an unique emotional reaction felt by humans who returned to Earth after lives and long periods spent on other planets. Does anyone recall off hand what the reaction was called and which book it was first described in? I think it was mentioned in Ecce and Old Earth, but I am pretty sure that it was mentioned earlier and described more thoroughly in another book, perhaps one of the "Demon Princes" series.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:11 am 

Here we are! It's the chapter quote for Ch. 4 of The Palace of Love

[indent]

From Introduction to Old Earth, by Ference Szantho

Erdenfreude. A mysterious and intimate emotion which dilates the blood-vessels, slides chills along the subcutaneous nerves, arouses qualms of apprehension and excitement like those infecting a girl at her first ball. Erdenfreude typically attacks the outworld man approaching Earth for the first time. Only the dull, the insensitive, are immune. The excitable have been known to suffer near-fatal palpitations.

The cause is a subject of learned disputes. Neurologists describe the condition as anticipatory adjustment of the organism to absolute normality of all the sensory modes: color recognition, sonic perception, coriolis force, and gravitational equilibrium. The psychologists differ; Erdenfreude, they state, is the flux of a hundred thousand racial memories boiling up almost to the level of consciousness. Geneticists speak of RNA; metaphysicians refer to the soul; parapsychologists make the possibly irrelevant observation that haunted houses are to be found on Earth alone.

[/indent]

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.