SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:32 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:32 am 

Golan2072 wrote:
By the way, which subsector looks like good adventuring ground in this setting?

I think that's the biggest issue with your setting layout. These distant alien nations and so on are all well and good ... but they have little to do with each other, which means a tremendous amount of your campaign space is sort of wasted. The way your map is laid out now, the Recticulan Empire is the only good spot to set campaigns without a significant portion of your work going effectively unused.

It's a problem that exists in the 3I setting as well - it's a huge rambling setting and while some people may enjoy the idea of "zooming down" to a certain part of the Imperium and playing out local issues, it often seems like a waste that on most borders of the Imperium, you only have one major "antagonist" people. (Well, a larger problem is that once you drill down enough in the 3I, none of the geopolitical stuff matters and it's basically one largely same-y world after another.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:03 am 

Well, how would you lay out the map if you were me? I'm open to suggestions.

The United Terran Republic has a lot of potential, and is essentially the focus of the campaign. I am thinking about switching around teh Zhuzzh and the Sselessians (as I like teh Zhuzzh better) so the UTR has borders with the most interesting species of the campaign - Reticulans (with a major occupied Reticulan population under UTR rule), Cicek and Zhuzz, the "core races". The others will be less frequent, but still present as traders and merchants from afar.

Also unilke the 3I, the UTR has a wide open frontier...

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:32 pm 

What's the TL for this setting? And what level of jump is widely available? How fast can you hop around?

Seems to me a good tactic would be to organize subsectors or quadrants by type of campaign, so that if you want to to trading, set it here, if you want exploration, set it there, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:13 pm 

These maps are TL12-13, Jump-3 mostly for significantly-sized ships, Jump-1 for bigger ships, small starships can be Jump-4 or better (LBBs 2-3 jump drive tech levels as opposed to the HG/MGT TLs).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:05 am 

Golan2072 wrote:
Well, how would you lay out the map if you were me? I'm open to suggestions.

Pardon the super-crude art, it's just a sketch to illustrate the basic idea. If the UTR is the "setting" of the game, put it in the center of the map. Make the Recticulan state larger; you can allow it to off the edge of the map like in this example. This gives a very direct and immediate knowledge that they're the true power in the setting (or were) and the Terrans were something of a historical sideshow. Some alien race on the other side of the Recticulans won't matter in your campaign setting; just put the states in that will matter in your setting; immediate neighbors and those with some sort of role (like space nomads) that the players are likely to encounter. The nature of the Recticulans on that map also creates an immediate sense of mystery for anyone looking at the map: "How far does their state go? Who are their neighbors on the far side of their empire?" and I think mystery is very important in sci-fi games.

The other states in other colors are aliens; they're not all jammed up against each other; perhaps they only got star drive more recently, the Recticulans have "gate" technology in addition to Jump Drive to expand their empire more effectively, colonization is much harder than is assumed in Traveller, or something else has constrained their growth. This allows for true frontiers for each state to expand into.

Yes, there is a fragment of the UTR within Recticulan space; it's a part of the Terran state, probably some sort of historical artifact, like a lot of Terrans colonized there either by some accident of history or were settled there when relations were good with the Recticulans. Now it exists as a kind of "East Prussia" or "West Berlin" situation for the UTR; they can't abandon it for various reasons (perhaps the worlds are few but wealthy or technologically advanced or perhaps the worlds have some special place in the hearts of humans due to history), but it's a strategic nightmare for the present UTR.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:31 am 

epicenter wrote:
Yes, there is a fragment of the UTR within Recticulan space; it's a part of the Terran state, probably some sort of historical artifact, like a lot of Terrans colonized there either by some accident of history or were settled there when relations were good with the Recticulans. Now it exists as a kind of "East Prussia" or "West Berlin" situation for the UTR; they can't abandon it for various reasons (perhaps the worlds are few but wealthy or technologically advanced or perhaps the worlds have some special place in the hearts of humans due to history), but it's a strategic nightmare for the present UTR.

Or perhaps that enclave is the Sol system and surrounding stars, and the big UTR territory expanded around an area of space the Reticulans originally let the Terrans colonize as part of the carrot component of their "carrot and stick" imperialism?

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:35 am 

Sir Chaos wrote:
Or perhaps that enclave is the Sol system and surrounding stars, and the big UTR territory expanded around an area of space the Reticulans originally let the Terrans colonize as part of the carrot component of their "carrot and stick" imperialism?

It's possible! The little fragment in there was just an idea really.

Even more fragmented maps are possible - imagine if some alien power decided that it'd subject its client races to a kind of diaspora, where humans and the other races would be evenly settled along some frontier with most starsystems settled with the neighboring colonizable worlds settled by another species. It's fine as long as the overlords are around. But what happens when the overlord go away and rivalries and/or old hatreds arise?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:47 pm 

Suggested polity map change. Note that the Zhuzzh and Chuwak are no longer Reticulan client-species, at leats no directly so. The Chuwak might even be a rival (if smaller) power to the Reticulans, possibly supplying the UTR with high-tech weapons during the Liberation War. The Zhuzzh are now independent traders and scavengers/pirates/raiders whom the Reticulans now hire as mercenaries. "Core" Reticulan subjects/thralls/clients are Cicek (up to the 2230's when they joined the Terran revolt and won independence), Sselessians, Fanja-Kanja, Phnunk and Klax. Most auxilliary troops for the Reticulans are Sselessians and Cicek (later - Cicek loyalists, as opposed to the Rebels allied with the UTR) and occasionally Klax. Fanja-Kanja are mostly traders and technicians and Phnunk are usually technicians and manual workers (some rebelled and joined the UTR/Cicek alliance).

Also now everyone has an open frontier.

Matriarchate is present in the later Ashes of Empire era, and absent from the 2260's.

Attachments:
Visions of Empire 2.png
Visions of Empire 2.png [ 9.87 KiB | Viewed 535 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:00 pm 

I like this suggested revision. Where is the most political friction (or outright hostility) on that map?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:13 pm 

Matt Wilson wrote:
I like this suggested revision. Where is the most political friction (or outright hostility) on that map?

Thanks.

Big conflicts are Chuwak-Reticulan by proxy of the Sselessians and Terrans, Terrans/Reticulans (now enjoying shaky peace) and Cicek-Reticulan. And the Zhuzz cause trouble to anyone around them. When the Matriarchate will appear (second milieu), they'll cause trouble to the Terrans. So a lot of action around the Sol sector

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next