SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:21 am 

Trade Ship "Zhang Qian"

WIP
about 2000dtons total, with the full load of 80 10dton cargo modules.
The base hull should come in at ~1000dtons I think ( if not, I'll add something else to it until it comes out right )
8 gun turrets based on the other pic in my gallery, but redone to be better, 2 missile turrets ( not done yet, but based on old fashioned torpedo tubes from a WWII destroyer )
tech 10, so only jump 1, but I may just do an experiment and base jump performance on mass instead of on volume.
Frame rated by thrust it can handle with g's being thrust/mass...I'm aiming for 2 g's without any cargo.
I'll try to make it work using HePlar...it'll probably change the performance because of big fuel requirements though... 1/2G's anyone?
limited grav tech ( or none at all and you'll just have to float the entire trip ( tech 9 maybe? )
...zero-G is hardly ever talked about in Trav and it should be used to remind players that they are in space and not on a cruise ship
if need be, I'll add a rotating habitat module.....but that'd mean changing how the shuttles dock
the 2 shuttles can hold a cargo module internally ( tested with models ) and should be about 50 dtons(?) each
the fighters will be about 10 dtons and, yes, the tradeship can carry them like a mini battle-rider set-up.

I'll do updates every so often as I add more detail and some simple texturing

08Aug10 updated with some nurnies and greebles for the engines... new improved-looking fuel tanks

Last edited by Ishmael on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:41 am 

Very nice looking configuration there, Ishmael! 8-)

I note you talk about HePlar - does that mean this is designed under FF&S?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:59 am 

Not really designed with FFS1, but a mishmash of whatever I feel ...uh...'feels' right
a number of home-made bits because I think FFS1 has weaknesses too
I'll use HePlar just because I have grown to hate reactionless drives
I've decided to not use grav tech either.
That means an eventual variant with a spin habitat
Tech 9
( I hate how everything is tech 15 in the OTU....gimme my trains, planes and ships! Grav tech makes them so obsolete as to be worthless...such a waste of much coolness .... besides, spaceships should be zero-g...not a fancy-schmancy cruise liners else Travellers = tourists )

but I'm still working on the model.... I'll update the picture tomorrow...redid fuel tanks and started adding nurnies
Have to work out a method for refueling too.... shuttles will be busy as this ship is not streamlined

those aren't fins....they're radiators!
And the name is taken from a Chinese trader/diplomat who helped open trade routes such as the Silk Road
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhang_Qian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:13 am 

Cool - let the design dictate the rules, not the other way around! Oh, yeah, you answered the question I forgot to ask about the fi ... er, radiators. With HePlar, do you need spin habitation or can you accelerate long enough and hard enough to get some G? You wouldn't need that much, IIRC, 1/6 or 1/4 will do to keep people healthy?

I've never liked the idea of using shuttles for regular refuelling (in an emergency, maybe). I think ships should be refuelled at stations or by big tanker ships like in BSG (old and new).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:51 pm 

It's like an awesome looking Aurora. I have a big soft spot for the old TNE clippers, but art for them wasn't great back in the day. Those ships look great. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:18 am 

its a bit bigger than I thought...
just doing estimates from the mesh;

800 dtons cargo modules ( 80 10dton intermodal containers )
about 500 dtons fuel ( in 8 'ball' tanks and 6 cylinder tanks... this includes jump and reaction mass )
about 1,700 dtons of actual crew, passenger and machinery spaces for a total of about 3,000 dtons with full load and about 2,200 dtons 'empty'
only 10 hardpoints though

the shuttles do measure out at around 50 dtons each though ( about 37 dton fuselage and guesstimate of 13 dton wings ( fuel tankage )
so about 20 dtons passengers or loose cargo and although a 10 dton container does not fill the volume efficiently, it can be carried fully enclosed for re-entry in need be.

a little bit bigger ( by ~500 dtons ) than I originally estimated, but not fail-worthy bad.

rotating habitat variant is needed, just because it'd be cool
and a para-military "pocket carrier" to carry fighters, too

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:21 am 
Administrator

That's looking really good with all the extra detail now! What renderer are you using?

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:30 am 

its all in blender 2.48a
( once I get my daughter's computer fixed again, I'll be moving to 2.53beta along side 2.49b )

I'm using the internal render engine although I'm not doing anything fancy with it...
ambient occlusion and 2 simple lights for shadows and highlights but each tinted a slightly different color so I can tell which surfaces are being lit by which lamp

I guess I'll eventually post the .blend file in a day or two as part of the updates
it's been a while since I've done any 3d, so I'm still getting back up to speed with the key commands. I'm not a very efficient modeller.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:15 pm 

Just another question, why only 10-ton containers? They seem a mite small, especially for a ship this size.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:34 pm 

because I work near the port of Newark and see thousands of intermodal containers on trucks and trains while fixing traffic lights
The modules are a little bigger than the size of a standard 50 ft boxcar ( my modules are a little bit taller and a bit wider )
I think going too much bigger would make them too awkward to handle on the ground...
Too much bigger and they'll weigh more than the ground vehicles can reliably carry... no evil grav tech imtu anymore.

I really do picture them as an intermodal style service and not massive bulk containers like supertankers.

that actually means this ship carries about as much as a modern day freight train in the US ( okay...a bit less, but you get the idea )

my next picture update will include a 2m tall human in it to give a sense of scale......