SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: K'Kree ZBrush Sculpture
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm 

So then, I've been feeling all Travellery since visiting TravCon and my attention has flitted butterfly-like back to some Traveller CGI. The world and his cousin appears to be making spaceships these days so I thought I'd have a crack at one of the alien races instead - if only because my skillset of late has reached a stage where I might be able to pull it off to a more satisfying degree :)

So then, the first brick wall I hit is the usual one: No two versions of Traveller agree on the K'Kree's appearence. In fact, no two illustrations seem to show them in quite the same way.

In the original Classic book, they appear to be part bovine, part grey alien with eyes at the front and a snout that tapers conically to a small mouth.
Then in the otherwise excellent GURPS book they are definately more bovine/equine with eyes at the side and a broad, flat snout. For what it's worth I absolutely adore GMG's more bovine take on the head but I get the feeling that that's not really how they were meant to be.

So I'm trying to do a sort of mid-way interpretation. So far I have a block mesh that gives the basic volumes but I'm not happy with it so I'm after a fresh pair of eyes to tell me what's wrong with it.

So far, I believe that the eyes are too large and that the snout isn't quite the right shape.

the head thus far:

Some selected ref images:

Crow

Last edited by Scarecrow on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: K'Kree head issues
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:18 pm 

As far as eye placement goes, you might want to consider that predator animals tend to have both eyes out front. This gives them good steroscopic vision and allows them to judge distances well when they are attacking their prey. Prey animals have eyes out to the side so that they have a very wide field of vision and are able to see all around them. This means that they are difficult to sneak up on. They are not so good at distance perception when the subjecty of their vision is close. They are only able to bring one eye to bear.

I would think that K'Kree are more of the prey animals than the predators. The fact that they were preyed upon seems to be an indelible mark on their psychology and culture.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:36 pm 
Banned

Well don't forget evolution. There is nothing wrong with showing ancient K'Kree having eyes in a slightly different location.

Plus there might be some K'Kree racial traits that most others have not seen, yet. That could explain why some have slightly different head shapes and eye placement.

Maybe due to the K'Kree's selective nature they have cultured their race to only accept certain body features worthy of breeding. (Ok, slight long shot but maybe? )

Dave Chase

Dave is not here.

No, he is not here.

Honestly, he is not here. If he was the online light would be on.

This is just a simple text message.

Have nice day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:07 am 

I absolutely agree with the eye placement, but as the GURPS book (ironically) has it:

"To search for far off targets, the eyes moved from the sides to the front of the head, providing stereoscopic vision and an ability to judge ranges."

I think that's why the classic K'Kree had a sort of distorted human, grey alien look. The two artists that worked on the GURPS book obviously missed this.

Crow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:54 pm 

The snout thing might be a sub-species trait. K'Kree from the Eastern Continent tend to have the pointier snouts, those from the Western Continent have flatter snouts (and a slightly different hair color). Of course after thousands of years of integration, there majority of the K'Kree are a blended version with intermediate shaped snouts...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:18 pm 

Ding! Hupdate!

I've retopologised the head to tidy the mesh up and make it animation-ready (though wether it ever gets animated is another matter) and added some detail. I've rotated the eyes out about 30 degrees. They look a lot less goofy and still look forward facing.
I'm really quite pleased with the profile and the quarter view. It feels like a fairly workable compromise between all of the various reference images. I'm not sold on the front view yet though and I just remembered that I haven't brought the jaw in as Aramis suggested - maybe that's what it is.

Obvious things that still need work: The kink in the jaw that's really obvious in the front view is the big one, also some smoothing issues along with defining the cheeks more clearly - but it's very late and I want to watch Clone Wars.

Thanks for the input everyone. Keep it coming.

Crow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:25 pm 

Looking good there Crow, what are you modelling this in?

Spica Publications
Infinite Stars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:39 am 

Maya and eventually Z-Brush

Crow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:03 am 
Banned

Curosity on scale/size?

Is the head the size of human head or the size of a horse head?

I ask because, IMO, if the size of a human head, I think the eyes should be a bit bigger in size.

If the size of a horse's head, then they are fine.

Dave Chase

Dave is not here.

No, he is not here.

Honestly, he is not here. If he was the online light would be on.

This is just a simple text message.

Have nice day.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:45 am 

That's a good question. Somewhere in between I think, if not actually about horsehead size.

Crow