SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:25 am 

G'day all!

I'm in the very early stages of designing an adventure for an RPG con that will be held in Canberra next year. So early indeed that I am as yet undecided between four broad genres. I need to bounce some ideas around among some roleplayers, but sadly there aren't many around here and the ones I know in person are likely to want to play at Pheno'. So
  • if you're a likely Pheno' '13 attender, please read no further; but otherwise
  • I'd be grateful if you'd help me kick a few ideas around.

The four ideas I have in mind are as follows.
  1. I'd like to give my SF setting Flat Black another outing at the cons.
  2. I think that Victory Games James Bond 007 could easily support a fun con game.
  3. I have a very cute idea for a party of PCs in a setting inspired by Girl Genius, but little idea of what might make a good con-length adventure there.
  4. I have a hankering to take one of my inter-War period fantasy adventures to the cons.

One thing to bear in mind is that I get only three hours each time to run the adventure. It has to be brief, and therefore to produce any effect vivid, with broadly-drawn characters over an armature of solid trope. The players have to be able to act decisively without much information, and that suggests that the setting must be well either known or built on solid tropes, and that the genre etc. must give the players a clear idea of appropriate courses of action. We can't have any thrashing in there.

To reduce confusion, I'm going to make a separate thread for each idea. This one is for the Inter-War Fantasy.

I've run a few very successful short adventures that have been set in the 1920s or 1930s and that have involved PCs interacting with things out of folklore: not exactly urban fantasy because the settings were often country houses on the Welsh marches, but definitely in the vein of realistic characters encountering the supernatural in a modern setting.
  • One of these involved the PCs attending a weekend party at a country house in Cheshire, discovering that the family had King Arthur imprisoned in their cellar by a spell, and that the eldest son was a chum and supporter of Oswald Mosely, then later having to break the spell to release King Arthur so that he could effect the rescue of the BEF from Dunkirk.
  • Another involved a country house that was apparently haunted by a poltergeist, but working out that the wards on the entrances weren't in fact keeping anything out but were keeping a fairy minstrel in. When the PCs persuaded the village witch to remove the spell, the fairy eloped with the daughter of the house.
It's sort of like Alan Garner's The Weirdstone of Brisingamen or The Owl Service, but with adult rather than adolescent characters.

This time I'm toying with the idea of setting it in Germany or Alsace-Lorraine rather than the UK, and maybe working up something based either on Tannhäuser or on one of the German versions of the King in the Mountain. But I have doubts about that. Perhaps the continued popularity of Downton Abbey will make the English country house more appealling and accessible to the masses, and I ought to stick to what I know. It's not as though I had run this sort of material at cons before.

With respect to Tannhäuser, I have been wondering what his sins might have been that he feared and the pope agreed that they were unforgivable. Sexual debauchery and worship of pagan goddesses have been forgiven uncountable times. What if Tannhäuser's lover were not Venus but an elvish prince? Can I make an adventure out of that, and is the gay thing passé?

With respect to a German King-in-the-Mountain, what do I do about the NAZIs? Are the PCs striving to hide him from them? Or can I suppose that the NAZIs are trying to destroy or further-imprison Henry the Fowler/Frederick Barbarossa for fear that he would depose their fuhrer and re-erect the First Reich on the ruins of their Third?

Do I want to go for geopolitical stakes, or keep things small? English or German setting?

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts on SFRPG must not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:39 pm 

Both the scenarios that you've run before sound good to me. Is there any reason that you couldn't re-run one of them at the con? (Like say they take 3 sessions not 3 hours to play).

I don't know anything about Tannhauser, so can't really comment on that idea.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:50 am 

strontygirl wrote:
Both the scenarios that you've run before sound good to me. Is there any reason that you couldn't re-run one of them at the con? (Like say they take 3 sessions not 3 hours to play).

No reason at all, except perhaps that I have told too many people about the punchline ending of the "King Arthur in a Box" story. What I might do is generate characters for that one and run it a few times for people who aren't going to be at Pheno as a way of working it into shape. Two of my best con games every have been made up in twenty minutes, in the car on the way to a playtest.

The organisers at Pheno are very reluctant to allow multi-session games, because they are difficult to schedule. One of my friends (who has run about a dozen very successful games at Pheno and Cancon over the years and who has a solid rep, is petitioning for a two-session game next year, a freeform (LARP) for fifty players one session either side of the Sunday lunch break. That's much easier to schedule than multiple two-session games for different groups but the same GM. I don't think of asking for it.

