SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:51 pm 
Administrator

That wouldn't really make sense either. I'll explain what I think once you've read it ;)

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:20 pm 

Just finished Part 3.

It reminds me of Inconstant Moon, the first Larry Niven short story I ever read.

Simon Hibbs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:37 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
Just downloaded them and look forward to reading them.

Regarding the "Center of the Universe" thing... Perhaps they meant the OLDEST part of the universe, the location where the first solid matter cooled out of the hot soup of the Big Bang?

My understanding is that the early universe was extremely homogeneous due to smoothing out caused by extremely rapid, exponential inflation. The variations in the cosmic background radiation are very small. This means that barring very slight irregularities due to quantum fluctuation in inflation, every region of the universe underwent the same phases of cooling and matter formation at the same time.

That's why wherever we look in the observable universe, every part of it appears to be the same age, once you account for distance and light speed lag. The galaxies and stars we observer 5 billion ly away appear to be 5 billion years younger than the ones near us.

Simon Hibbs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:51 pm 

OK, I have read all of the scripts....

I see your point. It doesn't make sense based on what we know today about the Big Bang and how the Universe expands.

Still a Whopping good story with a great ending.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:18 pm 

The wrap up is fine, the physics is ropey as we've discussed, but not unfixable. Aside from that the only criticism I have is that it's a bit rushed, but bearing in mind the amount of effort that must have gone into it that also seems a churlish complaint. I think this is why the first few episodes seem the most satisfying, as they're the best paced.

I'm enormously grateful to the author. I loved Universe and the abrupt ending was a sever disappointment. I generally despise the term 'closure' as a bit trite, but I suppose in this case it's apt.

Simon Hibbs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:28 am 
Administrator

Yeah I'm chatting with the author via email about the centre of the universe thing :).

But yes, it's kinda awesome isn't it. I like that Earth has changed (though I was hoping for the Wraith to attack en masse...), though I wasn't really sure about what the Luciens' motive was. But the Epic Space Battles were pretty cool, I liked the idea of the Eloi and Destiny's secret mission, and how they wrapped up the Novus stuff, and the end was just... well, epic. I liked that some of the characters didn't make it, and also I like what happened to Rush too (shades of that episode where they found the alt-Rush!) :).

It's really well done. I was pretty much watching the show in my head as I was reading it. In fact it was so good that I had trouble sleeping that night, which is what usually happens when I watch something really awesome and it's still whirling through my head as I try to process the awesomeness :).

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13