SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Nano Fabrication
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:00 pm 

atpollard wrote:
Everything is available pretty much everywhere, but in far different ratios of common vs rare from one location to another.

In the spirit of keeping this as factual as possible, is there a resource where the distribution of "stuff" in our solar system is listed?

I know I can hand wave it but I'd like to base it as much as possible on what we know and can reasonably expect to be true for exosystems.

(ETA, I know we haven't been to most places in our own system so I guess the answer is unknown but, has someone made a stab at it?)

Post subject: Where is is all
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:00 am 

I am with Hiro here. I know that the closer in you get, the more rocky things are and it is almost a canard that "volatiles" are in the outer reaches of the solar system. I know that for example Titan has seas of what we would regard to be petrochemicals. I know that a lot of the water on Earth came from cometary bombardment.

I seem to recall that where we are is a natural place for uranium to collect. The heat from it's decay is part of what drives out plate tectonics and thus our carbon cycle.

But these a are very vague notions.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:16 am 

So much is so unknown.

Further up topic, an interesting statement was made about Earth orbit being the natural temperature for uranium to precipitate out at (giving Earth an unusually high percentage of uranium compared to the rest of the solar system). I have no idea if this is correct or not, but it offers an interesting possibility from a game perspective.

If we assume that all elements start out as a gas or liquid at the sun and naturally precipitate out at the orbital distance where the black body temperature from the sun falls below it's melting point ... Then the elemental table can be arranged by decreasing melting point and plotted by orbit to estimate where the above average concentration of each element would typically be found. This could identify which elements might be available for export on each world in the system. So mercury might have an above average ratio of very high melting point elements (like tungsten) that could drive settlement for commercial exploitation.

Again, this is probably not very accurate, but until large scale mineral exploration begins on moons in the outer solar system, nobody will really be able to prove it to be wrong. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:55 am 
Administrator

I don't think that's true about the uranium - Venus and Mercury may well have at least as much as Earth does (if not more?). I'm a bit fuzzy on the geochemistry of it but IIRC Uranium is concentrated naturally in the crust of planets (it's a lithophile element, so it binds well with oxygen and doesn't sink to the core).

Interestingly we know that at least some of our planet's uranium was formed in a supernova 6.6 billion years ago (so it's 2 billion years older than our solar system!). That's pretty cool. :)

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!