SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:02 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: Free SFRPG Resources
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:00 am 
The Revelator

Thank you for the insight. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:57 am 
Banned

The Thing wrote:
The Unpleasant truth I referred to was that the guy running Space Gamer wasn't someone I wanted to send money to.

Ah, was he an Al-Qaeda Terrorist? A Barry Manilow fan?! The guy that wrote the Icecream truck jingle?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:32 am 

Ah ... is Space Gamer owned by Steve Jackson ? :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:22 am 

From time to time I will watch programs from the Research Channnel courtesy of Dish Network. It offers videos covering all sorts of fields. These videos can be downloaded from their website:
http://www.researchchannel.org/prog/
It might help us non-scientists keep the science in science fiction a bit more believable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:14 am 
Administrator

Here's a handy article I found about SF worldbuilding:
http://www.sandrewswann.com/fiction/ess ... ldbuilding

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:20 am 

Here's a very handy resource: the Internet Stellar Database.

Compiled from professional sources, and updated with new measurements from time to time, this site collects the available information about nearby stars (all known within 75 light-years except for some dim solitary red dwarfs with lousy data, and a lot of the brighter and better-known stars to 250 light-years). The database includes stellar ages, masses, and metallicities where these have been determined, orbital parameters of multiples, and the masses and orbits of known planets (though those of course keep going out of date!)

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:17 am 

I used that database to keep my Excel Spreadsheet up to date.

Metallicities are a good indication for the possibility of planets. No one is quite sure what the lower limit is, but the higher the metallicity, the more likely rich metal deposits will exist, it is also possible that it would be a good indication of the possibility of complex life...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:26 am 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
Metallicities are a good indication for the possibility of planets. No one is quite sure what the lower limit is, but the higher the metallicity, the more likely rich metal deposits will exist...

Yes. But considering that astrophysicists count every element except hydrogen and helium as "metal", perhaps that isn't as thrilling as it sounds.

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:54 pm 

True, but I figure if there is not a lot more around that H and He, then there is a much less likely chance of there being rocky planets.

In my Near Earth setting, I use Metallicity as a DM for the presence of planets. I only use about 50% of stars having planets, so Metallicity can play a part of which is which.

Tau Ceti is a good example, a very sun-like star but with such a low metallicity it should have a less likely chance to have planets than a more metal rich star like Epsilon Eridani.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:53 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
True, but I figure if there is not a lot more around that H and He, then there is a much less likely chance of there being rocky planets.

Oh, indeed! Asteroids, too. I am intrigued as to whether (when we have a statistically robust survey of which nearby stars have gas giants) it will turn out that the number and mass of gas giants is correlated with metallicity.

Quote:
Tau Ceti is a good example, a very sun-like star but with such a low metallicity it should have a less likely chance to have planets than a more metal rich star like Epsilon Eridani.

Indeed. I am fascinated by the dust torus orbiting Tau Ceti.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next