SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 3-dimensional star map
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:31 am 

I have a plan to construct a three-dimensional star map.

I'll get a sheet of white acrylic or coreflute or something like that about 400 mm square, three sheets of clear acrylic about the same size, and a plastic strut. I'll draw a grid on the opaque sheet and one of the clear sheets, plot the X and Y co-ordinates of selected stars on them, and drill holes on the plot points with my finest twist bit. I'll label the holes in the opaque sheet with identifiers for the stars. Then I'll assemble the sheets of acrylic and the strut into a box with two open sides, with a strut to support the floating corner, and the two drilled plates opposite each other.

Then, starting at the insidemost corner, I will pass a strand of nylon monofilament (fishing line) through each bottom hole and secure it with a bead and crimp, thread on a crimp and a bead with colour coding e.g. the spectral class of the star, pass the free end through the corresponding hole in the opposite sheet, and secure it with a bead and crimp or a drop of glue. Then I will raise the bead and crimp to a height corresponding to the Z-ordinate of the star and close the crimp with a pair of needle-nosed pliers.

For a pilot project I will have a go at the nearest fifty stars to Earth, colour-coded for spectral type, and then, with method refined, I might go on to mapping Central Sector in my SF RPG setting, using colour and size of bead to code, say, population and tech level.

Has anyone tips or suggestions to offer?

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:06 am 

Hmm. I'm going to have to find a cheaper source of acrylic sheet.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.