SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:03 pm 
Banned

Hi all. Is there any interest in discussing/playtesting an odd project of mine ? Its a hypothetical LBB Book 9 for CT -in a what-if scenario where original D&D wasn't the first commercial RPG and Traveller was -and Gygax and Arneson wrote D&D as a traveller suppliment. Its kind of a swords and sorcery twist on low tech traveller at this point, not so much a traveller style "real" ancient world setting (as with Mercator; thanks Mithras ! ).

If theres some interest, I'll happily post it here.....its up at COTI currently in the classic forum -but unavailiable unless you are a member.

Thanks in advance, and we return you to you regular non-game-company-sponsored SFRPG discussions.....;)

<edit: the PDF and magic rules as a separate section are now here: http://www.box.net/shared/bha8gym72c>

Last edited by captainjack23 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:23 am 

Can't hurt, most of us here either also like some flavor of D&D or other FRPG or lower-tech Traveller to tinker with if nothing else.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:11 pm 

I am always interested in low tech versions of Traveller, so please go ahead. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:24 pm 

I think you already know my interest level. *Yawns*

Which, of course, means...

Bring. IT. ON ?

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:53 pm 
Banned

Well, Hey ! Three being the magic number and all, I certainly shall.

Here's the intro which gives a bit more about the whole idea. I'll post links to the files already in place as I can.

In Principio

It’s a simple premise that started this: that Gygax and Arneson had different inspirations than the one(s) that became D&D. From it (so far) has come at least two variants I really like: Mazes and Minotaurs and Xplorers ; these ask “what if the font of inspiration was Greek myths, or Science fiction. Really well done, check em out.

This, then, is that, but spun thusly: what if the first RPG wasn’t D&D at all, but rather Traveler ? I’m not even going to get into the possibility of this , I hasten to add, but rather just follow it up. Specifically, what if, as a result of TSR never having been formed or successfully launched, “the fantasy game” as it was called languished in a box in a garage for many years, and the it’s designers ended up at GDW – which IIRC, predates TSR. For a variety of reasons, the genre was born with Traveller (probably via Star Wars to popularize it), and Fantasy becomes the red-headed stepchild of the industry . Adventure Simulations Games (as they are called) cater to an endless variety of SF settings and adventures all ultimately derived from Traveler. Assume then that Gygax and Arneson finally convince GDW to try a new approach to travelling: something like that Robert E. Howard/Lovecraft genre , but the swords and sorcery version more than the pulp horror of Seeker (by Chaosium games); like in Fritz Leiber's stuff ? or, heck, Anderson's fantasy stuff...... Low tech, ya' know ? C'mon Marc, pleeeeeeze ?

And so, in 1977, following the phenomenal success of book 8 (Droidbots), The Adventure game is dragged out, dusted off, and months later, Book 9 Adventurer is released. What might that look like ?

My goals: as some people here know, I’m always flirting with low tech traveler, and indeed some excellent variants have been produced (Mercator, Wanderer, Flynn’s guide to magic, and probably others I have missed); ironically, I’ve also been on the “let's just not use D&D mechanisms and call it traveler” train, but it got me wondering –what if the mechanisms and design of Traveller were applied to the style and sensibilities of D&D ? And not just any D&D, but original three little books in a brown or white box edition D&D ?

Well, yes, it’ll probably suck……but that’s never stopped me, has it ?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:01 pm 

I think you will know the Thieves' World box, it included Traveller rules for this
fantasy setting, and I suspect that a fantasy game based upon Traveller would
be similar to this adaptation of the Classic Traveller rules.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:50 pm 
Banned

Hi Rust !

Yeah, the Thieves world rules were an inspiration, but pretty rudimentary, mostly how to adapt existing characters to TW, and some ideas about magic systems. BTW, did you know that sanctuary/Thieves world is on some old maps ? I can't remember where, but it does have a location.

Note that the list of spells is derived from the following SRDs and is reproduced here as a non-commercial fair use.

System Reference Document Copyright 2000-2003, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, Rich Baker, Andy Collins, David Noonan, Rich Redman, Bruce R. Cordell, John D. Rateliff, Thomas Reid, James Wyatt, based on original material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.
Swords & Wizardry, Copyright 2008, Matthew J. Finch
SWORDS & WIZARDRY: WHITEBOX by Matt Finch and Marv Breig, Copyright 2008, Matthew J. Finch

EDIT: FWIW, I've deleted the development files now that it has reached a beta release. new location is in later posts at my blog or file storage.

Last edited by captainjack23 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:10 pm 

Hi Captain. ;)

The character creation looks good, I would only have two question marks so far:

- the Fighter could perhaps do well with less Stealth and some Healing,

- the Earl should be above the Count, an Earl usually was the equal of a Duke.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:26 pm 
Banned

rust wrote:
Hi Captain. ;)

The character creation looks good, I would only have two question marks so far:

Seems reasonable -I'll take a look.

Quote:
- the Earl should be above the Count, an Earl usually was the equal of a Duke.

Hmmm. Cultural thing here. Different precedence in different countries. British nobility currently doesn't have counts at all, but earls are usually ranked as at best an equal when visitors come over, and well below Dukes. Almost certainly different on "the continent" (as the Brits would have it). Plus, I have to admit, I based mine on two ahistorical lists: AD&D1st DMG, and the SCA. Hope this won't completely sour you on the rules for now and for ever ! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:59 am 
Banned

rust wrote:

Done. Advanced Education "stealth" has been replaced with healing. Good spot. I didn;t relaize I had it in two tables.