SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 10:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Extreme World Settings
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:55 am 

My noble knights, I'm hereby to ask your assistance regarding this forthcoming quest:

What do you think about having a heavily formatted world setting? What I mean is, having its own names for yearly seasons, months, days and its own time tracking (other than a 24 hour system).

I ask this because I'm concerned that this might turn the game into an overwhelming experience forcing the player learning too much before allowing it to become immersed with it. Or am I simply underestimating the enthusiasm borne by hardcore RPG lovers?

I'm the controversial guy in the family. I have a negative essence and I tendency to reject the common being. I value practical things. Beauty comes always in second place. I'm self taught. I study what I want and when I want. War rages within myself ever since I can remember it. Part of me loves life part of me hates it. I celebrate nothing apart form my marriage. The rest of the year is gray like my soul. Only shouts of creativity give it some color but only when I'm next to my beloved ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:19 pm 

In one sense, it depends on how central the differences are to the world. If the world has a north pole-like 6 months of day and 6 months of night, then you will definitely need new terms to define time. On the other hand, if a day is still 24 hours and you just want to divide it into 36 units of light and 36 units of darkness, then it is adding fuss without any real benefit.

For seasons, I think that any attempt to significantly change terms will just add unnecessary complexity ... if there is a hot time of the year, then people will think of it as summer and calling it something else might just feel like playing a game in another language.

Time of day, on the other hand, might easily lend itself to a more descriptive approach. I always liked the practical experience terms for time: Pre-Dawn, Sunrise, Early morning, Mid-Morning, High Noon, Early Afternoon, Mid-Afternoon, Late Afternoon, Sunset, Twilight, Midnight.

If possible, it would be best if the game could be enjoyed without worrying about the new terms, but learing the new terms conveyed some sort of 'hint-like' benefits in the game.

I hope that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:12 pm 
Administrator

There are settings like that (e.g. Skyrealms of Jorune, or The Mechanical Dream) which have their own names for things (and where players pretty much need to relearn everything) but the general consensus seems to be that they will be of interest to some people, but most people will find it very hard to get into.

evildrganymede.net - visit the The Worldbuilding Hub, and check out my Science Blog!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:06 pm 

atpollard wrote:
Time of day, on the other hand, might easily lend itself to a more descriptive approach. I always liked the practical experience terms for time: Pre-Dawn, Sunrise, Early morning, Mid-Morning, High Noon, Early Afternoon, Mid-Afternoon, Late Afternoon, Sunset, Twilight, Midnight.

Funny, I was working yesterday on how to describe the time of day. This is how I did it:
- Dawn,
- Sunrise,
- Early Morning,
- Morning,
- Late Morning,
- Midday,
- Early Afternoon,
- Afternoon,
- Late Afternoon,
- Sunset,
- Dusk,
- Evening,
- Midnight,
- Late night

EDG wrote:
There are settings like that (e.g. Skyrealms of Jorune, or The Mechanical Dream) which have their own names for things (and where players pretty much need to relearn everything) but the general consensus seems to be that they will be of interest to some people, but most people will find it very hard to get into.

I share the same view you do. I think I will use a standard calendar.

Thank you both!

I'm the controversial guy in the family. I have a negative essence and I tendency to reject the common being. I value practical things. Beauty comes always in second place. I'm self taught. I study what I want and when I want. War rages within myself ever since I can remember it. Part of me loves life part of me hates it. I celebrate nothing apart form my marriage. The rest of the year is gray like my soul. Only shouts of creativity give it some color but only when I'm next to my beloved ones.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:05 pm 

Different names for seasons are worthwhile if your seasons are not clones of mid latitude spring-summer-autumn-winter. If you are wanting to mimic something that is more like the tropics, then name them dry season, monsoon season and the like. I have vague memories that the Masai Mara region has two rainy seasons and a dry season, which all have local names.

Giving months "ethnic" names that reflect the local farming year or customs could be interesting, especially if you tie them into plot related events. The Moon of Planting, The Moon of Fasting & Meditation, The Moon of Vermin & Plagues. This, of course, assumes your planet has a moon so that someone invented the concept of the month! :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:48 am 

strontygirl wrote:
Different names for seasons are worthwhile if your seasons are not clones of mid latitude spring-summer-autumn-winter. If you are wanting to mimic something that is more like the tropics, then name them dry season, monsoon season and the like. I have vague memories that the Masai Mara region has two rainy seasons and a dry season, which all have local names.

Giving months "ethnic" names that reflect the local farming year or customs could be interesting, especially if you tie them into plot related events. The Moon of Planting, The Moon of Fasting & Meditation, The Moon of Vermin & Plagues. This, of course, assumes your planet has a moon so that someone invented the concept of the month! :-)

Few days ago I was looking at the season's names and I was really not fond about them. I mean Winter, Summer, Spring and Autumn. These however easy to follow names kinda break the game's atmosphere. So I guess I will change them into something different while retaining a feeling to each season. Maybe something like: Frost, Light, Bloom and Decay.

Thanks for the hint.