SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:40 am 

Oh boy, have I been busy lately...

I've been developing my game and adding data to it as well as setting up its website, unfortunately the website still needs to be loaded with too much information before it can go available publicly. Anyway, now that I'm over the game's magic system, I was really thinking of making it different from traditional fantasy games, where in traditional games, players are able to cast magic just like that, with no restrictions whatever except for the character's mana availability. So, how different could I do it? I want it to be plausibly "realistic" with a failry criteria demand.

My game has 9 magic schools, each one focusing in a particular area.
They are the following:

* Sun (Collects its power from heat sources like the Sun and fire)
* Stone (collects the energy from big chucks of solid rock.)
* Lotus (Collects the energy from plants, from grass to trees)
* Eclipse (Collects the energy from the negative discharges of energy that happen at night)
* Moon (Collects the energy at night from the light's moon)
* Comet (Collects the energy from the cosmos)
* Storm (Collects the energy from the planet's atmosphere and water)
* Leech (Collects the energy from all the living creatures, plants and animals)
* Feral (Collects also the energy exclusively from wild animals)

Ok, so what I'm attempting to do is restricting the way each magic school works to cast magic. This is what I have so far:

Sun - It needs at least one of the following conditions:
* Day time with with about 60% of the sky without clouds.
* Any character in the party actively hold a torch or any other fire source.

Stone
* A land type rich in rocks like mountains and rocky deserts.
* It can work quite well inside constructions like castles and dungeons.
* Unable to function if rocks are covered with ice or snow.

Lotus
* It requires biomes full of plants like forests and grasslands.

Eclipse - It needs all of the following conditions:
* It requires night time.
* Air humidity above 60%

Moon - It needs all of the following conditions:
* A quarter of moon's light visibility.

Comet - It needs all of the following conditions:
* They sky should be at least 60% clear of clouds.

Storm - It needs all of the following conditions:
* Environmental humidity of 70%
* They sky should be at least 60% filled with clouds.

Leech
* It requires land types filled with life, plants or animals.

Feral
* It requires land types with abundant large, wild animals.

These restrictions may look more than fairly, nonetheless, those who exercise magic will be able to store their spells into runes, allowing them to cast spells without needing to match that particular magic school's criteria. However, runes will have a limited amount of spell storing capacity and will break to dust after some usages. Wizards will also need to recharge these runes under normal casting criteria before they can used them at will. I think this will provide the right flexibility for casting magic under various scenarios, without making a wizard feeling too week or incredibly too powerful. Though I strongly believe that with the right strategy they will still present themselves a very dangerous character to have as both an opponent and ally.

Is there anything you would like to add about this game play mechanics.

I'm the controversial guy in the family. I have a negative essence and I tendency to reject the common being. I value practical things. Beauty comes always in second place. I'm self taught. I study what I want and when I want. War rages within myself ever since I can remember it. Part of me loves life part of me hates it. I celebrate nothing apart form my marriage. The rest of the year is gray like my soul. Only shouts of creativity give it some color but only when I'm next to my beloved ones.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:18 am 

How far away can the source of your power be for the animal/plant/rocks ones? Do you need to be standing next to a herd of deer for Feral to work, or will it still work even if the nearest herd of deer is 5 miles away, hidden in the middle of that forest over there? Also a definition of 'large' would be good. Are we talking roe deer, red deer or moose?

You'll probably want to add "covered in soil" to the list of when the Stone one doesn't work. After all, if you dig deep enough you'll always find rocks eventually.

I think I'd need a degree in meteorology to figure out whether any given situation is likely to be 50, 60 or 70% humidity. Is there a simpler way of describing this? Do you even need it? The humidity (and other bits of weather) is something that is vastly out of the player's control, and wildly subject to GM fiat. I predict that not only will there be grumbling that you have to wait until night time, but you have to wait until night AND less than 60% cloud cover.

The only water one you have is Storm, which needs clouds too. If you are in the middle of a big lake or out at sea, you shouldn't have to hang around for clouds to get enough water to power your spells.

Finally... are the spells also tied to the Schools? e.g. do Storm guys cast 'lightning bolt' but not 'control elephant' whilst Feral guys do the opposite. Or can any school of magic do anything?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:02 pm 

strontygirl wrote:
How far away can the source of your power be for the animal/plant/rocks ones? Do you need to be standing next to a herd of deer for Feral to work, or will it still work even if the nearest herd of deer is 5 miles away, hidden in the middle of that forest over there? Also a definition of 'large' would be good. Are we talking roe deer, red deer or moose?

I see what you mean. Well the type of land the player's party is in, like forest, desert, canyon, swamp etc, will tell the amount of life, animals and plants and general temperature and humidity that is needed to cast a spell.

- For Feral you need places like jungles forests and savannas to power their spells, despising if such animals are in vicinity or not;
- For Lotus you definitely need forests grasslands and other places filled with plants.
strontygirl wrote:
You'll probably want to add "covered in soil" to the list of when the Stone one doesn't work. After all, if you dig deep enough you'll always find rocks eventually.

Hmmm. That's a good idea but I guess the land type already says it. I want Stone magic school to be based on shaping small portions of ground, like lifting a chunk of land in front of the character to block an incoming ranged attack. It's currently restriction doesn't make a lot of sense mostly because dirt itself is a mineral and should be treated as rock. But if this magic school can function with dirt it can function pretty much with all types of land, making it too powerful in relation to other magic schools. Any suggestions?
strontygirl wrote:
I think I'd need a degree in meteorology to figure out whether any given situation is likely to be 50, 60 or 70% humidity. Is there a simpler way of describing this? Do you even need it? The humidity (and other bits of weather) is something that is vastly out of the player's control, and wildly subject to GM fiat. I predict that not only will there be grumbling that you have to wait until night time, but you have to wait until night AND less than 60% cloud cover.

