SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:01 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: Free SFRPG Resources
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:09 pm 

Technovelgy.com has a large collection of descriptions of technologies and gadgets from hundreds of pieces of science fiction.

This nuclear weapons effects calculator only considers air-burst explosions in Earth-like atmospheres, but is handy anyway.

In a similar vein, the Earth impact effects calculator is handy.

I love my Astogator's Handbook (There's a free download with 300 stars, but I lashed out for the de luxe edition with 3,500 stars.)

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:57 pm 

The old (well, ancient) Universe RPG once published by SPI and
soon after murdered by TSR has managed to survive and still is
available in the form of a clone:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/universerpg/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:50 pm 

YOINK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:46 pm 

Here's a website where you can download my GURPS Handbook of the Planets. This is an Excel workbook with no macros that implements the basic and advanced star system generation sequences from GURPS Space (4th edition), and is substantially faithful. (The few deviations from the algorithms given are documented on the website.) Only astronomical and planetological details are covered, though the Handbook will generate population carrying capaicty if given a tech level, and GDP if the population and tech level are supplied by the user.

The star system and planet generation sequences from GURPS Space 4e are detailed and fairly realistic, and their output appears in real units etc. rather than anything game-specific. That means that this generator is as useful in other games as it is in GURPS.

The GURPS star system generator has a really clever backwards-or-forwards that allows you either to generate the whole system from the top down, starting with the star and generating planets at random, or to start by specifying the planet you want and then generating a plausible astronomical context for it. Both sequences are implement in the Handbook of the Planets. This system generator also allows you to generate stars at random, or to enter the characteristics of a desired star and work with those in either planet-generating mode.

This star system generator works from an explicit, user-supplied seed for its pseudorandom number generator. This allows systems to be recorded very compactly: the generator can be used as a catalogue, and the seed as a catalogue number. Supplied with the same seed, the generator will reproduce the same system.

I have provided a link to this before, in Board index » OTHER RPGs » General World and System Building. But this is where people looking for such resources will more likely find it.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

Last edited by Agemegos on Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:14 pm 
Administrator

Some handy links (and interesting reading) about colonies and interstellar trade (from Nyrath):

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/stellarcolony.php

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/stellartrade.php

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:10 am 

Some online resources I enjoy:

Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design: How to & how not to. http://www.islandone.org/Launch/AkinsLaws.html

Big Ideas, Grand Vision: the SF RPG I'd like to play. http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa/Game/BigIdeas/index.html

Epic Words: site of my current campaign. http://www.epicwords.com/campaigns/1948

After the Terracide... 300 years from today, artificial space colonies orbit distant stars while terraformers labor to create new worlds for humanity. Bizarre aliens come to trade exotic goods unknown to Terran technology. And the lifeless, charred husk of mankind's homeworld slowly cools in the empty, silent void of a dead star system.
Welcome to the rest of the Galaxy; It's Dark Out There.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:45 pm 

I didn't see these listed above, and (although I imagine from reading around this is not a popular system here), the last owner of West End Games released d6 as Open Game Content. So all the WEG generic d6 books are free for the taking/using.

You can find them at: http://www.d6online.com/forum/showthrea ... Books-Link

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:54 pm 

I have a gallery of starship renderings on my website. There are a bunch of different types of ships, and multiple shots of each ship.

http://0-hr.com/Future_Armada/Gallery.htm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:12 am 

Ki_Ryn wrote:
I have a gallery of starship renderings on my website. There are a bunch of different types of ships, and multiple shots of each ship.

Nice!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:34 pm 

Technically this is "commercial" but it's pay-what-you-want and OGL. Details 2D hexagon-based starmaps and Cepheus/2d6 Sci-Fi SRD for near-Sol space.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next