SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:21 am 

How many Marines, and/or grav-tanks can a Bruxelles-class Battlecruiser (as per the Mandate Archive) carry? The default number of Marines is given as 25, but the text says the ship can hold many more troops. The reason I'm asking this is that I want one of teh polities in my Alkonost setting for SWN to be ruled by a former Mandate captain, who used his old, semi-crippled Bruxelles as well as a Marine regiment in TL5 Power Armour, to build an empire, and essentially to bully nearby worlds into becoming his vassals.

Also, I have to think about what this captain did during the Silence - maybe he and his crew slept in Cryo? Or maybe he was awake, and in control of the world, for centuries, thanks to anagathics, eventually building a navy? I do gravitate towards the cryo side of things: world recovers from the Scream, starts primitive sublight interplanetary exploration; finds the old, drifting Bruxelles, and inadvertently re-awakens the Captain, who promptly uses his decaying pre-Scream forces to install himself as the Eternal President over the world, and eventually founds the New Terran Mandate.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:14 pm 

The nice thing about SWN, is that you can make it as big as you want. A Battlecruiser is bigger than most ships in the Post-Scream era, so just make it as big as you need. Of course in the intervening time, the numbers would naturally have been exagerated (or shrunk if you wanted the troopers to appear more heroic).

So, say there were 1,000 troops.

The enemies and conquered territories might say that there were actually 10,000 troops so it appears that the invading force was so overwhelming they had no choice but to surrender.

The troopers themselves tell the story that they conquered everything in site with only 100 troopers. See how brave we were?

History is full of things like that were after just a few decades it might be almost impossible to get the real numbers...

This isn't Traveller, so the Bruxelle holds as many Troopers as you need for the story... :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:43 pm 

The story so far (as I'm building it in my head):

The Mandate Bruxelles-class Battlecruiser Mumbai was in deep patrol, with a full marine battalion onboard, when the Scream hit in 2665. With its Psychic navigator instantly killed in the shockwave, it dropped out of Drillspace far outside the Kedesh system in the Alkonost region. Its engines severely damaged by the sudden dimensional shift, and unable to drill back into drillspace, the Mumbai faced 400 years of sublight travel back to the local colony at the minimal remaining thrust. Captain Aharon Durnhal and his crew thus entered cryosleep in hope of surviving the slow creep to settled space.

Meanwhile, the world of Kedesh, a former promising industrial colony on the high frontier, made its own slow climb to recovery following the Scream. In 3054, it launched its first orbital flight, and in 3061, staged landings on its two moons. When Kedeshian radio telescopes picked up a strange radio transmission - the Mumbai's distress beacon - from orbit in 3065, a spacecraft was sent to investigate, and its pilot boarded the enormous, highly advanced ship, and soon inadvertently activated the cryo-revival process. The revived crew and captain were quick to capture and interrogate the low-tech interlopers, and soon after they used the ship's many shuttles to land at Kedesh's capital and present themselves as representatives of the long-absent Terran Mandate. Having enough firepower to wipe out anything in their path, even with crippled engines, they quickly installed themselves as Kedesh's new rulers, establishing the New Terran Mandate.

The ship lacked heavy manufacturing equipment, or even experts in manufacturing apart from the partial knowledge of the ship's engineers, but with enough hard work, and many sacrifices forced upon the Kedeshian population, TL4 was reached in 3111, and soon after ships were sent all over the Sector to start building the new Mandate.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:12 pm 

I think I like the version you've just described.

"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

-----------------------------------------------------------
Also not a Dave.