There is no GM because this is for a video game, meaning that all these attributes will be computed based on the player's position in the planet, time of the year and land type. Some magic schools won't be able to work in dry climates and vice verse.
strontygirl wrote:
The only water one you have is Storm, which needs clouds too. If you are in the middle of a big lake or out at sea, you shouldn't have to hang around for clouds to get enough water to power your spells.

Good point! I think only one of those criteria should be needed.
strontygirl wrote:
Finally... are the spells also tied to the Schools? e.g. do Storm guys cast 'lightning bolt' but not 'control elephant' whilst Feral guys do the opposite. Or can any school of magic do anything?

Each school plays its role.

[VERY resumed]
* Sun is about fire spells
* Stone is the defense magic school able to grab chunks of ground for defense and attack.
* Lotus is about healing
* Eclipse is about necromancy and cursing
* Comet is about blessing and teleporting
* Moon is about transformation characters into powerful creatures
* Storm is about lighting, wind and water controlling
* Leech is about weakning by stealing or transforming life, mana or stamina into other attributes.
* Feral is about summoning wild beasts and damage bonus

I'm the controversial guy in the family. I have a negative essence and I tendency to reject the common being. I value practical things. Beauty comes always in second place. I'm self taught. I study what I want and when I want. War rages within myself ever since I can remember it. Part of me loves life part of me hates it. I celebrate nothing apart form my marriage. The rest of the year is gray like my soul. Only shouts of creativity give it some color but only when I'm next to my beloved ones.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:23 pm 

Quote:
Hmmm. That's a good idea but I guess the land type already says it. I want Stone magic school to be based on shaping small portions of ground, like lifting a chunk of land in front of the character to block an incoming ranged attack. It's currently restriction doesn't make a lot of sense mostly because dirt itself is a mineral and should be treated as rock. But if this magic school can function with dirt it can function pretty much with all types of land, making it too powerful in relation to other magic schools. Any suggestions?

You can say that it doesn't work with soil, because soil is actually mineral particles mixed in with dead organic matter (humus), live organic matter (microbes, earthworms, plant roots, etc) and moisture. So perhaps the percentage of rock particles to other stuff just isn't high enough in most soils?

This website says that most soils are 2 to 10% humus, but that's calculated after you've taken the water out: http://www.agriinfo.in/?page=topic&superid=5&topicid=137

The above argument means that they will be able to power their spells in desert sands (no moisture, organic matter oxidized away) though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:55 pm 

strontygirl wrote:
Quote:

You can say that it doesn't work with soil, because soil is actually mineral particles mixed in with dead organic matter (humus), live organic matter (microbes, earthworms, plant roots, etc) and moisture. So perhaps the percentage of rock particles to other stuff just isn't high enough in most soils?

This website says that most soils are 2 to 10% humus, but that's calculated after you've taken the water out: http://www.agriinfo.in/?page=topic&superid=5&topicid=137

The above argument means that they will be able to power their spells in desert sands (no moisture, organic matter oxidized away) though.

Actually, I think that can work to the system´s advantage.

Let´s say Stone can work when you´re standing on soil... with a lot of effort, it isn´t easy, it isn´t pretty, but it works, sort of. When standing on bare rock, on the other hand, the older, the better, you can REALLY kick ass.

It can be similar with other schools... Sun magic can work in moonlight, because moonlight is sunlight reflected off the moon. Feral can work with a tamed (but not domesticated - pet wolf, yes, but not pet dog) animal around, but the more animals and the wilder they are, the better. Lotus can work, more or less, as long as you aren´t in a completely barren wasteland. And so on.

Don´t make prerequisites an "all or nothing" condition; let magical work better, or more easily, the more favorable the conditions are.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:43 pm 

Will characters (not just the Player, but any character) be able to use mulitple Schools of Magic? How will that work? Do you get some kind of skill level in each of them and then develop the ones you use the most?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:03 pm 

Thank you for the replies and sorry for my late response.

@ strontygirl
That's a fine argument. Maybe I can use that.

@ Sir Chaos
The reason for doing it "all or nothing" is bound to the fact that all those who practice magic can still exercise it without restrictions whatsoever because they can rely on runes to cast magic, free from any casting criteria. Runes however, have a limited storage capacity and will crumble to dust after some number of uses. This will counterbalance magic's casting criteria restrictions as well as providing a sort of strategy, forcing mages to carefully decide when and what spells to store in their limited supply of runes.

@ Cyborg IM1
Anyone can learn any type and amount of magic schools. There are no roles / classes in my game but about 110 skills totally unlocked for training, while restricted to certain main attribute requirements. Each skill goes from 0 to 100 and there is a new criteria for every 10 points of advancement. For example, to become a really good archer the character must have a high Dexterity and Perception, like having a Perception of 15 to reach Bow skill to 60 and a Perception level of 16 to be able to reach Bow skill to level 70. The same mechanics will apply for magic casting, mostly consisting on Intelligence, Spirit and memory main attributes demands.

You can have a character competent to cast basic spells of 6 different magic schools or having a character casting high level spells just from a single magic school as well as being a good fisherman. It all depends on how the player is willing to develop his character or his party.