SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 1:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:40 pm 

Interlock games (Mekton, Cyberpunk..)
scores are rated from 2-10. Either point buy or 1d10, rerolling 1's.
Attractiveness, Body Type, Cool, Empathy, Intelligence, Luck, Movement Allowance, Reflexes and Technical Ability.

Dragon Warriors is 3d6 for Strength, Reflexs, Intelligence, Psychic talent and looks.
Health points are 1d6 plus a modifier based on class. Other stats are based on class.

In the babylon progect you can modify your stats by up to +/-2 from the average for your race. Human averages are;
Charm 6, finnesse 6, presence 4 xenorelation 5
intelligence 5, insight 5, wits 4, perception 4
strength 4, agility 5, endurance 4, coordination 5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:48 pm 
The Revelator

One thing that has always bugged me beyond belief with RPGs is the general failure to differentiate between:

Dexterity: Hand-to-eye coordination
Writing, typing, sewing, shooting a rifle, firing a bow and arrow, making a wind-up fob watch, forging a signature, picking a lock with skeleton keys, tumbling a safe lock, etc.

and

Agility: Bodily coordination
Balancing on a tightrope, swinging from trapeze to trapeze, climbing a rope ladder, riding a horse/bicycle/motorbike, balancing on a ball whilst juggling, diving between laser beams in a bank vault, leaping from one moving vehicle to another (a la Indiana Jones) etc.

I have already developed a method for determining both of these, but the problem I face is quantifying these abilities as "scores" within a "range".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:59 pm 
The Revelator

The other aspect of the Dexterity/Agility problem is pro-prioception, i.e. the ability (or sense) of knowing where your body's limbs are in relation to the rest of the body and the environment. For example - close your eyes and touch your right/left index finger on the end of your nose. You can do this, and get it right, because your body "knows" where your finger is in relation to your nose at all times.

Another example: when I broke my left ankle in a car accident in 2005, the whole leg went haywire. When the whole leg plaster came off after 10 weeks, I had to "teach" the leg where it was in relation to the rest of my body. When I started to walk on it, the leg insisted that the floor was actually further away (i.e. lower) from the sole of my left foot than it was from my right (uninjured) foot. This meant that I walked like some sort of demented ostrich trying to do a one-legged goose-step march, as the left leg really didn't know where it was in relation to the rest of my body and the floor. And yes, everybody laughed.... :lol: :oops:

This ability of the body to know where its limbs are in space and in relation to the rest of the body has been ignored in RPGs; I think I can rectify that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:00 pm 

Spacemaster/rolemaster do, 1-100 (well more like 40-110) for:
constitution, agility, self discipline, memory, reasoning
strength, quickness, presence, intuition and empathy.

Then there are some games that don't have stats as such, but aspects. Fudge games like Spirit of the Century, or the old minds eye theatre LARP games.

3:16 has two stats. You have 10 points to split between fighting ability and non-fighting ability. Bet your wishing for the giddy detail of a dex stat now :D

West end games was another where you allocaated whole dice and used them as a stat.

I don't remember how men in black works, but thats OK as I'm not going to admit I have a copy....damn.

Most other stuff I have are variations of them. eg, True20 drops the 3-18 stat but uses d20 modifiers as the stat, the oWoD games are similar to nWoD and so on....

It's getting late, so I'll have a root in the morning and see if I have any others if you like...

Last edited by Gallowglacht on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:08 am 

rust wrote:
Technical Understanding and Social Competence (mutually exclusive)
:geek: :? :ugeek: :lol:
John goes for a walk
Hope you're better now! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:39 am 

Shadowrun has:

Strength
Body
Quickness
Intelligence
Willpower
Charisma

For humans the values of these are 1-6, but cyberware or magic could get them higher; metahumans can have much higher ratings.

Shadowrun also has Essence and Magic. Implanting cyberware reduces Essence; if it goes below 0 the character dies. Only Mages have a Magic rating higher than 0, but the upper limit of your Magic rating is your Essence, so Mages rarely use cyberware as it reduces their ability.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:17 am 
The Revelator

Vile wrote:
rust wrote:
Technical Understanding and Social Competence (mutually exclusive)
:geek: :? :ugeek: :lol:
John goes for a walk
Hope you're better now! ;)
Closer to the truth at the time than you'll ever know!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:36 am 

John wrote:
One thing that has always bugged me beyond belief with RPGs is the general failure to differentiate between:
Dexterity: Hand-to-eye coordination
and
Agility: Bodily coordination

Midgard, the oldest German fantasy roleplaying game, has the characteristics
Stärke (Strength), Geschicklichkeit (Dexterity), Gewandtheit (Agility), Konsti-
tution (Constitution), Intelligenz (Intelligence) and Zaubertalent (Magical Ta-
lent).
All characteristics are determined by d% (roll twice, keep the better one), just
like for the Perry Rhodan RPG (which is based upon the Midgard system).

Geschicklichkeit / Dexterity is used as the basic characteristic for activities like
firing a bow or picking a lock, Gewandtheit / Agility for activities like balancing
or climbing.
Ges/Dex is also a part of the formula for a character's attack bonus and damage
bonus, while a character's defense bonus is based on Gew/Agility.

Each skill in Midgard has minimum requirements for the important characteristics,
as well as a bonus for exceptionally high key characteristics.
For example, a character needs an agility of at least 31 to learn the cross coun-
try running skill (don't laugh - it is percect for running away across a rough ter-
rain ...) or a dexterity of at least 61 to learn the gambling skill.
This means all skills that a character can learn and use successfully are tied to
his characteristics - a wrong career decision can well be suicidal because none
of the career's key skills are available to a character with too low key characte-
ristics.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:39 am 
The Revelator

Thanks for that, rust - that is the *only* RPG I've ever heard of that addresses the Dexterity/Agility issue :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:06 am 

Another one would be Harnmaster by Columbia Games.

It has 10 (!) physical attributes: Stärke (Strength), Ausdauer (Endurance),
Geschicklichkeit (Dexterity), Beweglichkeit (Agility), Flinkheit (could be trans-
lated as "Quickness", but I have no idea what it is named in the original Eng-
lish version) plus the 5 "senses" (Seeing, Hearing, Smell/Taste, Touch, Voice).

However, attributes in Harnmaster are handled somewhat differently from the
characteristics in most other games, they include informations like a charac-
ter's astrological sign (influences his skills) or the social standing of his parents,
so I am not really sure how to compare them with the more common system of
characteristics.

For example, the basic skills of a character are calculated from three attributes
plus his astrological sign.
The formula for "Shipwright" is Strength / Dexterity / Intelligence, the astrological
sign Lado gets a bonus of +4, the astrological sign Masara a bonus of +2.

To create a Harnmaster character one best takes a few days off from work and
retreats to a log cabin in the mountains, but once the character generation is
over, one knows everything about this character.
Unfortunately Harnmaster has an extremely realistic and lethal combat system,
with problems like wound infections the worst character killers, and so it is a
good idea to rent that log cabin permanently during a Harnmaster campaign. :twisted: