SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:53 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
 Post subject: Re: 2d6 Microlight?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:10 am 

IIRC the OGL license is unrecallable, unlike the newer GSL. OGL can't be canceled and whatever is released as Open Content remains Open Content forever; GSL (which is the license for 4E) can be modified, recalled or canceled by WotC.

EDIT: HERE is a relevant thread from ENWorld.

EDIT #2: HERE is the relevant page on Wizards' site. The important part is:

Quote:
Q: Can't Wizards of the Coast change the License in a way that I wouldn't like?

A: Yes, it could. However, the License already defines what will happen to content that has been previously distributed using an earlier version, in Section 9. As a result, even if Wizards made a change you disagreed with, you could continue to use an earlier, acceptable version at your option. In other words, there's no reason for Wizards to ever make a change that the community of people using the Open Gaming License would object to, because the community would just ignore the change anyway.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:14 am 

Is there still interest in this system? :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:41 pm 

For the fantasy version, here are the fantasy races; in a world with non-humans, use the following instead of Expertise:

Dwarves are tough and hardy - and therefore gain a +1 bonus to Physical.
Halflings are sneaky and light-footed - and thus gain a +1 bonus to Stealth.
Gnomes are bookish and well-read - and this allows them to gain a +1 bonus to Knowledge.
Humans are religious and devout - allowing them a +1 bonus to Faith.
Elves are adept at the arcane arts - and thus they gain a +1 bonus to Magic.
Lizardmen are in tune with nature - and therefore the gain a +1 bonus to Nature.
Changelings are slick of tongue - giving them a +1 bonus to Social.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:01 pm 

Re-reading it 11 years later, I just realized I can do this SO.MUCH.BETTER using the Cepheus Light baseline.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:44 am 

Golan2072 wrote:
Re-reading it 11 years later, I just realized I can do this SO.MUCH.BETTER using the Cepheus Light baseline.

I just noticed this thread for the first time - I think I wasn´t even around when you started it.

The version laid out in the opening post looks very promising. I think I might adapt this for an online campaign I am planning, with players who are all new to Traveller.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:11 pm 

I'm writing a version of this for Cepheus Light, with modernized rules. Will post the link here when it is out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:59 pm 

Stellagama Publishing proudly presents:

Cepheus Quantum
Ultra-simple, one-sheet sci-fi role-playing rules based on the Cepheus Engine! Perfect for conventions, beer-n'-pretzel games, and introducing new people to the hobby.

We provide the rules in both A4 and US Letter formats for easy printing. And, best of all: it is FREE!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/28 ... us-Quantum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:02 pm 

Good work.

A bit too light for my taste, though, I think I´ll stick to the MicroLite version.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:33 pm 

Sir Chaos wrote:
Good work.

A bit too light for my taste, though, I think I´ll stick to the MicroLite version.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:22 pm 

So here´s what I did with 2d6 Microlight:

- Split MIND into two stats, Intelligence (INT) and Wits (WIT)

Intelligence covers logical, methodical thinking, whereas Wits covers quick, intuitive thinking. Essentially, everything covered by Education in full CE is covered by Intelligence, everything covered by Intelligence in full CE is covered by Wits; Social Standing could devolve into either, but probably more Wits than Intelligence.

- Introduced two more skills, Combat and Creative

Combat covers the pure combat skills that were included in Physical, Technical and Space; Creative covers entertainment and arts skills, acting (including trying to impersonate someone or trying to keep up a false identity) and coming up with convincing lies. Creative might be a little bit niche, but I think it has its place, and besides, the folks I´m going to run this campaign for are all writers, so they wouldn´t feel at home with creative writing wasn´t covered. ;)

- Re-introduced randomized character creation

This is basically a simplified version of CE chargen: you make one success roll per term, which takes the place of the survival, promotion and re-enlistment rolls of CE. If you succeed, you get a benefit and can take another term in that career; if you fail, you get no benefit for this term and must leave the career.

Each term, you roll once on the skill table; each career has a 1d6 table with three or four skills on it. For Marines, for example, it is:
1 Combat
2 Combat
3 Combat
4 Technical
5 Space
6 Space
At first term, you get all skills on your career´s skill table at rank 0.

You get one benefit for each term in which you made your success roll. For each benefit, you can pick (rather than roll) one item from the career´s benefits list.
Every career has a cash entry on that list, typically 2d6*1000 Credits - more for careers like the Noble, less for careers like the Drifter.
Every career also has the option to take another rank in a career skill you currently have at rank 0 or 1, or increase the career´s primary stat (the one the success roll is based on) by +1.
Most careers also have a pension entry in the list, typically 250 Credits per quarter (i.e. 1000 Credits per year).
Other entries include weapons, vac suits, gear (of sorts not available for purchase right away), and membership in the setting´s equivalent to TAS.

Characters get one expertise per full 3 skill ranks (i.e. not counting rank 0 skills), which work as in Microlight.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next