SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Currents of Space
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:54 pm 

This is an account of a solo Game of SWN I'm running in my Bright Star sector.
I'm using SWN (obviously), Mythic GME, some home made stuff and Rory's Story Cubes as the solo engines (not all at the same time though).

I'm posting the write-ups including the mechanics used. This is so that readers can get an idea of how systems like Mythic work and encourage them to try them out.

It is also an experience for me, in that when I created Jord McKie, he ended up working for the Syros Security Service. Syros is a world in the Bright Star sector originally created by one of my players as a world in the Diaspora setting. It is a very nasty, totalitarian police state where the Syros Council control ALL aspects of life (the player is a big fan of PARANOIA, this is the gritty version.) McKie serves Syros. It will be interesting to see how he evolves throughout the Game

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:55 pm 

ISSUE ONE - Not What It Seems

Hook: McKie is on Gateway Station to undertake a mission for the Syros Security Service. But, he cannot remember what the mission is.

Opening Scene One
McKie wakes in a small hotel room with no memory of how he got there. There is a body in the room on the floor.

Is the body male? (50/50, C5): Roll 38: Yes
How did he die? Activity-Lies: He was asphyxiated
Was he strangled? (50/50, C5): Roll 98: No! He died from exposure to hard vacuum.
Is he wearing a vacc suit? (50/50, C5): Roll 78: No
Does McKie know who he is? (Unlikely due to memory loss, C5): Roll 34: Yes.
CQ: Create-Weapon
The man is ‘Boss’ Turner and he was a dealer on the weapons black market on Gateway Station.

McKie searched the body, he found the number of a doctor and a commodities broker (I used an Excel random finds roller for this). He continued to search the room, it was a basic hotel room with a bed, closet and shower/toilet attached. He found nothing else in the room.

Is there a telephone in the room? (50/5, C5): Roll 97: No!.

The telephone has been ripped out of the wall and is lying in pieces on the floor.

Does McKie still have all of his kit with him? (Unlikely, C5): Roll 69: No.

Checking his gear, McKie found that his gun was missing, along with his compad. He sat on the edge of the bed and tried to recall anything at all. He knew he was here on a mission for Syros Security, but something had erased his short-term memory.

Can McKie recall anything at all about his mission on Gateway Station? (No Way, C5): Roll 31: No.
Is the door locked? (Likely, C5): Roll 10: Yes!

McKie tried the door, as he expected, it was locked. On examining it closer, the door was not a normal door, it was reinforced and tougher than a normal door.

Is there a window in the room? (50/50, C5): Roll 18: Yes.
What can McKie see out of the window?
CQ: Change - Power.

To his amazement, outside the window he could see large transformers and switching stations, stretching into the distance. The room he was held in appeared to be on the outskirts of a large power plant. McKie banged on the window, trying to attract attention from someone.

Does he attract anyone's attention? (50/50, C5): Roll 41: Yes.

A figure wearing worker's coveralls glances towards the window. McKie gestures towards the door, the person nods and makes their way towards the door. McKie drags the body and hides it under the bed, then faces the door as it opens.

Power Worker - Sally Cliveden
Reaction - Interested
Female, shaven head. Wears power worker coveralls, name tag reads "Cliveden". She smiles as she opens the door.

"Hi. Say, what were you doing in there? That's usually reserved for the duty engineer. The name's Sally, by the way."

"Thanks, Sally", said McKie. "Was out on the town last night and, well, you know, it's all a bit of a blur. Hell, I don't even know where I was staying. Your local stuff has a bit of a kick to it."

Sally frowned at this. "Local stuff? Gateway Station imports all of its alcoholic drinks. I've never heard of any local produced stuff. Anyway, you need to get sorted and I need to get back to work. I'll call you a shuttle to the spaceport; you should be able to backtrack your records from there to find out where you were staying".

Tag for Sally Cliveden: No Body hair
Motive for Sally Cliveden: Waste a Burden (aspires to be better than a Power Tech).

End of Scene One
Threads:
McKie has to complete his Mission on Gateway Station
NPC's:
Syros Security Services, "Boss" Turner, Sally Cliveden
Chaos:
Unchanged at 5

Last edited by Brass Jester on Mon May 27, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:24 pm 

I'm always intrigued by solo play systems and resources, so this is interesting.

