SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:53 pm 

What is that one must-have feature you love in medieval RPG games or the one feature you always wished for but that no one actually made into a RPG medieval game?

I'm the controversial guy in the family. I have a negative essence and I tendency to reject the common being. I value practical things. Beauty comes always in second place. I'm self taught. I study what I want and when I want. War rages within myself ever since I can remember it. Part of me loves life part of me hates it. I celebrate nothing apart form my marriage. The rest of the year is gray like my soul. Only shouts of creativity give it some color but only when I'm next to my beloved ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:41 am 

A plausible background economy. Harnmaster is the only pseudo-medieval
roleplaying game I am aware of where the world's economy survives a clo-
ser look without becoming outright ridiculous, in most games the economy
of the world could never work as described, or only for a very short time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:58 am 

What trouble's me most with the established economies found practically in every game, is their lack of dynamism. Mont & blade is really satisfying in such regard as cities will have their wealth level (prosperity) 'adjusted' to their dependable resources. If the player or the enemy attacks farms which cities depend on, the city's wealth will start to decrease. This means that less people will be available for recruitment and that general business conducted over there will be far less lucrative. Unfortunately, Mount & Blade is not made to fully support the doom of realms, just by cutting their resources.

What kind of complexity would you like to see in 'the' economy system you idealize? What features should it bear to satisfy you?

I'm the controversial guy in the family. I have a negative essence and I tendency to reject the common being. I value practical things. Beauty comes always in second place. I'm self taught. I study what I want and when I want. War rages within myself ever since I can remember it. Part of me loves life part of me hates it. I celebrate nothing apart form my marriage. The rest of the year is gray like my soul. Only shouts of creativity give it some color but only when I'm next to my beloved ones.

Last edited by Endorya on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:20 am 

You already mentioned the most important point, an economy should react
to the events of the game and the activities of the characters. For example,
when a band of adventurers hits the town with cartloads of treasure, there
should be signs of inflation, but I would not expect a precise mathematical
model.

A related point I would consider important is that a game's economy should
be the same for player characters and for the general society of the game's
world. For example, when a horse costs a certain amount of silver coins for
an adventurer and lots of people in the town ride horses, all of these people
should have a sufficient income to make the horses affordable for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:07 am 

Indeed.

And if for some reason the city sees its wealth drop, its citizens' buying power should also decrease. Taking your expensive-horse example into consideration, people would cease to ride horses or at least some of them, depending on how the city's wealth was cut down. Their clothing and belongings should also be revised so their possible 'loot' would be adjusted accordingly.

I will definitely create something like this for my game's economy system.
Is there any other thing you would love to see implemented or improved in a game?

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited by Endorya on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:21 pm 

Realism. If I were ever to go back to playing a Fantasy RPG. I would want to set it in the real Dark Ages - where monsters of the Id and monstrous individuals reigned supreme. The supernatural element would come into play, as something not naturally understood even by a contemporary observer. Going into holes in the ground, could be old Roman mines or it could be natural caverns. But, essentially, I would want to strip magic down to shamanic qualities and the belief in the miracle for it to transpire. So, ultra-realistic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:52 pm 

kafka wrote:
Realism. If I were ever to go back to playing a Fantasy RPG. I would want to set it in the real Dark Ages - where monsters of the Id and monstrous individuals reigned supreme. The supernatural element would come into play, as something not naturally understood even by a contemporary observer. Going into holes in the ground, could be old Roman mines or it could be natural caverns. But, essentially, I would want to strip magic down to shamanic qualities and the belief in the miracle for it to transpire. So, ultra-realistic.

Sorry, I'm not sure if I fully understood your point of view on how to view fantasy as ultra-realistic. :?

Can I ask you more examples of the realism you refer to?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:08 pm 

rust wrote:
A plausible background economy. Harnmaster is the only pseudo-medieval
roleplaying game I am aware of where the world's economy survives a clo-
ser look without becoming outright ridiculous, in most games the economy
of the world could never work as described, or only for a very short time.

Well, if you are interested in anything similar to D&D, there is Adventurer, Conqueror King System, which is essentially old-school D&D done 'right' in terms of consistency in society and economy. The authors, at least one of whom has a Master's Degree in History, have gone to great lengths to get the economy to make sense and to make sure that the effects of magic are taken into account in the society they design.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:38 pm 

Endorya wrote:
kafka wrote:

Sorry, I'm not sure if I fully understood your point of view on how to view fantasy as ultra-realistic. :?

Can I ask you more examples of the realism you refer to?
Thanks.

If you are more familiar with the terms 'High Fantasy' and 'Low Fantasy' (from literary circles), I think kafka is describing 'Ultra Low Fantasy' ... like Beowulf (the epic poem) only even more so ... perhaps more like the Icelandic Sagas where 'monsters' are out there somewhere, but the characters are real and the creatures they fight are also very real.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:35 pm 

Endorya wrote:
Is there any other thing you would love to see implemented or improved in a game?

Utilitarian magic. In many games magic is restricted to "heroic" uses, especially
in combat, but any plausible society would attempt to use magic also for every-
day uses, because this is where the biggest markets and the most money are.
Just take a look at our world's advanced technologies. No matter what teflon
was invented for, its main use is now in everyone's kitchen. Our world's best
selling robot does not explore distant planets or fight on the battlefields, it ac-
tually looks like a cuddly seal and is used in nursing*. Transistors are used in
consumer electronics. I am convinced that the same would happen to magic,
people would find ways to use it primarily to make everyday chores easier and
everyday life more interesting.

* http://www.parorobots.com/