SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:54 pm 

This thread is for creating characters for the Mars 1900 game.

Consult the Introduction thread for positions within the Mars expedition as well as character stats. Positions are filled on a "first come, first served" basis.

Please provide the following information about your character:
- name
- home (and nationality for non-British characters)
- the position that the character is expected to fill (e.g. security detail or scientific team)
- the character´s abilities
- main role, secondary role, interests
- about a paragraph´s worth of description for your character, both physical appearance and personality as well as background

If you have questions or are unsure about the stats or anything, feel free to ask me, either here in the thread or via PM.

Sample Character
Name: Helmuth von Flachwitz
Home: Marienburg, East Prussia (German Empire)
Position: Envoy of His Imperial Majesty Wilhelm II of Germany to the Planet Mars

Abilities:
Poor Fitness
Average Health
Poor Dexterity
Average Perception
Average Intelligence
Exceptional Will
Average Education
Good Charme

Main Role: Dignitary
Secondary Role: Officer
Interests: Rogue, Soldier, Outdoorsman

Description:
Helmuth von Flachwitz is a member of the Prussian nobility that dominate the German Empire, and is in fact very distantly related to the Emperor himself; he serves as the Empire´s envoy on the Mars expedition. He is a tall, rail-thin man in his late forties, immaculately groomed (as much as circumstances allow) and with graying dark hair.
Von Flachwitz can be the soul of diplomacy, as befits his occupation, but his aristocratic upbringing has left him with a deep-seated feeling of superiority over commoners which often surfaces in those moments when he is caught off his guard or when he loses his composure for whatever reason; the sarcastic wit with tends to assert itself in such moments does not help endear him his social inferiors.
Before he became a diplomat, von Flachwitz served as an officer in German East Africa; while he has largely lost what physical fitness he gained in those days, he still retains the leadership skills and the familiarity with common firearms, as well as experience with harsh desert conditions.
Besides being the official envoy of his sovereign, he is also an unofficial spy for the German Empire.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:34 pm 

Name: Major Matthew (Mattie) Barclay, Royal Army
Home: Auchlunis House – Banchory, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, British Empire
Position: Security Officer

Abilities
Fitness: Average
Health: Average
Dexterity: Good
Perception: Good
Intelligence: Poor
Will: Average
Education: Poor
Charme: Good

Main Role: Leadership
Secondary Role: Combat
Interests: Survival, Etiquette, Languages (he speaks English, Gaelic, German and French) [With Permission of course]

Description:
Major Mattie Barclay is the second son of the Laird of Auchlunis, a moderately sized estate near Banchory in north-east Scotland. His family bought him a commission in the Royal army and he has risen steadily since that time. He is not a great tactician, preferring to let his instincts tell him what to do. He is also a bit “by the book” and tends not to think outside the box, when he does it is usually with his pistol. He is a natural leader and his men adore him and he takes good care of them as well. He is also charming and flirtatious with the ladies and uses his Scottish accent (which he can turn on and off at will) to devastating effect in the upper society of London.

Mattie is tall, with dark hair and bright blue eyes. He is usually clean-shaven and places great importance on his personal appearance and hygiene. God Save the Queen!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:23 pm 

By "Etiquette" I assume you mean "Dignitary"? For the younger son of the nobleman, I can see this representing his experience with the high society.

"Languages" is perhaps too narrow a field for an interest, as there are less than a dozen native speakers of any languages besides English he might know on Mars at the time. How about we build an interest about charming and flirtation and such and call it "Socializing" or something like that; basically it´s being at home at balls, soirees, pubs, whereever people gather to relax and have fun, much like the Carousing skill in Traveller?

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:21 pm 

Yes, Dignitary will work. He knows his way around negotiations, but has not been the "leader" in them before. His father was always negotiating with the tenants on their Estate.

