SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:44 am 
Administrator

I have seen Rogue One! It vastly exceeded all my expectations (which were already quite high!). No spoilers in this post... just go see it. It is amazing.

(we can talk about it here, but all spoilers MUST be hidden behind spoiler blocks!).

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:14 am 

I agree - go see it, everyone!

As an aside, I don´t think it´s a spoiler to say that it closed a - in hindsight, pretty gaping - plot hole in A New Hope.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:23 pm 

Just saw it last night with my wife and kids. We all loved it. Thought it was much better than Force Awakens. Definitely recommended.

Not sure this is a spoiler, but I'll block it anyway.

Spoiler:
I thought it was really cool that they were able to bring back some old characters from New Hope: Gold Leader, Red Leader, Leia, and Governor Tarkin. While Gold Leader and Red Leader appeared via archival footage, the digital supposition of Cushing and Fisher over the actors for Tarkin and Leia was a bit spooky. I don't think Tarkin did anything but look menacing throughout the whole movie.

I think Forest Whitaker was great and underutilized. Maybe his character, Saw Gerrera, will get his own standalone film.

Overall, I thought all of the new actors did a great job. And I really enjoyed the story. Hopefully, episodes 8 & 9 will show a similar quality in writing and not be rehashes of what came before.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:36 pm 
Administrator

DED wrote:
Spoiler:
I thought it was really cool that they were able to bring back some old characters from New Hope: Gold Leader, Red Leader, Leia, and Governor Tarkin. While Gold Leader and Red Leader appeared via archival footage, the digital supposition of Cushing and Fisher over the actors for Tarkin and Leia was a bit spooky. I don't think Tarkin did anything but look menacing throughout the whole movie.

Well....
Spoiler:
I loved CGI Tarkin. They got the character and voice right anyway, though the actual CGI was still just a little bit off (as with Leia). Not quite "uncanny valley" but the eyes weren't quite right, and the shadows on his face didn't look as deep as on Krennic's in the same scene.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:11 pm 

EDG wrote:
DED wrote:
Spoiler:

Well....
Spoiler:
I loved CGI Tarkin. They got the character and voice right anyway, though the actual CGI was still just a little bit off (as with Leia). Not quite "uncanny valley" but the eyes weren't quite right, and the shadows on his face didn't look as deep as on Krennic's in the same scene.

Well...
Spoiler:
CGI Tarkin being "off" kind of works in his favor. He´s the guy who blows up planets for shit and giggles and wipes out his own side´s technical archives plus the personnel stationed there, just to off his annoying rival. Plus he is at least an equal to Darth Vader, apparently. He should be unsettling.

Which of course makes Leia mouthing off at him in ANH even more awesome.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:14 pm 

I did see it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:14 pm 

I did see it.

No, that's not a double post. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:15 am 

I agree with you guys about the cgi characters you hid being a bit off. I think that's why the second person really spooked me. It seemed like they almost did that person right, but not quite. Yeah, the eyes.

And I agree about Sir Chaos's point regarding the first cgi character being off working in his favor. As I said, it made him seem more menacing.

I wonder if they'll do anything different to the rendering when they put it out on DVD.

My sister didn't have anyone to see it with (her husband and kids went lame on her), so I saw it for a second time. Still enjoyed it, but knowing the cgi people were there made them easier to handle. I guess I got used to them.