SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ship concepts
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:24 pm 

I haven't posted here in a long time, but after coming in contact with Golan's recent Infinite Stars fanzine and deciding to check what else was out there for SWN I was happy to see that there was a SWN sub forum on the SFRPG boards.

Every now and then I get the yen to fire up Photoshop and try to kitbash some photo-chop concepts together. The awesome thing about SWN is the tools with which even a dilettante like me can bash an associated ship design concept together to match. Here are some recent concepts and ideas that incorporate tidbits from the nascient sector design I've been doing intermittently. I' don't have any clean formatted ship data to share, but you might be able to reverse engineer the actual design from the prose.

At least two operational flights of “Peaceful Light” heavy fighters have been observed in the Cinenicle system. Armed with Polyspecteral MES Beams and sophisticated defensive systems most simulations show a high threat to known frigate and cruiser designs of the surrounding military organizations and governments. Even the Unity of Desire located across the sector has publicly admitted interest in the appearance of the fighter. Although Cinenicle is known to be able to produce pre-scream level tech it is not known if the Polyspecteral MES Beams represent the latest output from the secretive Matrix Energetics site or originate from an unknown Mandate weapons cache. It is a public secret that several surrounding polities have instituted operations to acquire more information in that area. Data that could shed light on the mystery is rumored to fetch high prices from the right buyers.

The Conscientious class patrol boat is a type developed for long duration missions. It is a common design and can be encountered in many systems across the Cytome sector and beyond, typically patrolling the outer planetary orbits. It is armed with a Reaper Battery and Sandthrower, although variants that remove a weapon for cost savings or payload increase are not uncommon. Other typical fittings include Extended Stores and Survey sensors.

The Unity of Desire Fb-531 AWAA fighter is a no-nonsense design armed with Fractical Impact Charge launchers and usually incorporates no secondary fittings. It is expected to continue to operate as the main fighter design of the UoD fleet for the foreseeable future. Several sources have commented on a possible new upgraded variant that incorporates gravitic step differential 'thrust boosters' and a defensive system, but their have been no operational units sighted as part of the main fleet to date.

Post subject: Re: Ship concepts
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:49 pm 
Banned

Wow, nice looking ships. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Dave Chase

Dave is not here.

No, he is not here.

Honestly, he is not here. If he was the online light would be on.

This is just a simple text message.

Have nice day.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:19 am 
Administrator

very nice! :)

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:37 am 

NIIIIIIIIIICE! :mrgreen:

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:44 pm 

Those are wonderful nezach,
There is certainly a place for those on the next issue of Infinite Stars if you want to submit them, don't you think Golan. :D

Spica Publications
Infinite Stars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:17 pm 

Thanks Folks. Here's another one.

The Quipmelle type light shuttle is a ubiquitous design of indeterminate origin. It is commonly encountered in inhabited systems traveling transfer orbits between surface installations and orbitals or satellites, but its rugged design and standardized fittings insure it's not an uncommon sub-craft choice for larger vessels. The fighter frame is aerodynamic for surface to orbit interface and the cargo space was designed to be easily reconfigurable for common operations and cargo loading.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:12 pm 

I like these concepts. I would Travellerize them, if alright (as I prefer the Traveller ship rules to SWN's), but these are GREAT concepts. Well done!

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:24 pm 

Those are indeed some exceedingly nifty-looking ships.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:49 pm 

Jame Rowe wrote:
I like these concepts. I would Travellerize them, if alright (as I prefer the Traveller ship rules to SWN's), but these are GREAT concepts. Well done!

Modular shuttles are not that unique in Traveller. It is the IMAGE that makes it so cool.

VERY NICE WORK!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:58 pm 

Thanks for the kind words. A tip of the hat to SineNomine for making the RPG that inspired them in the first place as well.

I think it would be great if they got 'Travellerized' or otherwise used in ways I didn't have in mind when making them. Another reason I didn't add the specific stats (besides being lazy) was so others might be more inclined to view the concept and stat them as they saw fit.