OK Socializing will work. I wanted him to be a bit of flirt, but a high society flirt. Boyish Charm doncha know. I did want him to be able to speak several languages (even if badly) such that spies might get caught out saying something and not realizing that he understands what they are saying). Whichever. ALso, it might make it easier for him to learn any Martian languages. Just a thought.

Once you give your OK, I will redo the character per our agreement.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:53 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
Yes, Dignitary will work. He knows his way around negotiations, but has not been the "leader" in them before. His father was always negotiating with the tenants on their Estate.

OK Socializing will work. I wanted him to be a bit of flirt, but a high society flirt. Boyish Charm doncha know. I did want him to be able to speak several languages (even if badly) such that spies might get caught out saying something and not realizing that he understands what they are saying). Whichever. ALso, it might make it easier for him to learn any Martian languages. Just a thought.

Once you give your OK, I will redo the character per our agreement.

You´re good to go, then.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:21 am 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
Name: Major Matthew (Mattie) Barclay, Royal Army

Unlike the Royal Navy, the British Army isn't "Royal", though a lot of its regiments and corps are.

British army officers below the rank of Colonel specify their regiment or corps after their names, in contrast to naval officers who append "Royal Navy" or "R.N.". Here is a list of the British Army regiments in existence between 1882 and the cuts of the 1920s, each indicating which previous regiments it was formed out of. Perhaps , "Major Matthew Barclay, Scots Guards", "Major Matthew Barclay, Black Watch", "Major Matthew Barclay, Gordon Highlanders", or , "Major Matthew Barclay, Highland Light Infantry" would be more verisimilar.

Quote:
Major Mattie Barclay is the second son of the Laird of Auchlunis, a moderately sized estate near Banchory in north-east Scotland. His family bought him a commission in the Royal army

Sale of commissions was abolished by the Cardwell Reforms, effective in 1871. That's 29 years before the campaign date. If we figure that the Barclay was at least 18 when he was commissioned he must have been born before 1854 and be at least 47.

Quote:
He is usually clean-shaven

It was very unusual for an Army officer in 1900 not to have a moustache. From 1860 to 1916 British Army uniform regulations made them compulsory for all soldiers.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts to this board are copyright under the Berne Convention. They may be quoted on the board with appropriate attribution. They may not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:36 pm 

Thanks Brett, I will make the appropriate changes. A nice handle-bar mustache will be awesome. He will be from the Black Watch I think.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:41 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
Name: Major Matthew (Mattie) Barclay, Black Watch
Home: Auchlunis House – Banchory, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, British Empire
Position: Security Officer

Abilities
Fitness: Average
Health: Average
Dexterity: Good
Perception: Good
Intelligence: Poor
Will: Average
Education: Poor
Charme: Good

Main Role: Leadership
Secondary Role: Combat
Interests: Survival, Dignitary, Languages (speaks English, Gaelic, French and German)

Description:
Major Mattie Barclay is the second son of the Laird of Auchlunis, a moderately sized estate near Banchory in north-east Scotland. He received his commission after graduating from a prestigious boarding school and he has risen steadily in the Black Watch regiment since that time. He is not a great tactician, preferring to let his instincts tell him what to do. He is also a bit “by the book” and tends not to think outside the box, when he does it is usually with his pistol. He is a natural leader and his men adore him and he takes good care of them as well. He is also charming and flirtatious with the ladies and uses his Scottish accent (which he can turn on and off at will) to devastating effect in the upper society of London.

Mattie is in his early thirties, tall, with dark hair and bright blue eyes. He has a luxurious handle-bar moustache, which he takes great pride in. He places great importance on his personal appearance and hygiene. God Save the Queen!

Revised and corrected.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:59 pm 

Let´s not be sticklers for historical accuracy, though. The whole "Martian flying disc" thing is kind of ahistorical to begin with...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:17 pm 

No problem...

I almost made him the son of Alan Quartermain the famous African Explorer, but thought that might be pushing it... :)

And YES, he DOES wear a kilt occasionally...