SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:20 pm

All times are UTC

"Fun" setting or "Professional" setting?
"Fun" setting 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
"Professional" setting 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 2
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:39 am 

This is something I'm finding difficult to decide on. There are two main options about Alkonost. The first is a "professional" setting - that is, while published freely through the Infinite Stars Cooperative or the resurrected Infinite Stars fanzine, would be its own, self-contained, commercial-grade "product", based on the SWN setting and sourcebooks, but contain almost "pure" new material. This will look the best as a big PDF, and might be enjoyable to publish.

The other option is to dial down the originality meter and do a "fun" setting - that is, drop in whatever published SWN adventures (such as Hard Light), locations (Polychrome) and material (such as the stuff presented in the Mandate Archive supplements), and maybe even Traveller adventures converted to SWN (maybe even Chamax?), for the greater fun of running this as an actual game setting for actual players; this will be published on my blog anyway.

What do you think would be a better option for me to do?

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:43 pm 

Why not do both? Publish Alkonost as a "professional" setting, then on your website offer the "fun" stuff as web enhancements to the existing material.

Star Trek: Alpha Quadrant: The game Mongoose failed to make. (File Updated 5/19)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:10 am 

The only issue I would have would be the market size of a Professional Version. It would likely take more work to develop this as a Professional Setting, but would the extra effort be worth the sales figures?

If you do it for fun, you can just drop in all kinds of stuff without worrying about the source.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:22 am 

In any case this will not be for sale, just a "professional" level free publication.

But I think I will simply do it as a "fun" setting, and drop in all the fun SWN material I can add to make this enjoyable. Then win the local players to play it.

The publication method will be by my "Space Cockroach's Hideout" blog, so fun it is, unless someone has a convincing argument the other way around.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King