SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:28 pm 

I'm just mid-way through my second play-through of Mass Effect 1 (one of the best computer games ever, IMHO), and one of the cool features of the game are "biotic" (i.e. psychic) powers which, for the most part, are telekinetic abilities allowing you to throw enemies off ledges, lift them high in the air and then drop them down, and so on. Can things like these be done in SWN? If so, what mechanics do you propose for them?

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:02 pm 

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:10 pm 

I was hoping for an answer from AdmiralXimenes...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:17 pm 

Looks to me like Telekinesis Level 3 or 4 would be about where you are strong enough to throw people around.

At Level 3 you can manipulate things as if using 2 hands. I would argue that at this point, if a person could throw it physically, they could do it psychically (replacing their Strength score with their Wisdom score).

At Level 4 you can use a Telekinetic Ram causing significant damage. I would think that at this point, they should be able to pick up and move things that are up to a tonne (2000kg) and throw them. If they throw them at a person, then I would just call it the same damage as the Telekinetic Ram. So smaller objects move at a greater speed and larger objects move at a slower speed, but the damage would be essentially the same (after all the psychic is manipulating Kinetic Energy).

Above Level 4 things should get out of hand pretty quickly - perhaps at Level 5, they can lift buildings and by Level 10 are able to affect small moons? Seems really powerful, but if you look at what they can do with the Levels, it seems reasonable.

One good restriction is that Fine Control is very poor at lower levels, so I would make the Psychic roll "to hit" using Wisdom vs Dex or Str as appropriate, giving them a bonus for the Level of Telekinesis they choose to use.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:14 pm 

I like your suggestions!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:49 am 

By default, telekinetic ram only functions against stationary objects. It's great against doors and barricades and stationary vehicles, or if you can sneak up on somebody, but it's not intended as a power you can use against a mobile opponent. Why? Because it's fairly cheap to master for an experienced psychic, and then they'd have a go-to weapon that was superior to anything the warrior could haul around. Any psionic attack powers have to either be once-per-target abilities or function only in a limited context to avoid overshadowing the warriors.

As for moving people around with Telekinesis, you could shift a willing target up to 40 meters a turn with Telekinetic Press. I'd say grabbing an unwilling target is anywhere from "extremely hard" to "impossible"- their reflexive mental resistance creates disruptions that aren't an issue when hauling around inanimate objects. I probably wouldn't allow it on a conscious and resisting target- the best you could do is yank objects out of their hands if they fail their Mental Effect saving throw. Heavy objects can be thrown around with high levels of Telekinesis, but the fine control is so poor that you really can't expect to hit anything that's capable of moving out of the way.

Why? Because again, if telekinesis becomes a useful direct damage power, it steals the warrior's niche. A psychic can pick Constitution as his boosted stat at chargen, slap on armor as heavy as anything the warrior wears, and then use his mastered psychic abilities as his weapon of choice. Not only does he never have to worry about ammo or combat skills, but as long as he remains concealed his victims can't even tell who's attacking them. I find it better to leave the psychic in a utility position, with abilities that work very well for resolving non-combat situations but that aren't as generally handy in a fight as a good mag rifle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:57 pm 

I like that limitation much better than what I suggested. The idea that living objects have some natural protection against telekinetics is a very interesting idea and works well for game balance...

This opens up a new possible PreTech psionic discipline - Fine Telekinesis.

That power starts out at Level 1 with being able to manipulate objects as if you were using one hand (pull a trigger, aim a weapon etc) and allow you finer and finer control as the Level goes up.

At Level 4 or so, you can manipulate objects of about 1mm (pinch off blood vessels etc) but living objects get a saving throw. At very high levels you are able to manipulate atoms or even subatomic particles - this is the power that allowed PreTech societies to create materials that are not possible to be created in the PostTech universe. Too bad this ability was lost with the Scream...

Think of the episode of Babylon 5 first season where Talia meets her old mentor who evolves into a god-like being... He mentions that they were pushing people to stronger powers on a large scale, but also pushing on the small end, trying to create Telekinetic assasins able to kill by pinching off a blood vessel in the brain.

Such power should be very difficult and allow a saving throw to prevent an "instant kill" weapon. It should be easier to kill someone with a bullet than to kill them using Psychic powers, but it should still be possible.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:36 pm 

Um ok, you can throw people around with the first 3 levels of TK
Level 1 to hit penalty and only ten Str
Level 2 to hit penalty and Str 18
Level 3 no more to hit penalty Str 18

since unarmed strikes only do like a d2 your not looking at much damage (d2+2 at levels 2 and 3)
none of the other powers realy give an option for moving people about