SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 3:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:09 am 

Once upon a time a bunch of people on the Gringle's Pawnshop RQ2 forums said, "It's great that all those classic adventures and supplements are available again in PDF form, courtesy of those Moon Design chaps. But wouldn't it be great if there was also a set of rules that you can use to play those games out-of-the-box, without having to splash out on eBay?"

Well, that day was little over a year ago, and here is the first step in realising that daydream: the D100II SRD. Written under the OGL, using the MRQ1 SRDs, this is an editable document which you can use to tweak into your very own house-ruled D100 rulebook, to write your own classic-style adventures, or just to play those re-released classics without having to convert from another D100 rule set.

This is intended to be a living document, so please contact me with any errata or suggestions you might have.

The file is available from the BRP Central downloads area: http://basicroleplaying.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=433

And, if you like this stuff - well, stay tuned for AEON ... Image

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:26 am 

For those that don't hang out at BRP Central, a bit of explanation about AEON might be in order. It's not the same as the D100II SRD, for a start. It has the same roots, and it aims for an old school feel (or at least what I interpret as 'old school'). But it's not exactly the same game.

That means the emphasis is on crunch and realism, but not through a lot of options or feat-like elements. The rules themselves should allow for variety in tactics and play. AEON aims to tighten up the rules as much as possible, removing oddities, ambiguities and inconsistencies. It is still an ancient fantasy game, but the rulebook will not have explicit setting information. It has its own magic and creatures rules.

However, the stat block should be familiar to players of most incarnations of the rules, so there will be plenty of opportunity for adaption.

And now for the news of the week: The cover artwork is finished, huzzah! Okay, that still leaves the logo design, interior art, a lot of writing and quite a bit of layout - but somehow this makes it seem like we're getting somewhere. Here's a little wee hint:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:11 pm 

It's about time that AEON revealed its true colours. Brought to you by the fantastically talented Ganbat Badamkhand (yes, you're right about the inspiration behind it). B-)

AEON Cover Art Preview

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:12 pm 

Work on AEON Quickstart is going as fast as it possibly can, though in all honesty I think Christmas (2011!) is going to be a tough deadline to meet. To update you on what the Qickstart edition includes: basic character generation, game mechanics, skills and combat - basically, the sort of things players might need to have on hand when sitting around the game table. AEON Quickstart will not have rules on background and previous experience, magic, creatures or treasure; what you might term as 'referee rules'. Nor will there be any interior art, although Ganbat's beautiful cover will be there in black & white.

As AEON is not an OGL game, the Quickstart rules do not represent a System Reference Document. However, a copy of the AEON Logo Licence agreement will be included in the back of the book. This is a free licence and extremely easy to use, and it should not put anyone off creating 3rd party supplements for the AEON system.

AEON Quickstart will be available in digest-size (5.5 x 8.5") PDF and POD format from the OneBookShelf websites (DriveThruRPG, RPGNow).

Oh, and keep an eye out for the updated D100II SRD v1.2, which will be up in the BRP Central Downloads section by Christmas! :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:40 am 
Administrator

So, I still don't really get the difference between Aeon and the other d100 systems (er... BRP, Call of Cthulhu, Legend, Openquest, Runequest, and any others I've forgotten about).

Can you summarise the differences between them at all?

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:07 am 

The d100 systems have become a somewhat confusing thing, perhaps a histori-
cal approach can help to understand what is going on - and I hope this one does
not include too many errors.

The "family tree" of the d100 games started with Runequest. Its system was then
modified and expanded for a series of other games, for example Call of Cthulhu, The
Morrow Project, Ringworld and Stormbringer. The attempt to reunite all those modifi-
cations and expansions into one system resulted in what is today's BRP, which is mo-
re a tool box of different and sometimes contradictory options for the design of a sy-
stem than a consistent system.

Between the early Runequest games and the new BRP was a time when the earlier
d100 games of the family except Call of Cthulhu were not supported by any publisher,
which led to fan attempts to create a clone to replace the no longer available original
rules, probably beginning with GORE. I think Open Quest also belongs to this branch
of the family, but I am not sure.

When BRP finally was published, it was often seen as too complex and confusing, and
so several authors attempted to create a d100 system more to their liking, based upon
the original games, the earlier clones and BRP. All of these second generation clones
are very similar, the main differences depend more or less on the individual author's
preferred set of house rules, interpretations of the original rules, and so on - in a way,
the second generation clones are somewhat individualized collections of elements of the
entire available d100 material, some of them with ideas from other games or original
ideas of the authors.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:40 pm 

EDG wrote:
Can you summarise the differences between them at all?

I hope you had your tongue in your cheek, there! ;)

Well, rust has rather neatly summed up the history there, so I won't get into that. For me, the main difference creeps in at the point that RQ4 failed to be published and, after a few years of absence from the shelves, Mongoose took it in quite a different direction with MRQ1. That direction is continued with GORE, OQ, Legend and RQ6. AEON is not cloning RQ2 (that's what the D100II SRD does), because it's not based on the MRQ1 or Legend SRD. AEON is an alternate branch of evolution from the same roots as MRQ. It's closer to BRP than to RQ6.

However, it's not so much the differences as the similarities that are notable about the D100 systems. This is mainly brought about by the stat block, which is often almost identical for the different rule sets, which allows you to very easily use supplements from or adventures from one and the rules from another. All D100 gamers I know freely mix and match rules, too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:16 pm 

If it all started with Runequest, then where does Chaosium's "Worlds of Wonder" fit into this?

That is the first D100 system I saw (still have it somewhere...). It included a Superhero, Fantasy and SciFi game all in one box as well as a "Generic" version.

Did that come first, or was RuneQuest first?

Which "branch" does WoW fall into the Aeon Branch, D100 SRD Branch or the Legend Branch? (Are there more branches?)

GEEZ, sounds like someone trying to explain the incarnations of Traveller!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:36 pm 

Cyborg IM1 wrote:
If it all started with Runequest, then where does Chaosium's "Worlds of Wonder" fit into this?

It was a kind of first incarnation of what became today's BRP, an early
attempt to turn the Runequest system into a generic system for all gen-
res. Unfortunately Chaosium did not build upon this, so a good start led
nowhere.
Quote:
Which "branch" does WoW fall into the Aeon Branch, D100 SRD Branch or the Legend Branch? (Are there more branches?)

I would see it as its own branch of the "family tree", although there were
only some fan projects building upon it until Chaosium remembered the idea
much later on and published today's BRP.

All in all, the "d100 story" is even more complex than the "Traveller story",
because even more publishers were involved in it. There are quite a num-
ber of "branches" which I have not mentioned, some close relatives as well
as many distant ones like Hero Quest or Pendragon, among them both offi-
cial ones like those from Avalon Hill as well as "bastards" which are obvious
descendants of a "family member", but with a questionable legal status.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:52 pm 

rust wrote:
Cyborg IM1 wrote:
It was a kind of first incarnation of what became today's BRP, an early attempt to turn the Runequest system into a generic system for all genres. Unfortunately Chaosium did not build upon this, so a good start led nowhere.

Not quite nowhere, because Superworld became a game in its own right. And Peter F. Hamilton almost certainly had a copy of WoW at some point - interstellar states with gates, not starships; an alien hive-mind race; and a scientist called Sheldon ... ? ;)