SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: TAS issues
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:50 pm 

Agemegos wrote:
I like Equatorial. To start with, it is a right-handed co-ordinate system.

Guess it depends on what you're used to. I like galactic co-ordinates. Makes it easy to know which direction the center of the galaxy is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:51 pm 

LiNeNoiSe wrote:
Agemegos wrote:

Guess it depends on what you're used to. I like galactic co-ordinates. Makes it easy to know which direction the center of the galaxy is.

I like x,y,z coordinates, whatever they're called! Makes it so much easier to calculate distances with a little bit of trigonometry for those of us that don't like our stars in tidy little hexes. Messy messy stars...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:55 pm 

F,F&S was my bible back in the day. I'm trying to work on something that gives me that kind of feel without that much slog/errors.

I think using a computer to do it all is the way forward and so I am slowly teaching myself Python.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:07 am 

LiNeNoiSe wrote:
I had no idea that DriveThru confiscated 25 percent off the top. I figured ten, maybe 15 percent which would be pretty steep. Somebody over there is making a killing. No wonder games cost so much.

Going back to the OP, you think 25% is bad, try losing 50%

LiNeNoiSe wrote:
The Gypsy Knights are really pumping them out. Just poking around answered a lot of my questions. Most of them seem to be moving to Cepheus.

Losing 50% after being told by Mongoose that everything was going to be fine and dandy slapped the 3PP across the face mightily with a large herring. The exodus has hardly been surprising. Given that Gypsy Knights were one of several contributing to the development of MgT 2e I could not believe the shenanigans that Mongoose were up to.

I've stopped following it, life is too short. I couldn't decide if Mongoose were just completely inept and stupid or a bunch of utter bastards. I don't know the current state of play but I've happily embraced Cepheus and OGL.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:21 am 

hiro wrote:
F,F&S was my bible back in the day. I'm trying to work on something that gives me that kind of feel without that much slog/errors.

I think using a computer to do it all is the way forward and so I am slowly teaching myself Python.

I was mostly commenting on the lack of quality control at Errata Designers' Workshop. :D

FF&S wasn't quite as bad because most of the errata to fix it was easily available online. Plus, there were lots of discussions on the Traveller Mailing List. I tried setting up a Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet, but that was before the errata in Challenge came out.

MT was a mess. I ended up using it as a supplement for CT, Striker, and High Guard. Years later I found tons of errata online.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:37 am 

LiNeNoiSe wrote:

I guess so — if you're close to the line through Sol and the Centre — but that's not something I've ever needed to know.

Galactic Co-ordinates would be a lot more convincing if their origin were at the Centre instead of at Sol, or at least if X were measured in the direction away from the Centre instead of towards it, and if their X-Y plane were the plane of the Galaxy or at least parallel to it.

Unfortunately we don't know the distance if the Galactic Centre or [how far Sol is off] the Galactic Plane well enough to use them as the basis of a co-ordinate system, and to me the current so-called "Galactic co-ordinates" only make our ignorance conspicuous.

Still, while everyone else is happy I only complain about their chirality: if you do vector algebra using them all the cross-products come out reversed

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:40 am 

hiro wrote:
LiNeNoiSe wrote:
Agemegos wrote:

I like x,y,z coordinates, whatever they're called! Makes it so much easier to calculate distances with a little bit of trigonometry for those of us that don't like our stars in tidy little hexes. Messy messy stars...

Sure! I use Equatorial X, Y, Z.

Cartesian co-ordinate sets rule, but mu freshman physics lecturers were vehement about using right-handed sets and not left-handed sets. X cross Y must give Z, not minus-Z!

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:41 am 

hiro wrote:
I don't know the current state of play but I've happily embraced Cepheus and OGL.

I hadn't messed with games for a couple of years. I didn't know a 2d edition of MGT was coming out. I saw a discussion about the SRD at the Mongoose site, but it quickly degenerated into an argument about the "correct dice" to use for Traveller. I came over here to find out what the deal was with the OGL. I was shocked to see Omer talking about 50 percent. I see he's just released something called Space Patrol. Never did see how many pages it was, but $12 sounds a whole lot better than $30. :)

I'm glad the 3PP's are going to keep designing. Their stuff is probably better than Mongoose's anyhow. It's probably a good idea that they're all using the same set of rules. After talking to you and thinking about it a bit, I've concluded that there probably isn't a big enough market for multiple clones.

Now if only we could get MJD to start using Cepheus. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:15 am 

Keep up dude...

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 21.10.47.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 21.10.47.png [ 79.54 KiB | Viewed 158 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:17 am 

LiNeNoiSe wrote:
Now if only we could get MJD to start using Cepheus. :D

I dunno, he's been busy writing for Mongoose