SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Space Stations (Cepheus)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:54 pm 

I am thinking about expanding the CE core file with a Space Station expansion.

Keeping it in the CE ship size (5000 tons and less), I was thinking that stations would be quite modular.

Using the idea of SECTIONS from MGT1 HG and mentioned in CE, I was envisioning that every station is built in Sections of 10,000 tons. Multiple sections could be attached to each other and from that you could build any sized station you want. Each section would have its own power, command and control etc. but like MGT1 HG, one of the C&C (bridges) would be the overal command. I think there would be a reasonable upper limit of between 50000 and 100000 tons; above that size, and it is cheaper to hollow out an asteroid.

For the piece-parts, I was going to use MODULES. They vary in size, but start at say 1000 tons and go up. Each module would be like a zoned area within a city - so there are Living Modules, Commerical Modules etc. and that is where I need your help. I have several modules in mind, but feel that the choices are very limited.

So, suggestions on what MODULES for space stations is what I am looking for.

Here are the obvious ones:

Living Module (staterooms of various sizes for people living on the station - apartments really)
Docking Module (docks, clamps, and facilities for docking ships) - ships on the outside
Bay Module (allows ships to come inside and can be pressurized) - ships on the inside
Commerical Module (shops etc.)
Manufacturing Module (light manufacturing, warehouses etc.)
Industrial Module (heavy industry and manufacturing)
Hydroponics Module (plants, food and park space)
Defense Module (Weapons and shields)
Construction Module (build ships)
Refining Module (smelt metals) - or is this part of an Industrial Module?????

WHAT ELSE?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:08 pm 

* Storage/warehousing

* Diplomatic/Embassy

* Customs/border control possibly including quarantine.

* Military/scout facilities - tho I'd expect them to be separate in most cases, a marine detachment stationed on a starport as either an Imperial presence (adjust per setting) or security as part of a contract with a government. I guess this could be part of the defence module but I was thinking the defence module held anti ship weapons.

* Fuel refinery and storage, integral to docking and bay modules perhaps but separate modules allow for changing supply and demand.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:18 pm 

and, if you publish it, I'll buy it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:25 pm 

* Offices, if that's not what you mean by "commercial."

* Academic/classroom/school.

* Laboratories.

* Medical facilities: hospitals, clinics, emergency rooms, etc.

* Police and judiciary facilities: courts, stations, armories, jails and holding areas, evidence storage.

* Entertainment (auditorium, theater, VR parlor, etc.).

* Arena (for sports, concerts, rallys, etc.).

* Transportation: internal subway stations and lines, slideways, etc. Neal Stephenson's SevenEves has a nice discussion of this idea.

* Waste management: trash sorting, compaction, recycling, disposal. "What a remarkable smell you've discovered..."

* Religious/philosophical centers: cathedrals, megachurches, mosques, synagogues, monasteries, temples, etc.

* Emergency facilities: evacuation centers, stellar storm shelters, firefighting, hazmat response. These might be combined with some of the above, making (e.g.) every church, school, and theater function as an evacuation center and storm shelter if needed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:35 pm 

Thanks for the ideas!

Smacked my forehead in "ah ha" when I read some of them as they were pretty obvious and I missed them. That's why I need ya'll (I am in Texas now...:) )

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:49 am 

Also, keep in mind that since space stations don't have to withstand major acceleration, unlike starships, their hulls will probably be cheaper. They will also lack drives other than a P-Plant; I would rule that a P-Plant also subsumes the cost and tonnage of station-keeping thrusters.

Also - possibly detachable bridges, detachable hydroponic modules, and mining "bay weapons" to break up large rocks.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:48 pm 

I was going to use a very light hull (much less hull points per ton).

M-Drive would be a StationKeeping drive (to keep it in orbit and make SLOW movement possible), but was toying with the idea of allowing M-1 which might be used as a DODGE maneuver during combat.

A "Z" M-Drive would produce 1G of thrust on a 10000 ton hull, so theoretically, it could be used - IF you strengthen the standard Station Hull.

Power Plant is also easy if you use 10000 ton Sections. A "Z" PP gives you a Rating of 1. Which is all you need. Thus the existing rules for size/fuel etc. can be right out of CE.

Weapons Modules would likely have an additional power plant, but I haven't decided. yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:42 pm 

The options here are almost endless. I see a fairly wide range of standard modules and nearly any other module someone could come up with using the "Customization" module. With standardized module connections almost anything is possible.