I'm in the very early stages of designing an adventure for an RPG con that will be held in Canberra next year. So early indeed that I am as yet undecided between four broad genres. I need to bounce some ideas around among some roleplayers, but sadly there aren't many around here and the ones I know in person are likely to want to play at Pheno'. So
- if you're a likely Pheno' '13 attender, please read no further; but otherwise
- I'd be grateful if you'd help me kick a few ideas around.
The four ideas I have in mind are as follows.
- I think that Victory Games James Bond 007 could easily support a fun con game.
- I'd like to give my SF setting Flat Black another outing at the cons.
- I have a hankering to take one of my inter-War period fantasy adventures to the cons.
- I have a very cute idea for a party of PCs in a setting inspired by Girl Genius, but little idea of what might make a good con-length adventure there.
One thing to bear in mind is that I get only three hours each time to run the adventure. It has to be brief, and therefore to produce any effect vivid, with broadly-drawn characters over an armature of solid trope. The players have to be able to act decisively without much information, and that suggests that the setting must be well either known or built on solid tropes, and that the genre etc. must give the players a clear idea of appropriate courses of action. We can't have any thrashing in there.
To reduce confusion, I'm going to make a separate thread for each idea. This is the one for the gaslamp fantasy.
I have an idea I like for a party of PCs for a game setting in something like Phil & Kaja Foglio's Girl Genius
, i.e. set in an alternative Victorian period with MAD SCIENCE. The problem is that I don't know what they do
- The Beautiful Daughter of a Mad Scientist
- her father's Deformed and/or Deranged Assistant
- one of his most successful Constructs (i.e. a Frankenstein's monster)
- a high-performance Clank (electromechanical man with a Babbage Brain)
- an uplifted animal, such as a Squid in a Tank (both senses intended)
The Mad Scientist himself seems to be missing.
- Perhaps he has been killed by Enraged Townsfolk, and the adventure is about the PCs escaping to a safe haven through a thicket of torches and pitchforks.
- Perhaps he has been kidnapped, and the adventure is about rescuing him.
- Perhaps he is about to become the latest consort of the mad and semi-mechanical Queen-Empress Gloriana, and has to be rescued preferably without precipitating a Constitutional Crisis
What happens if I set this in Australia
I have a vision of Windsor Castle converted into a land dreadnought, with excavating engines ahead and treads underneath, steaming at nine knots through firm shale and leaving a churned wake of rock and soil behind it. Can I work that in somehow?