SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:15 pm 

Hello everyone, it has been a while since I last posted here.

I'm now resuming 1 one my 4 undergoing video game projects (which I keep alternating their development as ideas randomly spawn). Anyway, I'm currently fixed on my sci-fi strategy game; you know, the typical turn based game, where 2 teams, with a certain number of units, battle each other for a specific objective. I'm now trying to develop plausible weaponry for both robots and human units for this game, which will be both ballistic and energy based. The problem is that I wish to add a sort of power measurement for each energy weapon in Killo watts or Mega watts and problem is that I miss a starting point -- a base value from where I can measure the power of weapons. I'm actually not sure what kind of energy weapon would more plausible to have between Laser or Plasma. Well, I guess laser would be a better approach?!

Here are some questions:
- How much power would be required for a laser beam to actually be efficient?
- How about their effective range?
- Would plasma be better for short distances due to the nature of the way it theoretically works?
- How about their ammo charges? They would be referenced as batteries right?

Sorry for the noob questions and feel free to mention any link from where I may get information or ideas on this subject.

Thank you.

I'm the controversial guy in the family. I have a negative essence and I tendency to reject the common being. I value practical things. Beauty comes always in second place. I'm self taught. I study what I want and when I want. War rages within myself ever since I can remember it. Part of me loves life part of me hates it. I celebrate nothing apart form my marriage. The rest of the year is gray like my soul. Only shouts of creativity give it some color but only when I'm next to my beloved ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:31 pm 

I'm a big fan of BTRC's Guns Guns Guns. Its a (relatively) generic weapon design book that gives you consistency and answers the questions you've poised well. It has conversion notes for a number of major game systems and I've worked my own for Mongoose Traveller (with house rules) tho you don't mention the game system you plan on using.

Have a look here: http://www.btrc.net/3g3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:56 am 

Endorya wrote:
feel free to mention any link from where I may get information or ideas on this subject.

Try the energy sidearms page on Nyrath's indispensable Atomic Rockets site and also Luke Campbell's How to Build a Laser Death Ray.

Quote:
Would plasma be better for short distances due to the nature of the way it theoretically works?

Plasma weapons are technobabble, but consider charged or neutral particle beams.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

Last edited by Agemegos on Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:32 am 

Agemegos wrote:
Plasma weapons are technobabble, but consider charged or neutral particle beams.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that no hard science game will let you get away with plasma guns in the Traveller ilk, from what I have read it's nigh on impossible to contain plasma in a directed beam, I can't recall which version of Traveller espoused this but, the notion that a laser can superheat the air in a channel to the target in which to contain the bolt of plasma is not feasible unless you wave really really big hands. Not to mention what the laser would heat when it was fired in a vacuum. Basically plasma grenades that explode at the end of the barrel is what you'll get but that's not very "Star Wars" blaster... a particle beam of some kind is gonna be your best bet for that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:42 pm 

Yeah, I've always thought of Plasma being an "exaggerated" technology, just from the little I know about it. Neutral particle beams seems a way better deal!
I'll have a close look at the supplied links during this weekend.

One thing that really bugs me about lasers in games and in movies, is the way they work -- I mean, bullet like? What the...?! In my game I'll make lasers look as realistic as possible; beams instantly hitting the target, as they should! :) I'm really happy to see Elite Dangerous took this approach.

Thank you very much for the info.

I'm the controversial guy in the family. I have a negative essence and I tendency to reject the common being. I value practical things. Beauty comes always in second place. I'm self taught. I study what I want and when I want. War rages within myself ever since I can remember it. Part of me loves life part of me hates it. I celebrate nothing apart form my marriage. The rest of the year is gray like my soul. Only shouts of creativity give it some color but only when I'm next to my beloved ones.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:48 pm 

In reality, you won't even see the laser beam. Modern lasers (I used some in college) have no visible beam, unless it is really foggy etc. The directed light will only be visible when there is something in the way to scatter it (to your eyes).

Think of those red dot targeting guides for guns. They are essentially lasers, but you don't see the beam most of the time, just the dot when they hit a target.

In movies and TV, they use a visible beam, that moves slower than most bullets for visual effect, not because it is in any way realistic. Just like when they get hit with a bullet and go flying backwards - doesn't happen most of the time, you just drop; but that doesn't look as cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:51 pm 

Just some quick questions.

What would be more efficient a particle beam rifle or a laser rifle? By efficient, I mean deadlier?
What about their weight? What sort of rifle would be bulkier / heavier? Or this shouldn't be a issue at all?

I just want to make sure that heavier units carry deadlier weaponry, mainly my bad ass Combat Droids and Dreadnought Droids :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:02 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
In reality, you won't even see the laser beam. Modern lasers (I used some in college) have no visible beam, unless it is really foggy etc. The directed light will only be visible when there is something in the way to scatter it (to your eyes).

Think of those red dot targeting guides for guns. They are essentially lasers, but you don't see the beam most of the time, just the dot when they hit a target.

Yeah, I'm aware of that but thanks for mention it. That's one thing I'll have to keep, I mean the visible rays. Not only because it looks cooler but mainly because my game features pixel collision detection, which allows you to miss your target just for a few pixels or barely hit it, making the whole thing more exciting (my guess).

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
In movies and TV, they use a visible beam, that moves slower than most bullets for visual effect, not because it is in any way realistic. Just like when they get hit with a bullet and go flying backwards - doesn't happen most of the time, you just drop; but that doesn't look as cool.

Yap, and lets not forget having laser weapons producing recoil when shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:27 pm 

Maybe you could have the beams be continuous though instead of "pulses" that move towards the target like tracer rounds.

I don't have any scientific data to back this up, but I would think that a particle beam would be visible in at atmosphere... The particles will interact with the air molecules and cause excitation (light) which might be strong enough to be visible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:34 pm 

Would a continuous beam slice like a knife?

Eww... messy... potential for collateral damage a gogo!

Power requirement would be a serious demand I'd have thought, depending on how much you want to wave hands with portable power storage