SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Edition Hate
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:32 pm 

David wrote:
Vile wrote:
Look, it's simple. Everybody converts to Basic Roleplaying, everybody's happy. Image

And I can stop having to convert every damn game in the world to Basic Roleplaying. :geek:

Sounds good to me.

BRP looks a bit too complicated for me! :o :twisted: :P

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:25 pm 

Jame Rowe wrote:
BRP looks a bit too complicated for me!

Nah, BRP is one of the easiest basic systems you will ever come across. The new BRP book is so fat for the simple reason that it collects just about every BRP rule ever published, which is a lot of add-ons. But you will never use 80% of them in any one game, they are just the result of how easily expandable the system is to different genres.

There's a free BRP Quick Start PDF on the Chaosium site, unfortunately it requires a log-in to download. There are also the original tiny BRP rules which tell you all about the system.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:06 am 

Vile wrote:
Maybe that's something to do with the way the setting was tied into the rules, and the fact that the setting period changed (with quite drastic effects) with each edition prior to Mongoose. Coming from a Gloranthan upbringing*, I've always hated being gregged by setting changes way more than rule changes. It's not so much that "your" setting becomes invalid, after all you chose what makes it into your game universe and what doesn't. It's just that it makes it harder to fit in published products which follow the new official line, so you end up having to be more and more self-reliant as a referee.

*Vinga: There is no need for that. Really. :ugeek:
Your gonna find that with any meta-plot driven game. Shadowrun, WoD, the afore-mentioned Runequest, most published D&D settings; they all advance the basic setting premise
and complicate the integration of later product. Others establish a baseline and avoid changing the timeline while they explore other parts of the world with new supplements; it's your sandbox.

Personally, I prefer a dearth of rules. I like Cyberpunk(not2020) for that. I gives a basic mechanic, fairly generic equipment and all kinds of customization suggestions. I like building on a raw framework, mainly because it's a buffer from "But page 232, paragraph 3 says the Yamaguchi security only have a gun skill of 5 and light SMGs."

But it's like someone else already said, it's mainly just a matter of taste.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:33 am 
Banned

Vile wrote:
Jame Rowe wrote:
BRP looks a bit too complicated for me!

Nah, BRP is one of the easiest basic systems you will ever come across. The new BRP book is so fat for the simple reason that it collects just about every BRP rule ever published, which is a lot of add-ons. But you will never use 80% of them in any one game, they are just the result of how easily expandable the system is to different genres.

I like BRP. Its got a simple smooth running mechanic, and as like you said Its easy to hang new stuff onto it with out bogging down the system.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:52 am 

I don't think it's so much rules or editions that people hate. People hate change.
I'll bitch and moan and complain and house-rule my favourite system to death. But don't you change it! If you do a new edition with rules changes that 'fix' things, well, then it's Fatwa time! (I've no idea how to spell fatwa).

I seem to recall a LOT of hate for 3.5 whilst it was current. Now that 4E has come out it seems to be "you'll have to prize my 3.5 books from my cold dead hands!" Look at Paizo! Though that does seem to have a lot to do with the licensing (and flipping the bird to WotC).

I personally love 4E. I think it's the simplest and fastest and (so far) most balanced implementation of the D&D rules to date, but I agree with Dave; It is essentially a minis combat game with some skills for doing, you know, talking stuff. But then I feel exactly the same about Savage Worlds.

Traveller I could care less about (regardless of edition) and do with each passing day. The setting doesn't interest me and I've yet to see a rule system that I like.

Crow