SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pluto
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:47 pm 

Would Pluto's hydro rating be A in Traveller terms? size 1 atm 1 hyd A?

Post subject: Re: Pluto
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:18 pm 
Administrator

Technically yes (with an Ic trade code), but then you'd have to make all the icy satellites hyd A (Ic) too.

But the Traveller UWPs and trade codes don't really handle things like this that well.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:25 pm 

Matt Wilson wrote:
Would Pluto's hydro rating be A in Traveller terms? size 1 atm 1 hyd A?

Can an Atm 1 planet actually have Hyd A?

We need a few non-standard hydrography ratings. Like for example:

B: No Water (with 0 representing less than 5% water, some rivers, or polar ice caps; this would replace 0 for vacuum worlds)
C: Ice (entire surface covered in water ice and/or snow, no liquid water)
D: Ice/Ocean (large bodies of liquid water covered entirely by ice)
E: Fluid (surface partially covered in non-water fluids)
F: Exotic Ice (entire surface covered in frozen non-water substance)

So, the Moon would be Hyd B, Titan would be Hyd E, Europa would be Hyd D and Pluto would be Hyd F.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:45 pm 

Sir Chaos wrote:

We need a few non-standard hydrography ratings.

Yeah, probably. For jump drive refueling purposes (and habitability) you'd need to know if there's water, and then for resource potential you'd need to know what else is there.

For worlds in the life/middle zone I'd assume with some confidence that hydrographics would be water, and the Titan-like worlds in the outer system would have more interesting fluids.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:36 pm 

Sir Chaos wrote:
We need a few non-standard hydrography ratings.

I like this solution.

I agree with EDG that Traveller is not designed to handle this. I wonder if it's in T5. ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:02 pm 

Here is what I used:

Code:
HYDRO   Meaning
0       No Surface Water/Ice
1       10% Liquid Water
9       90% Liquid Water
A       100% Liquid Water

B       10% Ice
C       20% Ice
J       90% Ice
K       100% Ice

I also have additional Size and ATM codes for non-Habitable Zone worlds. I don't have them in front of me right now, but I will see if I can dig them out.

If you go back to the original source material for the UWP (before it was the UWP) it specifically mentions that that system presented was designed to create "interesting and varied mainworlds". Unfortunately, everyone forgot that and never expanded them beyond "mainworlds" to include everything else that was out there. No reason not to include Exotic-Thin, Exotic-Standard, Exotic-Dense, Corrosive-Thin, Corrosive-Standard, Corrosive-Dense and Insidious-Thin, Insidious-Standard, Insidious-Dense, Very Dense and Gas Giant atmospheres...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:30 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
Here is what I used:

Code:
HYDRO   Meaning
0       No Surface Water/Ice
1       10% Liquid Water
9       90% Liquid Water
A       100% Liquid Water

B       10% Ice
C       20% Ice
J       90% Ice
K       100% Ice

I also have additional Size and ATM codes for non-Habitable Zone worlds. I don't have them in front of me right now, but I will see if I can dig them out.

If you go back to the original source material for the UWP (before it was the UWP) it specifically mentions that that system presented was designed to create "interesting and varied mainworlds". Unfortunately, everyone forgot that and never expanded them beyond "mainworlds" to include everything else that was out there. No reason not to include Exotic-Thin, Exotic-Standard, Exotic-Dense, Corrosive-Thin, Corrosive-Standard, Corrosive-Dense and Insidious-Thin, Insidious-Standard, Insidious-Dense, Very Dense and Gas Giant atmospheres...

Back when I was tinkering with my own system creation rules, I actually split Atmosphere into two values - Pressure and Composition. Much more flexibility...

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:27 pm 

Yeah, that is one of the biggest issues with how Traveller broke up their ATM codes.

I also don't like that ATM2-3 are breathable.

I once tinkered with changing the definitions as follows:

ATM2: Very Thin - No Oxygen
ATM3: Thin Exotic - No Oxygen

Didn't really affect the Trade Codes at all since ATM 4-9 was now the only codes with Oxygen. I made ATM4-5 mean you needed a compressor at all times (top of Everest type atmospheres) and ATM 8-9 meant Mountain Top LIving as the sea level partial pressure of oxygen was too high for humans. ATM 6-7 were the only "shirtsleeve" pressures and only ATM6 truly allowed you to not need SOMETHING up your nose.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:18 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
I also don't like that ATM2-3 are breathable.

I once tinkered with changing the definitions as follows:

ATM2: Very Thin - No Oxygen
ATM3: Thin Exotic - No Oxygen

Didn't really affect the Trade Codes at all since ATM 4-9 was now the only codes with Oxygen. I made ATM4-5 mean you needed a compressor at all times (top of Everest type atmospheres) and ATM 8-9 meant Mountain Top LIving as the sea level partial pressure of oxygen was too high for humans. ATM 6-7 were the only "shirtsleeve" pressures and only ATM6 truly allowed you to not need SOMETHING up your nose.

Yeah, this would've made for a better start to the game (CT) and offered greater flexibility going forward as far as d6-based systems go. It would've also made all of these alien worlds more alien.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:07 am 
Administrator

Instead of using codes B+ for Ice, wouldn't it be easier to stick with 0-A with a tradecode (like Ic? Or maybe Ix (like Ic, but EXTREME!). )

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!