SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Warp Drive
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:21 pm 

I'm puzzling over the idea of a warp drive inspired a bit by 2300 and the example in the SRD, but more of a space opera kind of engine.

What I'd like is a drive that works kind of like this:

In atmosphere: drive number is x100 kph
Within N planetary diameters: drive number is kps
In solar system: drive number is AU/hr
Outside solar system: drive number is pc/week

The numbers aren't optimal, but I'm trying to find some compromise of simplicity. It would be better if the increments were smaller (e.g. rating 2 drive is only 15% faster than rating 1), but round numbers are nice for Traveller style play.

Fuel for the drive comes in the form of creating a warp field around the craft. A shimmering bubble of ionized hydrogen or whatever technobabble something something. Travelling at FTL speeds wears away the field and requires constant replenishment on the order of 10% ship volume per pc traveled. In-system it's a trivial amount.

Maybe this warp bubble could be reinforced with metallic "dust" to provide protection against laser weapons?

So with this drive, you could have a ship that goes pretty fast, but maybe not very far because you still have fuel limitations. If I wanted more specific routes, I might say that the field becomes unstable after 2 pc of nonstop travel.

Post subject: Re: Warp Drive
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:38 pm 

Matt Wilson wrote:
The numbers aren't optimal, but I'm trying to find some compromise of simplicity. It would be better if the increments were smaller (e.g. rating 2 drive is only 15% faster than rating 1), but round numbers are nice for Traveller style play.

Try "drive number plus X" instead of "drive number" as the basis of the numbers.

At "drive number plus 5" for example, Drive-2 is 16.7% faster than Drive-1.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:22 am 

Matt Wilson wrote:
What I'd like is a drive that works kind of like this:

In atmosphere: drive number is x100 kph
Within N planetary diameters: drive number is kps
In solar system: drive number is AU/hr
Outside solar system: drive number is pc/week

The first two of those speeds might be a little slow.

• A Boeing 747 cruises at 930 km/hr, an SST such as Concorde at 2,180 km/hr. Should a spaceship be much slower? A drive-1 spaceship going straight up will take about an hour to get into space.

• Anything in a circular low-Earth orbit moves at about 7.8 km/sec. Do you want spaceships that can't go into low orbit because they are too slow? Do you want spaceships that are too slow to dock with a satellite? Do you want a setting in which people use old-fashioned rockets to put satellites in orbit because interstellar spacecraft are too slow to do that?

Quote:

How would you feel about making a rating of 5 the lowest in use?

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts on SFRPG must not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:06 pm 

So adding a zero to the first couple should solve one problem.

Although prob there should be a cap for in-atm flight, or depending on streamlining, etc.

And the multiplier effect might be all right if there's a range limitation, as with the stutterwarp.

Thanks for the feedback.