SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Ship concepts
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:43 pm 
Banned

Could you give us a sense of scale of each ship?

Dave Chase

Dave is not here.

No, he is not here.

Honestly, he is not here. If he was the online light would be on.

This is just a simple text message.

Have nice day.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:02 pm 

Dave Chase wrote:

Dave Chase

Sure Dave. The only design I seriously thought about as far as specific layout and scale was the shuttle. It was just a quick cross-section layout though. I've uploaded it up so you could take a look.

SWN doesn't nail down the specific tonnage or dimensions like some other systems so I didn't either. I used to love designing Traveller ships and GURPS vehicles, but at this point in my life I prefer the more abstract design sequences like SWN provides. That said, my general ideas are that the fighters are around half again to twice as large as current fighters and the patrol boat is based off the silhouette of an actual modern naval frigate. I think it was from the Spanish navy and my sense is that the patrol boat concept would be around that size, or perhaps a bit smaller, as well.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:54 am 

The Unity of Desire maintains 3 Uzul crusers of standard systems template construction. It is commonly held that the cult, if not the worlds they are based on would have been neutralized by force some time ago had it not been for the trio. Two of the cruisers are normally found in the systems the cult overtly controls or visiting the systems on their periphery who are unable to object. The third is usually discreetly patrolling the vicinity of the Materen shipyards careful to remain obscured from that system's general population due their well known chauvinism against altered humanity. It is however occasionally, and distressingly for several intelligence bureaus, unaccounted for for long periods of time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:49 am 
Banned

nezach wrote:
Dave Chase wrote:

Dave Chase

Sure Dave. The only design I seriously thought about as far as specific layout and scale was the shuttle. It was just a quick cross-section layout though. I've uploaded it up so you could take a look.

SWN doesn't nail down the specific tonnage or dimensions like some other systems so I didn't either. I used to love designing Traveller ships and GURPS vehicles, but at this point in my life I prefer the more abstract design sequences like SWN provides. That said, my general ideas are that the fighters are around half again to twice as large as current fighters and the patrol boat is based off the silhouette of an actual modern naval frigate. I think it was from the Spanish navy and my sense is that the patrol boat concept would be around that size, or perhaps a bit smaller, as well.

Hope that helps.

Yup that does a lot.

Now that you have size one ship, it's easy to generalize size the others, just put the one ship in correct ratio to the others in the same image. ;)

Dave Chase

Dave is not here.

No, he is not here.

Honestly, he is not here. If he was the online light would be on.

This is just a simple text message.

Have nice day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:02 am 

Gang Market Frigate

I have a system that has tags that makes me think of some sort of financial banking trading cabal (Secret Masters, Trade Hub) and I imagine they have a pretty good fleet of trading frigates cruising around the Cytome sector searching for and hawking wares. Not sure of the fluff nor did I have a particular design in mind. I am thinking of a semi-independant (fuel scoops, extended stores) long range type trader that has some freedom, but is ultimately dependent on the home office.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:57 pm 

Would it be improper to start a new thread in the SF Artwork forum and post these (and any new) starship concept images there? I realize that while I was certainly inspired by it the actual connection to SWN is rather tenuous to anyone else and I don't want to take away from specific SWN threads.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:44 pm 
Administrator

I could just move the whole thread to the artwork board if you want.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:01 pm 

Sure. If it's not too much trouble that would work too. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:24 am 
Administrator

done!

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:54 pm 

Awesome! Thanks again.