SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:17 pm 

I hacked my Frankensteinian 2300-style system gen into a flattened Traveller near-star map. It's interesting stuff so far tinkering with the results.

I generated entire systems and chose a) best starport or b) highest pop in case of ties for the representative main world. Subsector A, being out in the corner, has a negative population modifier, so the highest pop is 7 and biggest starport is B.

Starport, BTW, is based both on population and world resources.

To accommodate large "heliox" worlds I had to add new letter values, which gave me some interesting worlds with size B, C or even D. For example, a world orbiting Gliese 810 has a diameter of 20,159 km.

The major edit I will need to make, as I mentioned in the 2300 thread, is for stars like Beta Ophiuchi (KIII), where the original zone markers have since moved.

Figuring out how to label atmosphere in terms of what counts as A B or C, I'm still deciding. With Traveller, it's a little easier to get the letter and then decide what it means, but going in the other direction is tricky.

Worlds on the map below with a blue ring are "shirtsleeve" worlds with friendly-ish blue skies.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:25 pm 

I decided Sigma Coronae Borealis A would make a pretty cool home system for an alien civ, thinking that SCB B & C would be prominent in the night sky and might shape religious beliefs and culture as the species developed.

Also, I always liked the Vrusk from Star Frontiers, so I decided that this species would be vaguely insectile and gave all the worlds buzz-chittery sounding names. They're not quite as technologically developed as humans (TL 11 tops), but they lucked out with a bunch of habitable worlds (the light blue ring indicates N/O2 atm) in their home subsector. Their society is very clan-oriented, so worlds are all either gov 1 or 3 depending on size. Homeworld could maybe be gov 7... hmm...

The human worlds that butt up against their borders are starport D/E, so there's not a lot of large-scale interaction between the two species. Lots of opportunities for free traders, I would think, assuming you have a fuel processor.

Will probably need to refine some of the world names to make sure I have some consistency with the sounds.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:39 pm 

Keep going. I like the sound of this.