SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: TAS issues
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:19 pm 

hiro wrote:
Keep up dude...

Thanks. I hate that site cuz of all the screwed-up javascript. That place is an accident waiting to happen. Only a matter of time until they get hacked. I might not have enabled all the scripts. Or, I might've had the size blown up too much and not noticed the right-hand side. I'm blind as a bat. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:27 pm 

hiro wrote:
LiNeNoiSe wrote:
Now if only we could get MJD to start using Cepheus. :D

I dunno, he's been busy writing for Mongoose

Or were you being sarcastic? :twisted:

Joking mostly. Be quite a coup if Martin started using Cepheus. I imagine he'll keep working for Mongoose as long as they keep paying him on time.

I read Sprange's "State of the Mongoose" for this year. He says the company is in the best financial shape it's ever been. Also said the second edition is supposed to make Traveller more playable.

If the company's in such good shape, why did he risk alienating so many customers with TAS? Doesn't make much sense to me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:29 pm 

LiNeNoiSe wrote:
Only a matter of time until they get hacked.

It happened already, don't recall the details, I think it was last year, I'm sure a Google search will get you more info if you're interested...

Back to the thread...

Why use DTRPG? What about selling direct or setting up an alternative?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:42 pm 

Agemegos wrote:
Galactic Co-ordinates would be a lot more convincing if their origin were at the Centre instead of at Sol, or at least if X were measured in the direction away from the Centre instead of towards it, and if their X-Y plane were the plane of the Galaxy or at least parallel to it.

If I were in the Delta Quadrant, I would convert them so that Sagittarius A was the origin, but in 2300, FTL 2448, and Universe, it makes sense to keep Earth at the origin.

Quote:
Unfortunately we don't know the distance if the Galactic Centre or [how far Sol is off] the Galactic Plane well enough to use them as the basis of a co-ordinate system, and to me the current so-called "Galactic co-ordinates" only make our ignorance conspicuous.

One could make the same argument for any star. We don't really know how close Alpha Centauri is.

I just have a hard time picturing what equatorial co-ordinates are supposed to represent. Coreward and Rimward are simple enough for a dolt like me to understand. :)

Quote:
Still, while everyone else is happy I only complain about their chirality: if you do vector algebra using them all the cross-products come out reversed

Vectors are a needless complication. :D

Last edited by LiNeNoiSe on Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:50 pm 

hiro wrote:
Why use DTRPG? What about selling direct or setting up an alternative?

Somebody should start up a competitor. I wonder how much the credit card companies gouge DriveThru? I wouldn't think it would be more than 8 percent, but who knows? I wish I'd thought of this back when I still had a little money. Even charging 16 percent would be an improvement. I guess ppl use DTRPG for the "free" publicity. Or maybe it's just groupthink and inertia.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:57 pm 

hiro wrote:
I like x,y,z coordinates, whatever they're called! Makes it so much easier to calculate distances with a little bit of trigonometry for those of us that don't like our stars in tidy little hexes. Messy messy stars...

I was actually referring to Cartesian galactic co-ordinates rather than galactic latitude and longitude. I do use those co-ordinates sometimes, but I don't like them much. Longitude is measured counter-clockwise from the origin at the center of the galaxy.

Astronomers always seem to do things back asswards. :)