SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bladish-new alien race
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:37 pm 

The Bladish will be publicly seen in the first release of the fanzine Infinite Stars (like us on FB!)

The Bladish is a alien lobster man. He is supposed to be orange, but I usually draw in pencil.

Attachment:
File comment: "The Bladish" by Brian Pichelman
Bladish 1.png
Bladish 1.png [ 547.32 KiB | Viewed 948 times ]

MOD EDIT: That was a *huge* image (8.34MB?!). In future, please don't upload images that are larger than 1MB as attachments! I've resized it and reattached a smaller version.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:51 pm 
Administrator

The obvious question is "how do they manipulate anything?" (a related question is "how do they put their trousers on?!" ;)). Their claws are huge and very unsuitable for fine manipulation - not exactly good for a technological species.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:09 pm 

They co-exist with 2 other species: as one race can change their shape to pretty much anything, it makes things easier.

Also, the Bladish has triple jointed knees, and 2 sets of hips. They use their feet of manulaption of objects. They actually can reach things about their head height (7')

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:23 pm 

EDG wrote:
The obvious question is "how do they manipulate anything?" (a related question is "how do they put their trousers on?!" ;)). Their claws are huge and very unsuitable for fine manipulation - not exactly good for a technological species.

This sort of comment is essentially parallel to my complaints about too many alien races that Look Cool until you try to make them make sense in their current environment. The questions that too many Cool Alien designers forget to ask include things like "Why did they evolve this way in the first place?" "What were the evolutionary pressures to develop sapience?" "How do they control and manipulate their environment?" "How did they become a tool-using species?" Quite often, those answers aren't forthcoming, and the species in question seems to simply be a human in a funny suit - which, when he's offstage, he takes off so that he can actually DO something other than Look Cool.
I believe that form follows function, and that the function is largely determined by the environment/niche being filled. For a human-grade species, there's still plenty of flexibility, but I suspect that an endoskeletal bipedal/upright species with fine manipulators and clustered sensory organs is going to be part of a common baseline.
I have trouble with the idea of a species' locomotive appendages also being their manipulatory appendages, and additional trouble with the idea of a sapient species that is essentially parasitic on another.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:31 pm 

The planet this race evolved on has 2 others. Hippaflicks: intelligent: nonviolent (duh), the Irons, shapeshifters, manuliptors, the Bladish: Warriors.

One does not need much of hands of killing things. It is also noted that the Bladish evolved intelligence afterwards.