SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Traveller 1977 vs. 1981
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:27 am 

Has anyone ever made a list of the differences between the 1977 printing vs. the 1981 printing of LBBs 1-3?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:39 pm 

If you have the Classic Traveller CD-ROM, look for "Special Supplement 4: The Lost Rules of Traveller". Or go to Drivethrurpg, as I believe it's also available there. In Special Supplement 4 are the differences explained. There are a fair number of them too, given the document is nearly 30 pages long.

Star Trek: Alpha Quadrant: The game Mongoose failed to make. (File Updated 5/19)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:24 am 
Administrator

Can anyone even get the 1977 rules anymore? I thought the 1981 versions were on the CD-ROMs. (I suppose Traveller fandom being what it is, there are going to be people who want to get the earliest version of the rules because they think they're the "purest" or something?).

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:45 am 

Apparently they were added to the CT CD-ROM at some point. I got the CT CD-ROM as soon as it came out, I didn't get an updated version so I was missing those. However, after emailing Marc about it he sent me the 1977 files. This was prompted by a series of blog posts on sandboxing it, and the point that the 1977 rules had trade routes which were more in keeping with a pre-OTU game than the communications routes of the 1981 books (the X-Boat routes of the 3rd Imperium).

https://talestoastound.wordpress.com/ta ... f-the-box/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:58 am 

I completely abandoned all the OTU's quite a while ago, and have been very happy with two subsectors worth of near Terra systems for my sandbox and alternate future history campaign background. This reintroduces the 'awe and mystery' quotient that any official published background lacks.

It's my answer to what I recall was the D&D Monster Manuel problem:

"What is it?"

"Well, according the the Monster Manuel, page 37, it's a (blah-blah-blah-ho-hum-you-kill-it-with-fire-let's-get-onto-the-next-thingy)"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:03 pm 

Vile wrote:
Apparently they were added to the CT CD-ROM at some point. I got the CT CD-ROM as soon as it came out, I didn't get an updated version so I was missing those. However, after emailing Marc about it he sent me the 1977 files. This was prompted by a series of blog posts on sandboxing it, and the point that the 1977 rules had trade routes which were more in keeping with a pre-OTU game than the communications routes of the 1981 books (the X-Boat routes of the 3rd Imperium).

https://talestoastound.wordpress.com/ta ... f-the-box/

There was an option at one point of getting the updated CD-ROM for $5 or something like that. The offer may still be available.

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:37 am 

I have a physical copy of the 1977 rules, and the only thing they have going for them is the random trade routes table. The refinements in the 1981 version render the older version a curiosity at best.

Star Trek: Alpha Quadrant: The game Mongoose failed to make. (File Updated 5/19)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:16 am 

Marc sent me the 1977 LBBs when I asked, and I'm ordering the updated CD-ROM now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:35 am 

Traveller wrote:
I have a physical copy of the 1977 rules, and the only thing they have going for them is the random trade routes table. The refinements in the 1981 version render the older version a curiosity at best.

Warning, thread drift approaches.

I haven't read my 1981 version for some time now so take the following with a grain of salt but some of us would say the same about the 1981 version. Not that I think there has been one definitive version to end all versions, house rules take care of that.

I was hoping T5 would be that, I was wrong. Likewise I was hoping MgT 2e would be but it's not shaping up the way I'd like to see it. I'm back to house rules!

And back to the thread...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:08 am 
Administrator

I still have to facepalm at the fact that this stuff is still primarily avalable as a CD-ROM, rather than online as downloadable PDFs.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!