SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:12 pm 

hiro wrote:
Would a continuous beam slice like a knife?

Not without something to remove the char from the wound. A continuous beam will would like a flamethrower or acetylene torch.

There are good discussion of the wound mechanics of laser weapons in that site by Nyrath that I linked.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

Last edited by Agemegos on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:27 am 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
Maybe you could have the beams be continuous though instead of "pulses" that move towards the target like tracer rounds.

That's exactly what I have in mind :) -- having an energy beam instantly hit the target instead of a tracing like round flying towards it.

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
I don't have any scientific data to back this up, but I would think that a particle beam would be visible in at atmosphere... The particles will interact with the air molecules and cause excitation (light) which might be strong enough to be visible.

That's interesting.

I'm the controversial guy in the family. I have a negative essence and I tendency to reject the common being. I value practical things. Beauty comes always in second place. I'm self taught. I study what I want and when I want. War rages within myself ever since I can remember it. Part of me loves life part of me hates it. I celebrate nothing apart form my marriage. The rest of the year is gray like my soul. Only shouts of creativity give it some color but only when I'm next to my beloved ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:10 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
I don't have any scientific data to back this up, but I would think that a particle beam would be visible in at atmosphere...

Not just visible but spectacular, like a straight lightning bolt.

It really is worth reading that page of Nyrath's that I linked. Here's a direct link to the section on particle beams.

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:49 pm 

Yes, I should have. Good link. That Atomic Rockets site gets better and better. Every time I look at it there is some new bit of awesomeness.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:36 am 

I have been working on my game's weapon system and I've came up with this settings (ignore the blue and the gray cells as they are still being worked out):
Attachment:
RC_Weapons.JPG
RC_Weapons.JPG [ 124.71 KiB | Viewed 644 times ]

What is curious about it, is that I spent more time trying coming up with a"decent" name for weapons than coming up with the weapons' variables themselves.
Do you prefer having weapons with "realistic" names or simply having weapons being called by their common class? Like, Submachine Gun instead of TALON-SMG - 9mm Submachine Gun?
In practical terms, if you see the designation: TALON-SMG - 9mm Submachine Gun, would you refer to this weapon as a Submachine Gun or a 9mm TALON-SMG? -- assuming also that there is only one model per class of weapon. Please, take into consideration that this is for a video game and not for a complex campaign you guys must be used to play in the SFRPG world. :) The problem is that I might just be wasting time naming items in a complex way, rather than in a efficient way.

Also, the image shows the mechanics the game will take into account, including effective range and falloff. I'm making ballistic weapons having a higher effective range but with a shorter falloff. By contrast, I developing laser weapons having a shorter effective range but with a very high falloff range. Is this a plausible way to go? In the image, the falloff damage indicates the percentage and its resulting range in tiles, so, 8% is 12,5 tiles of range.

I'm the controversial guy in the family. I have a negative essence and I tendency to reject the common being. I value practical things. Beauty comes always in second place. I'm self taught. I study what I want and when I want. War rages within myself ever since I can remember it. Part of me loves life part of me hates it. I celebrate nothing apart form my marriage. The rest of the year is gray like my soul. Only shouts of creativity give it some color but only when I'm next to my beloved ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:16 pm 

Endorya wrote:
Do you prefer having weapons with "realistic" names or simply having weapons being called by their common class? Like, Submachine Gun instead of TALON-SMG - 9mm Submachine Gun?
In practical terms, if you see the designation: TALON-SMG - 9mm Submachine Gun, would you refer to this weapon as a Submachine Gun or a 9mm TALON-SMG? -- assuming also that there is only one model per class of weapon. Please, take into consideration that this is for a video game and not for a complex campaign you guys must be used to play in the SFRPG world. :) The problem is that I might just be wasting time naming items in a complex way, rather than in a efficient way.

If you're only having one weapon per class then I might forgo make/model. I prefer more diversity and like the detail of branding and versions but in game the differences between different versions is so small I can see why people just call an SMG an SMG and not a Heckler and Koch MP5K SD. The answer depend then on how you want to present the setting to the players!

Endorya wrote:
Also, the image shows the mechanics the game will take into account, including effective range and falloff. I'm making ballistic weapons having a higher effective range but with a shorter falloff. By contrast, I developing laser weapons having a shorter effective range but with a very high falloff range. Is this a plausible way to go? In the image, the falloff damage indicates the percentage and its resulting range in tiles, so, 8% is 12,5 tiles of range.

In my non scientific, I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning brain, I think lasers degrade in an atmosphere evenly. So I'd lose X % every Y metres. X varies with atmosphere type and Y is worked out around how much range you want the weapons to have. I'm sure you can actually Google this and get actual numbers of current lasers and I'd be happy starting with that. I'd also add the affect of TL and the ability to focus the laser.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:29 pm 

hiro wrote:
Endorya wrote:

If you're only having one weapon per class then I might forgo make/model. I prefer more diversity and like the detail of branding and versions but in game the differences between different versions is so small I can see why people just call an SMG an SMG and not a Heckler and Koch MP5K SD. The answer depend then on how you want to present the setting to the players!

On the other hand, brand names and versions add "feeling" to the setting. What are plain simple firearms, compared to an Uzi, a Kalashnikov or a Desert Eagle?

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:44 am 

Different settings make different approaches to naming appropriate, which is to say that it depends. In my setting there are about 220 colonies with the degree of industrial sophistication to make submachineguns (for example) and nothing better. And interstellar arms trade is interdicted, so every planet has to make its own. But no-one designs a new SMG any more: they all work from public-domain designs nine hundred years old, of which there are thousands, with scores still reasonably successful, many of those modular. In that situation there are hundreds upon hundreds, perhaps thousands, of manufacturers making SMGs, and the manufacturers' name is the last thing anyone cares about*. Virtually identical weapons are sold under hundreds of brands; their designers are long forgotten.

* One exception is Oberst, a manufacturer on Tau Ceti III which has earned interstellar fame for a range of simple and extremely reliable sidearms which have found favour among such Imperial officers who have occasion to own sidearms but who don't have time to maintain or train with their weapons.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:53 pm 

I have a class IIIb green laser pointer. If it is humid out doors there is enough scatter to see the beam even as I put the dot on a stop sign all the way to the end of the block. They won't let me bring it in to work any more.