SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:51 pm 
Administrator

I am cautiously optimistic...

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:27 pm 

Harrison Ford is the king of genre movie franchises.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:37 pm 

Oh man, I hope they didn't screw it up.

So it takes place 30 years later. Hmmmmm.

2019 used to seem so far away. Now it's just three years out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:26 pm 
Administrator

DED wrote:
2019 used to seem so far away. Now it's just three years out.

Almost two years really, since we're in December 2016 :)

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:09 pm 

Looks interesting, but I don't know how they will pull it off without Vangelis.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:37 pm 

If it is half as good as the original, it will be the best movie of the year... Just saying

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:50 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
If it is half as good as the original, it will be the best movie of the year... Just saying

5% as good and it could still do it. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:28 am 
Administrator

They don't screw it up :)

Seriously folks, go see this film -preferably in 2D IMAX. It's an audiovisual masterpiece - I wanted to freeze every frame because they were works of art! The scale of things is incredible. And the sound is brilliant - there where it's needed, absent when it isn't (and when it is there, it's bone-judderingly boomy in IMAX. And Hans Zimmer is involved so you know it's going to be awesome). It's an incredibly immersive experience.

The story's decent too. It's not fantastic in and of itself, but it works. The worldbuilding behind it all is rather spectacular too (in fact there are three little prequel shorts on youtube but I do NOT recommend watching them before the film. Watch them afterwards as they do contain spoilers - not so much themselves, but Denis Villeneuve (the director) talks about things a little beforehand in at least some of them that gives some stuff away). Be warned as well that it is a very long film (2h 44m) and very slow-paced. Just drink in the sound and vision and drown yourself in it.

Anyway, get thee out there and watch this film!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:38 am 
Administrator

24 hours after watching, and I think I've refined my feelings about BR2049 a bit. I still think it was an audiovisual masterpiece... but that's pretty much it. It's an amazing experience and worth it just for that, but as a film? I don't think I can really say that I thought it was a great film, and it's not something I could really watch again (unlike the original Blade Runner). It's kinda like a really heavy, amazingly good meal - definitely worth having but perhaps only once in your life :).

I think the soundtrack was a big part of the experience - listening to it on spotify now, it does really take me back to the film (though why they broke it up with the Elvis and Frank Sinatra tracks is beyond me, they're too jarringly different). But again it's not a soundtrack I can really listen to repeatedly since it's not really musical, it's more like it's pure ambience. It's the sort of thing I used to like listening to with the lights out while doing absolutely nothing else.

So yeah. I think it's an experience, definitely worth watching once and to be savoured for that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:29 pm 

Quite a few of my friends have seen it and they were disappointed. At 3 hrs and 18 minutes, they felt it was about an hour too long. Tough to overcome a good story when it Ddddrrrraaaaaagggggssssss on so much.

I may wait for it to come out on video... :(

I was hoping it would be better.