SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:33 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
No problem...

I almost made him the son of Alan Quartermain the famous African Explorer, but thought that might be pushing it... :)

And YES, he DOES wear a kilt occasionally...

Fine. But no bagpipes. You´ve got to draw a line somewhere.

BTW, a character patterned after Alan Quatermain would not be pushing it.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:57 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
Thanks Brett,

My pleasure.

Quote:
I will make the appropriate changes. A nice handle-bar mustache will be awesome. He will be from the Black Watch I think.

That's plausible: recruiting areas weren't strict or based on residency, and especially for officers family tradition and connections could be more important than area. However, since yesterday I have discovered that the regiment recruiting from Aberdeenshire in this period, and with its depot at Aberdeen, was the Gordon Highlanders.

Sir Chaos wrote:
Let´s not be sticklers for historical accuracy, though. The whole "Martian flying disc" thing is kind of ahistorical to begin with...

Not if it gets in the way, certainly. But research is fun, and historical accuracy is cool.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:50 pm 

I´d say we get started. There are couple of people who have expressed interest, but as they are taking their time coming here, we might as well get things going.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:31 pm 

Name: Carl (Alexander Maria Friedrich) von Freyberg
Born: 21.9. 1853, Freiburg (Breisgau) - age 47
Home: Karlsruhe, Baden (German Empire)
Position: Engineer / Research

Abilities:
Good Fitness
Average Health
Average Dexterity
Average Perception
Exceptional Intelligence
Average Will
Average Education
Abysmal Charme

Main Role: Engineer (Internal Combustion, Power Trains, Focus: Rotary Dynamics)
Secondary Role: Inventor (Everything that rotates, including railguns ;), experience with liquid and powdered explosives, general chemistry, good general overview of electrical engineering AC and DC systems)
Interests: Rogue, Duelist (Boxing, Fencing, Single Fire Pistols), Butcher (beginner's knowledge of anatomy, experience with torture)

Description (first draft):

The unexpected 6th (and youngest) son of a noble family of Badian/Swiss origin, growing up in the shadow of his overbearing father (a local administrator of some fame, patron of the arts and publicly admired humanitarian, all while being a cruel dictator at home who had tons of affairs that destroyed his wife’s standing with her peers) and weak (alcoholic) mother. Was severely beaten as a child (for every perceived instance of “disobedience”) and humiliated by both his father and eldest brother (a cavalry officer of some renown). Prone to slapping “underlings” himself.
Worked with Karl Benz when he was still a teenager, got into huge fight ("lack of vision”), joined “skunk works” division of University of Karlsruhe instead. His Obsession is to develop Interal-combustion-engine-powered DaVinci-Like flying machine with blades instead of airscrew. Frustrated with slow progress of the colleagues in material science.

Lives for the single-minded pursuit of his passion - machinery. The quintessential "obsessed man” with a chip on his shoulder. His engineering type is clearly the lone “Bastler” (Tinkerer), not the academic teamplayer and sharer. He is more Tesla than Edison, more MacGyver than Max Planck, more Hardy-Krueger-in-Flight-of-the-Phoenix than Wernher von Braunh.

Freyberg is a decent “inventor”, but much better “improver / rethinker" of existing solutions, as well as a “combiner”, not a “discoverer".

Has an easy time assembling larger machines, but is below average with precision work. When doing anything below the scale of a Hand-crank-generator, he needs help with the details (he has an occasional slight tremor in his left hand and poor 3-D vision), but has hard time admitting to it.
Physically, he is rather unattractive, even intimidating to most people: Slightly above average height (178 cm), wide frame, very strong, brutish features with large cheekbones and a pronounced brow bone, a perpetually inflamed “Schmiss” (fencing scar) on the left side of his face, vertically crossing his orbital bone, eye and upper cheek, greyish hair that also rather generously grows out of his ears, salt and pepper beard, large jugular vein protruding from his thick neck.
poor vision in left eye, otherwise very good senses, especially smell, able to identify many chemical compounds, especially fuels and by smell alone)

Has acquired a leader / chief scientist position at the University (and in the mission?), but iss a poor leader.
Prefers to think out solutions by himself, does not know when to delegate, yet gets very impatient with “underlings”.