On the other hand, perhaps I can rely on the players at a con to play faster than the lounging lizards in a typical lounge room. Last thing I ran at Pheno' ran five times in three-hour slots with only very slight over-runs, but in the four or five times I have run it privately it has never finished in under five hours.

Quote:
I don't know anything about Tannhauser, so can't really comment on that idea.

Tannhäuser is the German version (or one of the German versions) of the wide-spread folk story motif also represented by Thomas the Rhymer (Scottish/Borders) and many others. A man goes in to Fäerie (usually as lover of a fairy queen, but sometimes as a minstrel or knight of a fairy king), and he enjoys the bliss of Fäerie and loses track of time. But after a while he starts pining for something in the lands of Men: the companionship of his old friends, the service of his true king, the affection of his true love, or the comforts of religion. Overcoming the reluctance of his hosts he goes home, and when he gets there something tragic happens or is discovered. There are versions in which decades or generations have passed and his friends, king, and lover are dead; versions in which he breaks a prohibition such as against touching the ground and dies or is trapped, versions in which he cannot approach the church or bear the sound of the bells etc.

In the Tannhäuser version a knight spends a year in "the Venusberg" "worshipping" "Venus", but is overcome by a sense of sin and returns to the world of men for absolution. But his priest and bishop tell him that his sins are unforgivable, so he makes a pilgrimage to Rome to consult with the pope. The pope, though sympathetic, reluctantly agrees that his sins are indeed unforgivable. The knight sadly returns home. Three days later the pope's staff sprouts and blossoms, he realises that all sins may—must—be forgiven. He sends messengers hurrying after the knight, but when they get to his home it is too late: the knight has already returned to the Venusberg and will die unshriven. This version attached itself to two historical figures: a Minnesänger named Tannhäuser and Pope Urban IV, who gave it a time around 1264 and a place probably at Tannhäusen in Swabia. A later version in opera padded this out by combining it with the legend of the Sängerkrieg, which moved the action to Wartburg in Thuringia and made the period a little bit more ambiguous.

Thinking about the legend of Tannhäuser I am immediately struck by the thought that in early versions "Venus" must have been Freya (the German pagan goddess who was identified with Venus in the Interpretatio romana), and in the earliest versions the elvish queen of some sacred hill or mountain.

Thinking further, I speculate about Tannhäuser's sin thus: What can it have been that Tannhäuser feared and Pope Urban IV agreed it was unforgiveable, but that God disagreed and thought it worth working a miracle to say so? Worshipping a pagan goddess is not really convincing, since millions of pagan worshippers have converted without trouble. Neither is "worshipping Venus" as a euphemism for sex, since lots of libertines have been forgiven after more than a year of licentiousness. Had Tannhäuser blasphemed the Holy Ghost (the only sin that a pope ought to consider beyond his powers to forgive)? That seems extraneous to any content in the surviving story, besides being dull, and besides raising the question that blaspheming the Holy Ghost is unforgivable. Had Tannhäuser been bonking a elvish queen? And might he and a pope both think that was unforgivable. Conceivably, though Tolkien has rather dulled the modern fantasy fan's revulsion against sex with elvish princesses. That certainly wouldn't cut the mustard for an RPG adventure these days.

So how about this: what if Tannhäuser spent a year as the lover not of an elvish queen but of an elvish lord. Cultural homophobia makes Tannhäuser's anxiety and the pope's mistake more believable. It's a twist, a point of interest. The miracle and its meaning will probably go over well these days, with Tannhäuser gay. One of the young people is likely to congratulate me on "deconstructing" something.

I like it. But I think it is probably a short story and not an RPG adventure.

My SFRPG setting, Flat Black

© My posts on SFRPG must not be reproduced beyond the board except with explicit permission from me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:23 pm 

Thanks for the Tanhauser explanation. You new homosexual spin on it really does sound interesting, but for me I think it would be a "pick your players very carefully" scenario, so I'm not sure it is the sort of thing that I'd want to run for total strangers at a con.

If you don't want to do another British country house, how about doing a decidedly urban setting like Dickensian London or something similar? Give it an urban mythology vibe like Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere or the Hellblazer comics. Not by inventing your own mythology, but by having something like a Black Dog following old pathways or Spring Heeled Jack, or imagining how a dryad/faun/satyr would adapt to life in a grimy, polluted, crowded city.