SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mythical Aliens
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:05 pm 

Since High School I have been toying with the idea that all my aliens are actually represented in mythology. This is probably influenced by the "Watchers at the Well" series by Jack L. Chalker and later the Vorlon/Angels of Babylon 5.

Basically, some of the iconic mythical creatures are actually aliens.

So you get:

Centaurs
Elves/Dwarves/Orcs etc - Demi-humans (or just humans)
Angels/Demons
Etc.

But, does that seem to cheesy these days?

My original idea was a simple 1d6 roll for which type of mythical creature the alien was descended from. So ALL aliens discovered would fall into one of the six broad categories of mythical creatures - humans being one of them (well humanoids, which would let you have elves, dwarves etc.). It would also let you interbreed with various aliens of a similar category (popular with the Star Trek crowd...)

But, I was always stuck trying to come up with iconic mythical creatures that are not just western European/greek in origin. I was looking for mythical creatures that would also be recognized by native american cultures and oriental cultures.

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Mythical Aliens
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:51 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
But, does that seem to cheesy these days?

Sorry, I think it does seem too cheesy.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:24 am 
Administrator

I think it'd be "cheesy" if you weren't careful because it would probably end up being pretty obvious what you were doing (e.g. Vulcans or Darrians = space elves). However, you could make it less obvious and more scifi-ish if you used the "mythical races" more as a general template - e.g. instead of "elves" you have "low gravity humanoid", "dwarves" = high gravity humanoid, "centaur" = hexapod (e.g. K'Kree), etc.

But I guess it does depend on how obvious you want to make it.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:00 pm 

Another vote for "cheesy" here.

Heck, these days even putting good old flying saucer aliens in your setting is starting to look cheesy.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:15 pm 

If they're represented in mythology because they visited Earth at some point long ago, then I think making decent aliens out of them is all in the execution.

Like, say, a centaur. A primitive human might have said "half man, half horse" because that was the easiest way to rationalize what they saw. But the actual alien being would be much more complex and unusual than that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:04 pm 

H.P. Lovecraft had it about right, IMHO.

After the Terracide... 300 years from today, artificial space colonies orbit distant stars while terraformers labor to create new worlds for humanity. Bizarre aliens come to trade exotic goods unknown to Terran technology. And the lifeless, charred husk of mankind's homeworld slowly cools in the empty, silent void of a dead star system.
Welcome to the rest of the Galaxy; It's Dark Out There.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:01 pm 
Administrator

Also, Arthur C Clarke's "Childhood's End" was a good way to do one mythical creature, at least.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:56 pm 

Yeah, I thought this was how people would feel. Clarke's "Childhood End" was another inspiration.

Well, another high school idea into the rubbish bin.

Thanks!