Has been known to experiment on animals small and large (interest in “biological engineering systems”) in his spare time, often experienced as distasteful or cruel by others. He developed an interest in this in his early teen years when observing / helping in a distant cousins butcher shop on a “country vacation”.

Disciplined when faced with difficult circumstances, highly stress-resistant, but tends to lose focus when things are going well.

Mysoginist, feels judged by women, resents them. Frequents prostitutes. Easily distracted and annoyed by women who are as smart as he is (or smarter). Tends to deny their accomplishments, especially in the fields of the humanities, since they are “not science”.

Admirer of Nikola Tesla.

He also looks down on men with either lower intelligence OR lower physical fitness than himself, which tends to be almost everyone.
Will cower if confronted with greater authority/strength and seek revenge later on his own playing field.

Loves engines, does not love people.

Dreams of a future dominated by technology

Ideas for involvement with the mission:
Double Agent - hired by German Empire, bought by the British? (he is apolitical, so he does not care either way. The way to his heart would be with a machinery lab). Chosen for the mission for exceptional analytical skill with all kinds of machines and early breakthrough with research into helicopters. Doubts persisted in mission control, because his antisocial tendencies were discovered early.

Personality is the exact opposite of Mattie Barclay. They will probably hate each other, but have a chance to grow into grading respect… or not ;).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:38 pm 

Since there are only two of us, Sir Chaos has graciously allowed me to create a second character.

Name: Victoria Angelina Quartermain
Home: London, British Empire
Position: Naturalist - Archeology

Abilities
Fitness: Average
Health: Average
Dexterity: Good
Perception: Good
Intelligence: Good
Will: Average
Education: Good
Charme: Poor

Main Role: Archeology
Secondary Role: Biology
Interests: Hunting, Riding (Horses, Camels and Elephants), Singing

Description:
The daughter of famed African explorer Alan Quatermain, Victoria (never Vickie) is a chip off the old block. She loves the outdoors and getting her hands dirty. She is a deadly shot with both a pistol and a rifle and likes to track and hunt almost as much as she likes archeology. She refuses to conform to the strict mores of women in Victorian Britain and often scandalizes everyone by wearing clothing appropriate to the environment, including (gasp!) PANTS. She is well respected within the Naturalist community, although they are frustrated by her attitude. She has been involved in a variety of archeological expeditions in various parts of Africa, including several digs in Egypt. She was asked by the Royal Society to be a member of this expedition as much to get her away from them as due to her expertise.

Victoria is not the head of the Naturalist group, although she probably should be, that position (of course) goes to a man. Victoria is part Indiana Jones, part Laura Croft and part Emelia Earhart. Rumors that she is a homosexual are untrue, although she has very little interest in men as most of them treat her as some fragile thing instead of an equal. She is very focused on her job and often offends people without realizing it by being blunt and straight-to-the-point.

Victoria has a great singing voice, a soft soprano, although she is mostly untrained. She likes to sing to herself, often singing shanties and other “off color” songs. She has a wicked and biting sense of humor and doesn’t suffer fools lightly. Victoria is in her late twenties (very old for a single woman!), she is tall and thin, with sharp, angular features. She has light brown hair, which she wears unfashionably short, and hazel eyes. She has an old canvas vest, with lots of pockets, which she likes to wear on expedition.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:20 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
Since there are only two of us, Sir Chaos has graciously allowed me to create a second character.

Home: London, British Empire

Abilities
Education: Good
Charme: Poor

Main Role: Archeology
Secondary Role: Biology
Interests: Hunting, Riding (Horses, Camels and Elephants), Singing

Description:
The daughter of famed African explorer Alan Quatermain, Victoria (never Vickie) is a chip off the old block. She loves the outdoors and getting her hands dirty. She is a deadly shot with both a pistol and a rifle and likes to track and hunt almost as much as she likes archeology. She refuses to conform to the strict mores of women in Victorian Britain and often scandalizes everyone by wearing clothing appropriate to the environment, including (gasp!) PANTS. She is well respected within the Naturalist community, although they are frustrated by her attitude. She has been involved in a variety of archeological expeditions in various parts of Africa, including several digs in Egypt. She was asked by the Royal Society to be a member of this expedition as much to get her away from them as due to her expertise.