I occasionally used to use the old Cities book that has a solo play system for filling in down time in urban based generic fantasy games. Then there's the Traveller trade system. Mythic seems to be a much more generic system based on an iterative question-answer approach. I can see how you'd need some additional content or story element generation tools to supplement it.

Simon Hibbs

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:38 pm 

The main home-grown bit is the SWN Solo System which was published in the last issue of Infinite Stars. I haven't used this yet, but I've got an Excel sheet that generates NPC's and lesser mooks, plus random finds, side treks etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:39 pm 

Scene Two:
• Chaos = 5
Scene: McKie is at the spaceport on Gateway Station, using the facilities to track down where he was staying.
Modified: Roll 9: Scene is unchanged.

McKie approached the reception desk and turned on the "bewildered traveller" look.

"Hello. I'm awfully sorry to bother you. I arrived three days ago, but I've lost my hotel pass. Could you give me another one? I feel such a fool; I always try to keep it safe."

Does the desk clerk believe him? (Likely, C5): Roll 74: Yes.
Did McKie arrive three days ago? (50/50, C5): Roll 26: Yes*
*McKie's attempts to recall his memory are improved by one level.

The clerk checks her terminal and prints off another set of tickets.

"There you go Mr Mackay. You have an apartment at the Monarch Hotel, on an all inclusive open booking. I can arrange for a shuttle to take you there.

End of Scene Two
Threads:
NPC's:
Syros Security Services, "Boss" Turner, Sally Cliveden, Spaceport desk clerk
Chaos:
Unchanged at 5

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:15 am 

Brass Jester wrote:
The main home-grown bit is the SWN Solo System which was published in the last issue of Infinite Stars. I haven't used this yet, but I've got an Excel sheet that generates NPC's and lesser mooks, plus random finds, side treks etc.

You can find it HERE.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:43 pm 

Scene Three
• Chaos = 5
Scene: McKie is at the Monarch hotel in Gateway Station, seeking clues to fill in the gaps in his memory. He goes to his apartment.
Modified: Roll 7: Scene is unchanged.

The apartment in the Monarch is on the 9th floor towards the central core (Gateway Station is a massive Bernal Sphere with outlying agricultural rings. The room is spacious, consisting of a lounge/dining area, two bedrooms, a kitchen and a shower/fresher.

Did McKie leave any kit here before his last mission? (50/50: C5): Roll 91!: Exceptional No

It was obvious that the room had been searched, and clumsily at best. A true professional would have left no traces. So, whoever was after him was hiring amateurs. That had to make them local.

Have they left any clues as to who they were (Somewhat Likely, C5): Roll 33e: Yes and an Event.
CQ: What clue was left? Debase - Illusions:

Lying on the floor was a card bearing the name of a club in the Entertainment District. McKie was certain he hadn't dropped it.

Event:
Focus: Move towards a Thread (McKie's mission) (Care - Status Quo)

Without warning , the door swung open an a man wearing janitor's overalls strode into the room.

"McKie. Once we realised you'd gone missing, it was obvious you'd come back here. The Imani Pact can't afford any loose ends, especially after you killed Turner and set back our plans by months. You've got this coming."

So saying, he pulled out a semi-auto pistol and took aim.

Assassin
Armour Class
9 - (- 1) = 10

Hit Points
Saving Throw
14+
Attack Bonus
Movement
Damage
SA Pistol (1d6+1)
Shots: 12
Morale
Skill Bonus
+1
Dex -1

Semi-auto pistol
Medikit

Initiative
Assassin: 1d8-1 = 3
McKie: 1d8+0 = 2

Combat Round 1
Assassin fires at McKie, roll d20+9-1 = 17: Hit!. McKie takes 5 damage (HP 9, now 4)
McKie grabs a chair and throws it at the assassin; roll d20+10+0 = 29: Hit. Damage (as club) = 4. (Assassin HP 20, now 16)

Round 2
Assassin fires again: roll 10 :Miss.
McKie tries to wrest the gun off him; Str vs. Str roll.
Assassin: 2d6+1: Roll 3
McKie: 2d6+0: Roll 8

McKie wrestles the gun off the assassin and turns it on him.

Assassin morale check: 2d6 <= 9: Roll 9, continues to fight.

