SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:39 pm 

I have found that I can easily get splat books that are full of page after page of data on the history of some fictional polity and several millennia of (useless) background. I can get catalogs of equipment to convert my character into a Gun-Bunny Borg several times over. I can get books filled with strangers with adventure hooks. I can get ships in every shape, color and size with deckplans ... enough to clog all of the lanes in known space.

Yet, once I have my patron, my gear, my ship, and I awaken from the lecture on the history of known space (and wipe the drool from the corner of my mouth) ... more often than not, I am stuck in yet another anonymous starport on yet another irrelevant world in a 'who cares what is out there' system. If it is a really bad day, I am forced to endure a 'Groundhog Day' like experience of reliving some same old plot with some same old corporation and some same old sets.

What I find in short supply are:
1. Places to go.
2. Things to do.

Adventures once supplied these, but let's be frank, most companies are pushing out a LOT more RULES and EQUIPMENT and SETTING books than ADVENTURES. Historically, those adventures that were produced were as much about NEW RULES AND SETTINGS (Beltstrike) as they were about ADVENTURES.

Since I am tired of listening to complaints (and even more tired of listening to my complaints), let's do something about it. Let's create a place to go full of things to do ... a mini-adventure ... and offer it to one of those Traveller online Fanzines (Freelance Traveller?) as an advertisement for SFRPG. It will give us something to do and talk about. It will allow us to showcase what SFRPG has to offer. It will create a useful resource. It will grant SFRPG some well deserved publicity.

I respectfully suggest that the first step is that we need the good doctor to generate a fistful of those systems that he generates and select one system.
He should post the details of that system as a new topic.
This becomes the start of that place.
Then let's collectively fill in the details of this system, world by world and moon by moon, with a goal towards creating a backdrop of Places to Go and Things to Do into which a referee can insert some of those Patrons and Adventures.

Dammit, let's give the people a chance to experience more than just another spaceport ... there is a whole solar system out there and seven days to explore it!

Is anyone else interested?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:54 pm 

Arthur,

Yes, I'm interested. I've my own not quite finished system generator I'm keen to expose to the forum to get feedback and will post a system as soon as.

As has been noted, this is a low traffic forum, it might take some time to accumulate the detail I think we're both thinking of.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:43 pm 

Sounds very interesting.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:51 pm 

Sounds cool. Especially if the place is useable not just in Traveller. I rarely venture into the OTU, but am always up for scenarios to pilfer for other settings!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:03 pm 

I don't see why is should not be nearly system neutral.
The physical features are universal, so only the technology needs some sort of frame of reference.
Perhaps someone can think up a generic way to describe life forms that would allow a ref to translate to any rule system. (d20 SRD or 2d6 SRD seem like good candidates to aim for)
At a minimum, there would be absolutely no need to link it in any way to the OTU.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:47 am 
Administrator

atpollard wrote:
I respectfully suggest that the first step is that we need the good doctor to generate a fistful of those systems that he generates and select one system.
Then let's collectively fill in the details of this system, world by world and moon by moon, with a goal towards creating a backdrop of Places to Go and Things to Do into which a referee can insert some of those Patrons and Adventures.

That's basically what the System Books I did for Spica were ;).

You can always pick a few out of the ones I made on the Ultra-realistic worldbuilding thread to start from if you want. :)

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:12 am 

atpollard wrote:

I would greatly prefer that it were, since I'm very interesting in designing interesting worlds, but I tend to avoid Traveller discussions because I dislike the official Traveller universe.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:54 am 

EDG wrote:
atpollard wrote:

That's basically what the System Books I did for Spica were ;).

You can always pick a few out of the ones I made on the Ultra-realistic worldbuilding thread to start from if you want. :)

Yeah, those are great.
The only 'problem' (I wish that I had more of those problems) is that they already come with the 'adventure' built in. I was thinking more along the lines of just some background scenery that a referee could use to replace a generic 'medium world, tainted atmosphere, stuck in the Starport' to create a more interesting PLACE where the characters can run into whatever PATRON and mission that the Referee was planning on using anyway.

I think that those might be the perfect place to look for a start.
Where I would like to kick the tires on some new ideas are describing things from the observer's perspective a little more. For example, from the main world, is the sun a tiny bright dot or a giant red globe filling half of the sky? If there are plants, what color are they? If there are animals, what Earth Family do they most resemble? How about a complete ecosystem ... what eats what?

Is there regular shuttle service to other parts of the system?
What about that orbital refinery at the gas giant that is an independent colony with a population in the thousands and a source of second hand parts for starships (and an old starship boneyard).

Perhaps one of the moons houses an artist colony of about a hundred free spirits. Rumored to have one of the finest restaurants in the system. Some say the food alone is worth the trip out there.

Just background ... Places to go and stuff to do ... Waiting for a Referee to come along and supply the adventure. There are all these 'adventure ideas' published in all sorts of books, but you never have any ready made placed to actually have an adventure. THAT is what I would like to try and fix.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:08 am 

Agemegos wrote:
atpollard wrote:

I would greatly prefer that it were, since I'm very interesting in designing interesting worlds, but I tend to avoid Traveller discussions because I dislike the official Traveller universe.

Can I get a clarification?

Is it the Third Imperium that you dislike or the 2d6/TL progression of the Core Rules?

I don't see how linking it to the Imperium would help in any way, but there are lots of questions like "How do they get to orbit?" or "How long is the trip to the Asteroid Belt?" that are driven by the assumed technology and are a little harder to make completely rules neutral.

I'll be happy to make it as neutral as you can come up with answers for basic technology questions.
(I am a gearhead, so I am happy to throw out some basic data like maximum Gees and total delta V and go as Hard Science or Space Opera as anyone can make a case that we should.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:26 am 
Administrator

atpollard wrote:
EDG wrote:

Yeah, those are great.
The only 'problem' (I wish that I had more of those problems) is that they already come with the 'adventure' built in. I was thinking more along the lines of just some background scenery that a referee could use to replace a generic 'medium world, tainted atmosphere, stuck in the Starport' to create a more interesting PLACE where the characters can run into whatever PATRON and mission that the Referee was planning on using anyway.

What are you saying was great - the System Books (if so, thanks :D ), or the systems I made in the worldbuilding thread? I can see how you can say that the system books have the adventure built in, but the systems I made in the worldbuilding thread didn't. At least I don't think they did - they had an interesting physical hook perhaps, but that was about it. Are those too detailed? Would you prefer a list of UWPs to start from? (I can whip that up pretty easily).

Quote:
Just background ... Places to go and stuff to do ... Waiting for a Referee to come along and supply the adventure. There are all these 'adventure ideas' published in all sorts of books, but you never have any ready made placed to actually have an adventure. THAT is what I would like to try and fix.

I'm all for more background detail, I think the question is "would anyone care about that?", at least in the context of what you're asking? For example, in Katringa and Xibalba the system details are important to the adventures that people may have there. Xibalba is cold, dark, dead, and spooky. Katringa's belt is a very dangerous place, where the sun can searingly blind or roast anyone caught off guard. A setting for a patron to hand out jobs doesn't need to be like that at all.

Are you basically just looking for a UWP and a couple of paragraphs describing the system, kinda like a tourist guide? (e.g. "Lave is famous for its vast rain forests and the now extinct Lavian tree grub" ;) ). Can you give us an example of what you're after?

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!