Victoria is not the head of the Naturalist group, although she probably should be, that position (of course) goes to a man. Victoria is part Indiana Jones, part Laura Croft and part Emelia Earhart. Rumors that she is a homosexual are untrue, although she has very little interest in men as most of them treat her as some fragile thing instead of an equal. She is very focused on her job and often offends people without realizing it by being blunt and straight-to-the-point.

Victoria has a great singing voice, a soft soprano, although she is mostly untrained. She likes to sing to herself, often singing shanties and other “off color” songs. She has a wicked and biting sense of humor and doesn’t suffer fools lightly. Victoria is in her late twenties (very old for a single woman!), she is tall and thin, with sharp, angular features. She has light brown hair, which she wears unfashionably short, and hazel eyes. She has an old canvas vest, with lots of pockets, which she likes to wear on expedition.

From the description, I´d go with the following roles:
Main: Outdoorsmanwoman
Secondary: Naturalist
Interests: Scholar (Archeology), Singing, Engineer

Outdoorswoman includes hunting, including marksmanship, but she wouldn´t have any combat experience. It should also include riding, at least if you´re talking about experience going from A to B on the back of an animal, not actual cavalry training, or trick riding fit for Buffalo Bill´s Wild West Circus.
She´d be experienced in all areas of the naturalist trade, especially archeology with the Scholar interest. Since you mentioned Amelia Earhart, I thought I´d add Engineer so she´d have a certain amount of skill operating a steamboat for example, or rigging levers and pulleys to move heavy objects. (Speaking of Indiana Jones and Lara Croft, I think I detect a trace of Tali´Zorah nar Rayyah in her, too) Alternatively you could give her Rogue as the third interest, reflecting a past occasionally defending British interests in Africa against those of the other colonial powers.

Lastly, I see four good, three average and one poor ability; you need one less good ability, and either one more poor, or lower Charme to Abysmal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:02 pm 

OK, I will make the changes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:38 pm 

Wonderful. You´re good to go, then.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:22 pm 

Updated writeup for Victoria:

I figure the Abysmal charme is more due to her unwillingness to comply with the current role of women than to any actual uncharming aspects of her personality. She is quite witty and funny, if you can get past the fact that she can out-drink most men and wears pants...

Home: Quartermain House, London, British Empire

Abilities
Education: Average
Charme: Abysmal

Main Role: Outdoorsman woman
Secondary Role: Naturalist
Interests: Scholar (Archeology), Rogue, Singing

Description:
The daughter of famed African explorer Alan Quatermaine, Victoria (never Vickie) is a chip off the old block. She loves the outdoors and getting her hands dirty. She is a deadly shot with both a pistol and a rifle, although she has no real combat experience and likes to track and hunt almost as much as she likes archeology. She refuses to conform to the strict mores of women in Victorian Britain and often scandalizes everyone by wearing clothing appropriate to the environment, including (gasp!) PANTS. She is well respected within the Naturalist community, although they are frustrated by her attitude. She has been involved in a variety of archeological expeditions in various parts of Africa, including several digs in Egypt and has also found herself involved in several seedier operations defending British interests on the African continent. She was asked by the Royal Society to be a member of this expedition as much to get her away from them as due to her expertise.

Victoria has a great singing voice, a soft soprano, although she is mostly untrained. She likes to sing to herself, often singing shanties and other “off color” songs. She has a wicked and biting sense of humor and doesn’t suffer fools lightly. Victoria is tall and thin, with sharp, angular features. She has light brown hair, which she wears unfashionably short, and hazel eyes. She has an old canvas vest, with lots of pockets, which she likes to wear on expedition.