SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Symbols of Old Earth
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:20 am 

Attachment:
ole_earth_symbols.png
ole_earth_symbols.png [ 70.3 KiB | Viewed 414 times ]

The old astrological/astronomical symbol for the planet Earth is a circle with a cross in it. It is still used by some astronomers and physicists e.g. as a distinguishing subscript on M, D, or g for the mass, diameter, and surface gravity of Earth.

Many font designers these days seem to be realising that glyph as a circle with a cross on top, like an upside-down Venus symbol. Unfortunately that symbol, the globus cruciger, traditionally symbolised Christian dominion.

The alchemical symbol for the element earth is a triangle with a point down and a horizontal stroke through it.

There is a Chinese symbol of a square in a circle in a square that (according to some on-line site I found) denotes the Earth as a domain beneath Heaven.

Facetiously, the electrical symbol for a connection to earth voltage may be read "earth".

There are symbolic spheres, but they could refer to any planet.

And there there are various versions of a map of Earth: polar or Mercator projections, assorted views of a globe.

Can anyone suggest any other graphical symbols that might represent Old Earth?

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

Post subject: Re: Symbols of Old Earth
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:40 pm 

How about a circle with the Roman numeral "III" in it? Third rock from the sun...

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:02 pm 

The astronomical symbol is pretty common, at least in textbooks and papers.

It might help the discussion if you define the context for your question: where will this symbol be used? what other symbols will be used in contrast with it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:07 pm 

They will be used as design elements within a range of graphical, sculptural, and architectural elements, such as unit insignia, cap-badges, logos, letterhead and other identifying header elements on real and virtual pages, logos for charities and NGOs, brands, decorative motifs, friezes, bosses, capitals, medallions, medals, coins, mandalas, icons, regalia, vestments etc..

Basically, I'm considering an environment in which Old Earth is as important and pervasive a theme as Christ was in Christendom. What would be the cross, the crucifix, the empty tomb, the agnus dei, the chi-rho monogram, the fish symbol, the Madonna-and-child, the Piéta, the Deposition, and so forth of a culture in which Earth had been destroyed and everyone was cut up about it?

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:40 pm 

Either the astronomical symbol or the globus cruciger would work, the circle being Earth and the cross symbolizing a grave, since Earth is dead and gone.

Either that, or the Chaos symbol from the old Moorcock novels, eight arrows emanating from a common center, to symbolize that Earth is where all of humanity came from - maybe modified to remove the center, so the arrows emanate from an empty spot, again because Earth is gone.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:46 pm 
Administrator

I'm quite partial to the circle with the cross in it. It's very recognisable and easy to draw and parse.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:37 pm 

Sir Chaos wrote:
Either the astronomical symbol or the globus cruciger would work, the circle being Earth and the cross symbolizing a grave, since Earth is dead and gone.

Ingenious interpretation! a RuneQuest death rune right there!
Quote:
Either that, or the Chaos symbol from the old Moorcock novels, eight arrows emanating from a common center, to symbolize that Earth is where all of humanity came from - maybe modified to remove the center, so the arrows emanate from an empty spot, again because Earth is gone.

Nice! Thanks!