Round 3
Assassin leaps at McKie, fists swinging. Roll d20+9-3 (not trained in Unarmed) = 19: Miss
McKie shoots the assassin; Roll d20+10+1 = 30: Hit. Damage = 7. (Assassin HP now 9)

Round 4
Assassin strikes at McKie, roll = 1: Miss.
McKie shoots again, roll = 27: Hit. Damage = 5 (Assassin HP now 4)

Assassin tests morale (at 25% HP): Roll 2d6 = 7: continues to fight.

Round 5
Assassin strikes at McKie, roll = 14: Miss
McKie shoots, roll = 18: Miss

Round 6
Assassin strikes at McKie, roll = 20: Hit. Damage = 2 (McKie now at 2 HP)
McKie shoots, roll = 17: Miss

Round 7
Assassin strikes at McKie, roll = 19: Miss
McKie shoots, roll = 28: Hit. Damage = 6 (Assassin is at 0 HP)

Mckie dropped the gun and pulled out a Lazarus patch and slapped it onto the assassin. 2d6-1 vs. DF 6: roll = 6. The Lazarus patch worked, but the assassin is unconscious and critically wounded. McKie recovered the gun (shots = 6).

End of Scene Three
Threads:
McKie has gained some information towards this.
Side Threads:
Telephone number of the Doctor, Telephone number of the Broker
NPC's:
Syros Security Services, "Boss" Turner, Sally Cliveden, Spaceport desk clerk, The Imani Pact, the Assassin
Chaos:
Unchanged at 5

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:45 am 

Scene Four
* Chaos = 5
McKie is in the apartment in the Monarch hotel. He has been attacked by an assassin, who is currently lying on the floor critically wounded. McKie picks up the phone to call the number of the doctor he obtained earlier.
Modified? Roll = 6: No.

Does the doctor answer? (50/50, C5): Roll 86: No
Does someone else answer? (50/50, C5): Roll 71: No
Was the call traced? (50/50, C5): Roll 09: Yes

McKie sat and marshalled his thoughts. He was an agent for the Syros Security Service, some time ago he had encountered the Imani Pact, who were a group of insurgents. They had kidnapped an Exchange VIP and held them hostage on an orbital station in the Syros system. McKie was part of the rescue attempt, which was a success. He was here on Gateway Station to do a mission, but all his memories were gone. He woke up in a room next to a dead body. The assassin told him that the Imani Pact did not tolerate loose ends and that he had killed the man in the room, setting back their plans by months.

McKie searched the assassin, he was wearing janitor's clothing. He was carrying a spare magazine for the auto pistol and a business card for a night club. It matched the card that McKie found earlier in the apartment.

Night Club - "The Crimson Palace", down in the Entertainment District.

McKie grabbed the phone and called the number of the broker

Does the broker answer? (50/50, C5): Roll 79: No
Does someone else answer? (50/50, C5): Roll 81: No
Was the call traced? (50/50, C5): Roll 27: Yes
Does an Imani hit squad arrive? (Somewhat Likely): Roll 38: Yes

McKie was suddenly alerted to the sound of the elevator arriving. Glancing back at the unconscious assassin, he toyed with the idea of finishing him off; but it would be a waste of ammunition. He ran out of the apartment towards the emergency stairs.

Does McKie make it to the stairs before the hit squad arrive? (50/50, C5): Roll 19: Yes

End of Scene Four
Threads:
Side Threads:
The "Crimson Palace" night club
NPC's:
Syros Security Services, "Boss" Turner, Sally Cliveden, Spaceport desk clerk, The Imani Pact, the Assassin, Imani Pact hit squad
Chaos:
+1 to 6 (McKie wasn't in control of this situation)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:57 pm 

Scene Five
* Chaos = 6
McKie is in the Entertainment District of Gateway Station, heading for the "Crimson Palace" night club.
Modified? Roll 1: Altered

McKie made it out of the Monarch hotel, but the Imani hit squad followed him and are in pursuit.

*Dodging through the streets; roll Evasion vs. Evasion. If Mckie wins or ties, he evades and hides successfully. If he fails, Imani get a shot at him.

Round One
McKie: ES 14: Roll 12: Success.
Imani: ES 14: Roll 11: Success, but McKie rolled higher so successfully hides.

McKie need to find somewhere to lie low and heal. He can't go to a medical centre with a gunshot wound. He pulls his phone and calls Sally Cliveden.

