SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:46 pm 

Victoria wouldn´t mistake a mummified Egyptian cat or dog or crocodile for a mummified human, but she´s no expert paleontologist, either. The hand - it is exposed up to about an inch above the wrist - looks human enough, bust just from the hand, she couldn´t tell if this is a real human or some sort of primitive proto-human caveman. The full skeleton could probably tell her more, but it is buried under the sand drift. Trying to pull it out may or may not make the hand come off instead, brittle as the skeleton probably is - but fortunately, there are all those strong men around who are no doubt itching to prove their masculinity by doing all the heavy digging for Victoria...

Professor Caine steps closer to Victoria and takes a look at the hand. "Not quite what we expected - or is it?"

There are no doors visible, but at the foot of the tallest ziggurat, there is a recess of some sort. It is hard to tell, with the sun so low this early in the morning and with one of the smaller ziggurats casting its shadow on the side of the bigger one, how deep the recess is, or if there is any kind of door, open or closed, inside it.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:51 pm 

Looking over at Professor Caine, Victoria says, "Not really. I can't tell, but it looks human enough."

Standing back up and looking over at the various members of the expedition that are just standing around, she says "Well, anyone want to dig out a Martian skeleton?"

As several men step up and begin moving the sand, she adds in a severe voice, "Careful there, don't break him."

Victoria steps back and lets the workers do their job, watching as more of the skeleton is slowly revealed as the sand is brushed away.

Absently, she softly sings a little shanty "The girl from Madrid" that she learned in a bar in Cairo several years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:54 pm 

Matty, seeing that several others were now working on the skeleton, wanders around the pyramid, just looking.

One of the privates points out the recess at the base of the largest Ziggurat. As Matty looks at it, he moves some of the sand away from the recess, but mostly waiting for the sun to rise higher and move some of the shadows out of the way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:13 pm 

Removing the sand gradually reveals the full skeleton. The bones look human enough, other their exceptional size - this fellow must have been close to seven feet tall when he was alive! It is hard to judge from just the bones, but it does not seem like he had been particularly muscular, certainly not noticeably more so than any member of the expedition.
Two things unconsciously cause those present to refer to the skeleton as "he". First, its torso is covered by the remnants of some sort of leather vest and a baldric, both so brittle that they go to pieces while the skeleton is being unearthed (unmarsed?); they have the look of being part of a uniform, or some primitive form of armor. Second, the skeleton´s skull shows damages that, to those with the appropriate experience, looks like it was caused by the impact of a large calibre bullet. If this fellow once carried weapons, there is no trace of them to be found, though.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:54 pm 

Victoria says "Someone had a bad day... Well Gents, shall we box him up to take home?"

WIthout waiting for a response, Victoria moves away from the skeleton and begins to examine the pyramid in greater detail, looking at the building techniques, materials used and any signs of markings or writing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:55 pm 

Matty starts getting bored just standing there, so he leans against the inner wall of the depressed area, just to see what will happen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:34 pm 

Professor Caine shakes his head.

"Young lady, I do believe taking this unfortunate fellow ´home´ - either to our place or his - is a somewhat more complicated undertaking than we are prepared to begin at the moment.

That is, unless you are referring to the vessel that brought us here. Surely some of the learned minds here" - he looks around at the assembled scientists - "would prefer to investigate our find in more comfortable, and especially somewhat warmer, surroundings."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:53 pm 

"Precisely Sir. I was thinking exactly that. Surely, these "learned gentlemen" would prefer the comfort of the ship?" replies Victoria.

Although spoken with perfect politeness, one can't help but notice the air-quotes around the words 'learned gentlemen'.

Turning her back on the group, ignoring the few snorts of mild indignation at her "uppity attitude", Victoria continues to closely examine the construction of the pyramids.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:55 pm 

Matty continues to lean against the alcove wall, absently kicking sand around with his feet. Occasionally, he glances over at the Sergeant-Major seeing that he is still diligently watching the surroundings and goes back to kicking sand.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:56 pm 

A soft vibration, similar to the first shocks of an Earthquake, alerts Matty. A heartbeat later the alcove wall shudders, and with a jolt, a small gap opens in the center of the alcove.

The tortured groan of machinery straining against a resistance it was not built to overcome can be heard from inside the pyramid as the alcove continues to slowly and fitfully slide open.