SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:47 pm 

http://www.newhavengames.com/?page_id=64/

A remake of 2nd edition AD&D apparently.
They're doing a whole pretend leak thingy, so I've decided to fall for it and spread the news.
Had a lot of fun with second edition.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:37 pm 

Hmmm ... AD&D was the only version of D&D I ever really liked, mainly
because of the historical supplements and the Birthright setting ... I
think I will at least take a look at that free starter set ... ;)

Thank you for the info. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:36 am 
Administrator

This D&D clone thing bemuses me somewhat... surely most of the people who miss the old D&D still have their books? Or can still get them secondhand from ebay or bookshops? So what's the attraction of getting a clone that's almost the same, as opposed to the real thing?

EDIT: And yeah, does seem a bit unlikely that it "accidentally leaked". AFAIK it's been advertised on forums (definitely seen in on rpgnet) today, and already the website title says "somehow you found us before we opened shop?". Yeah, very suspicious...

Check out my Youtube channel for all my streamed gaming videos!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:33 am 
Banned

Hmm, fond and not so fond memories playing AD&D (and some D&D along with Chain Mail.)

BirthRight was a fun way to play beyond the books. More politicial than hack and slash.

Still like playing the BirthRight computer game.

Dave Chase

Dave is not here.

No, he is not here.

Honestly, he is not here. If he was the online light would be on.

This is just a simple text message.

Have nice day.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:57 am 
Administrator

I skipped playing AD&D completely. I played BECMI D&D (Basic/Expert/Companion/Masters/Immortals)... picked up the Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, and Dark Sun 2e settings boxes, but never played them. First game of D&D I played since the BECMI days was 3e.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:13 am 

I skipped AD&D1, AD&D2 and BECMI - B/X was my thing. The attraction of the clones is mainly the same as any SRD-based game, you get to see new stuff produced for your favourite 'dead' game. Of course, most of the actual clone runle books are not identical to the originals in that they do anything from including errata through fixing known issues to re-writing the whole thing in their own image. My personal clone (which is not available!) is simply an edited-together version of B/X with one change in that all classes including dwarf, elf and halfling can advance to 14th level. I know there are clones which take B/X up to 36th level, but I actually like the power limit imposed by 14th level.

Er, yeah, clones are a nostalgia trip, I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:00 am 
Administrator

Is B/X not the same as BECMI (OK, without the later sets)? I started on the Basic Set from B/X, then got the Expert and later ones from BECMI. I thought the Basic and Expert sets in both were the same, just repackaged?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:52 am 

I started playing AD&D 2E in 1997, then switched to 3.0E in (late?) 2000 and played it until 2002. Then I didn't play D&D for six years until I started a 3.0E campaign with my spouse in 2008; however, we moved to the Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game (BFRPG) in the middle of the campaign since 3.0E is very prep-heavy (and feels like a chore to prep for), while BFRPG is very easy to prep for and runs much faster.

Currently, my favorite D&D-like game is BFRPG. It combines the simplicity (and easy prep) of the older editions with a few key features of 3E (such as ascending AC) added in for good measure. While magic is extremely fun in play, especially with creative players such as my spouse, 'ordinary' combat is a bit repetitive and boring; for this reason I might even move to Savage Worlds to make things more interesting.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:06 pm 

Urghh, they're keeping percentile strength?
I kinda figured that in any remake rather than clone, this would be one of the first things chucked.
OK I'm going to try and change the guys mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:44 am 

EDG wrote:
Is B/X not the same as BECMI (OK, without the later sets)?
My understanding is that there are quite a lot of differences, although none of them important enough to prevent people from mixing and matching modules. One of the main changes was in the tone, I believe, due to different authors and possibly a bit more political correctness creeping into the later versions with a general steering away from religion (e.g. as pertaining to clerics). I can't be sure because I've never really used the BECMI rules despite owning the Rules Cyclopedia. I can't say I'm wedded to the B/X rules in any way except for nostalgia reasons, and when I do the personalised version of my B/X book I'll include some things which I actually liked from 3.5, like d20 skills and ascending AC (and divorcing race from class).

Bleh, percentile strength, that was the first bit in AD&D1 that put me off (there were many other bits later).