Does Sally answer? (Very Likely, C6): Roll 51: Yes

"Sally, It's McKie, the guy you found in the power station. Listen, I'm in a spot of bother and could do with some help"

[GM: I didn't check Sally's reaction to this, I know from earlier that she had a Reaction of "Interested" and that she wants to be something better than a Power Tech. Logic suggests that she goes along with this.]

"Sounds like fun. Where are you, I'll pick you up."

McKie gave the grid co-ordinates of the alley he was in [GM: I haven't yet worked out how addresses will work on a Bernal Sphere].

Does Sally arrive before the Imani do? (50/50, C6): Roll 63: Yes.
Is she using a conventional electric shuttle car? (50/50, C6): Roll 62: Yes

An electric shuttle car pulled up, the logo read "Gateway Power Services". Sally leaned out and called "jump in the back, quick." McKie did so and she accelerated away from the alley.

"Where are we going?". McKie struggled round to talk to her.
"Somewhere safe. Now, tell me what's going on. I'm not stupid, someone's put a bullet into you since we last talked. Didn't you pay your hotel bill?"
"You're right. I've had a disagreement with some local businessmen who believe that I owe them something. I need to lie low and heal, whilst I work out my next move."

Roll Persuade + Charisma @ DF 6: Roll 5. Sally isn't fooled, but again, based on her character, goes along with the story.

End of Scene Five
Threads:
Side Threads:
The "Crimson Palace" night club
NPC's:
Syros Security Services, "Boss" Turner, Sally Cliveden, Spaceport desk clerk, The Imani Pact, the Assassin, Imani Pact hit squad
Chaos:
Stays at 6

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:54 pm 

Scene Six
* Chaos = 6

McKie has been rescued by Sally Cliveden from the Imani hit squad. They are currently in a deserted part of Gateway Station, where the old Jump Gate used to be.
Modified? Roll 6: Interrupt.
Focus: PC Negative (McKie) (Release - Ambush)

As the shuttle rolled to a stop, McKie jumped out of the back, pulled the SA he had taken off the assassin and aimed at Sally.

Sally's Reaction? Roll 8: Interested.

"McKie? What are you doing? Why are you pointing that gun at me?

"This is all too easy. You "just happened" to be in the power plant when I was locked up there …

"I work there ..."

"Shut up and listen. You accepted my story about why I was in that room and didn't question that I was locked in there. Next thing, you get a call from me saying I'm in trouble. You don't question it, you come straight away; notice that I've got a bullet wound and take me off into hiding. Ordinary people would have tried to take me to a medical centre for treatment. You didn't. Therefore, you are not an ordinary person. So, who are you?

Does Sally have a secret persona? (A Sure Thing, C6): Roll 44e: Yes
Event: Close a Thread: Change -Realities

Suddenly the lights blazed bright and the surroundings of the Jump Gate melted away. McKie and Sally struggled back to reality, strapped into VR Simulation chairs. McKie glanced at his shoulder; blood stained his tunic and it hurt like hell.

"You bastards! Why couldn't you have shot me in VR?" A muffled snigger came over the speakers from the Control Room.

The door to the VR training simulator slid open and a gaunt figure approached the chairs. It was Colonel Head. He stood and slowly looked at Sally and McKie.

"My office in five minutes", he grated, He turned and looked up at the Control Room.

"Agent McKie has suffered Grade One non-simulation damage. Who authorised this?"

There was a mumble of words over the speaker. "I didn't hear that. Whoever was responsible will report to the Agony Booth for Grade One treatment. If no-one reports within the next sixty minutes then all of the current duty roster will report for Grade Two treatment."

End Of Adventure
Date: 3213 - 145

Several days later, McKie and Sally were sat in Colonel Head's office. The office was spartan, consisting of a desk, chairs, a computer terminal, commlink and a poster of the Syros Council. McKie is fully healed. Colonel Head was studying a set of reports on a screen. He turned to face the two agents.

"Based on the latest simulation and analysis of the previous tests, it is clear that having you operate separately in the target area will not work. The Syros Council has instructed that you are to be sent in as a team.

XP awarded = 1000

=================================================================================================================
Afterword on Not What It Seems

Hmm. That didn't go at all like I was expecting. However, it does illustrate how using solo engines like Mythic can throw an unexpected curve ball into the mix, and it has set up an interesting background for the next Game.

Before the next Game. I need to set up some Factions as per the CR. I'll post these in a separate Thread.